Dawia SV SERIES 103H - casting distance

Started by cbburke, March 19, 2018, 09:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbburke

Those who have the SV Series (SV 103H). How is your casting distance with this reel.

Since I tend to 80% bank fishing. For example, I was throwing the chatterbait the other day with 3/8 and 1/2oz from the bank.  The reel's magdial is set at 4.  I have to admit that I was hoping it would perform well but it was averaging 25 to 30 yards or something that with the 736CB Glass using yo-zuri 12 lbs line.   

The OG Zillion 100SHA with 1/2oz rattletrap which I can unload over half a spool on the Dobyns Champion 704C with the same line.

Is there something that I overlooked ?

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

LgMouthGambler

SV spools are not made for distance casting, they are made for control. You want distance, you will have to try a 1016 or Type R (red inductor) spool with a smaller rotor for less braking force.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Princeton_Man

Don't know all the technical stuff that Matt knows, but I can testify that the Type R's are rocket launchers compared to my other reels. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SFL BassHunter

The SV casts really well. But it wont win any contests. Like LMG said it's more of a cast control reel.
But my CT and Type R both cast a longer distance.  With ZR bearings on both they are extremely impressive. They did make the Ttpe R overly sensitive though. So getting it dialed in with the right tension and brakes isn't as easy as it used to be. But once you've got it dialed it launches a 1/16 oz bullet weight and a uvibe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bud Kennedy

I purchased my Daiwa SVTW103 reels for control and they certainly have delivered.  However casts are in the 30 to 50 yard range depending upon lure type.  Frankly I don't understand why more distance would be required under most circumstances.  I am curious to understand what distance you wish to achieve?

Captsteve

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 20, 2018, 03:39:31 AM
SV spools are not made for distance casting, they are made for control. You want distance, you will have to try a 1016 or Type R (red inductor) spool with a smaller rotor for less braking force.

<")))>{
yes my type R is great for distace.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: cbburke on March 19, 2018, 09:54:07 PM
Those who have the SV Series (SV 103H). How is your casting distance with this reel.

Since I tend to 80% bank fishing. For example, I was throwing the chatterbait the other day with 3/8 and 1/2oz from the bank.  The reel's magdial is set at 4.  I have to admit that I was hoping it would perform well but it was averaging 25 to 30 yards or something that with the 736CB Glass using yo-zuri 12 lbs line.   

The OG Zillion 100SHA with 1/2oz rattletrap which I can unload over half a spool on the Dobyns Champion 704C with the same line.

That reel serves as my main frogging reel. Granted a frog is pretty heavy lure, and taking that into consideration, the reel launches the frog into orbit if your not careful. Lol

cbburke

Quote from: Bassinlou on March 20, 2018, 06:47:40 AM
That reel serves as my main frogging reel. Granted a frog is pretty heavy lure, and taking that into consideration, the reel launches the frog into orbit if your not careful. Lol

That is exactly what I want - I want it to launch to orbit !
I will go back and try it again to see what the fuss is or I will just swap that with the Scorpion 70

pjl63

Silly question, but if you noted that the Zillion on a different rod casting a different lure has better distance, have you tried the SV103 on that particular rod with the same lure to see your results? 

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: pjl63 on March 20, 2018, 08:55:35 AM
Silly question, but if you noted that the Zillion on a different rod casting a different lure has better distance, have you tried the SV103 on that particular rod with the same lure to see your results?
As I was reading these comments that's what I was thinking, but no one mentioned that it may be more the rod than the reel.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SFL BassHunter

Sorry my comment was based on the Tatula SV. Not the SV 103...my bad.

I have seen Lou launch a frog on that 103 though, it's impressive.

Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 20, 2018, 09:15:14 AM
Sorry my comment was based on the Tatula SV. Not the SV 103...my bad.

I have seen Lou launch a frog on that 103 though, it's impressive.

Im pretty sure that his is not stock.  ~shade
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 20, 2018, 09:17:07 AM
Im pretty sure that his is not stock.  ~shade
Doh.....great point... forgot about that.

cbburke

LMG - you got my attention :-)

What did you do on his "Stock" to make it a Lamborghini ?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cbburke on March 20, 2018, 10:58:22 AM
LMG - you got my attention :-)

What did you do on his "Stock" to make it a Lamborghini ?
Just a little tunin.

<")))>{

cbburke

For the 1016 - would that be this ?

Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1016SV-H 6.3:1

Reason I'm hesitate since I am not feeling the T-wings. if I should just try one out, I would have to trade the SV103H for that.

LgMouthGambler

No, I meant the 1016 spool that fits the TDZ/Steez. Not the TWS reel.

<")))>{

cbburke

LgMouthGambler

cbburke

Thanks LMG -

I plan to get that - hopefully it will make a difference

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cbburke on March 25, 2018, 02:08:25 PM
Thanks LMG -

I plan to get that - hopefully it will make a difference
Check out BBC , and look at Rocks post. He's got a SV103 spool with the TDZ Type R+ upgraded brake spring. Might be a good buy for you.

<")))>{

cbburke

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: cbburke on March 19, 2018, 09:54:07 PM

Do you have the spool set with just barely side-to-side play?  I kept a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait on my SV103H/7' MHF Jupiter while recently visiting in Florida.  Was getting more distance than that with the reel straight out of the box.

cbburke

Yeah, I have tried several but noticed that it does better with light lures instead of 1/2 oz. I am going to get Daiwa Steez 103HA R+ Spool from tackle trap based on their recommendation to help with the casting distance. 

Im double checking on that before I pull the trigger

Just like LMG quoted the other say on different forum:

"Dont be that guy with the Porsche that freaks about the price of tires. Lol"

Now - that was a  ~roflmao  MOMENT !