Bass Pro Shops XPS IT2 5 Onboard Battery Charger

Started by offshoremedic, March 20, 2018, 10:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offshoremedic

Debating on investing in an on board charger. I don't wanna break the bank, and the XPS IT2 is about what I'm willing to spend. Wondering about some pro's and con's to this unit? Or if its really worth it.
Should I just stay with the old faithful "battery trickle charger" when she's under the garage?
Any and all insight on this would be greatly appreciated!!
"Education is Important... but Bass Fishing is More Importanter"

Princeton_Man

I can't attest to the quality or performance of the BPS chargers, but the XPS IT2 should be a huge improvement over your trickle chargers.

According to the specs and literature, it's a smart charger. It charges when the battery falls below full charge, then monitors (without charging). It can either sense or be set for AGM batteries which charge at a different rate than flooded cells. Your batteries won't cook away and should last longer.

I've become a fan of the Noco Genius charger.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cojab

I have that charger and it seems to work fine. It really has some nice features for the money like PM mentioned. I see now it's $179. I think I paid $159.
This is the second one I have owned. The first one I had to return but it was my fault. I had it mounted under my seat and that area flooded after a big rain. As I recall the unit is supposed to be waterproof. Mine failed after that incident. BPS exchanged it with no real hassle.
The second one I've had for two years now and it has been flawless. You can keep the unit plugged in all the time but I tend to take it off after charging up during the summer and during the winter I'll plug it in for a few days every month.
I have been very satisfied with mine. Especially for the cost.
TTK has spoken.

offshoremedic

I ended up canceling the XPS on board charger and going with the Noco Genius charger. I read way to many negative reviews on it through BP, and through general reviews on line. I feel the Genius Charger would best suit my needs. I appreciate the feedback guys, and always value your opinions.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: offshoremedic on March 21, 2018, 05:48:16 AM
I ended up canceling the XPS on board charger and going with the Noco Genius charger. I read way to many negative reviews on it through BP, and through general reviews on line. I feel the Genius Charger would best suit my needs. I appreciate the feedback guys, and always value your opinions.

Did you go with the GEN3?

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

offshoremedic

Quote from: Princeton_Man on March 21, 2018, 06:32:51 AM
Did you go with the GEN3?
Yes sirrrr...
I did some research on this end, and it had really high reviews

Sent from Galaxy 8+

Princeton_Man

Quote from: offshoremedic on March 21, 2018, 06:36:13 AM
Yes sirrrr...
I did some research on this end, and it had really high reviews

Sent from Galaxy 8+

That's what I have and couldn't be any happier with it. I did the same research when my ProMariner Pro Sport quit charging one bank. I have three type 31 Duracells and I almost believe they perform even better since I installed the Noco last year.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

offshoremedic

It should be here tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes.

Sent from Galaxy 8+

cojab

Quote from: offshoremedic on March 21, 2018, 05:48:16 AM

Good deal. Either way you go they are way more convienient than a trickle charger.
TTK has spoken.

offshoremedic

The NOCO charger has been awesome, does what it says, and it was a great investment this far. Thanks for all the input guys. Headed in the morning to jerk some lips! (Hopefully anyway)..
Happy fishing all!

Sent from Galaxy 8+

Thornback

I may be in the minority but because most good batteries give up the ghost between 4 to 6 years I don't see going overboard on price for a charger. Maybe an electrical engineer on the Forum can better educate us. I do like the expensive batteries and recently purchased my first AGM battery. I don't use my on-board charger for my Bass Tracker because it has only lights to indicate the charging process. Plus you have to be a contortionist to look at the lights. I use a Sears 6A 12V charger with meter that I purchased over 30 years ago. I think I paid $20 for it. I can watch the meter and tell when the battery is fully charged and the charger claims it will not overcharge. I can tell you this -- I used to charge submarine batteries and the process was to give them a hard charge and once the correct specific gravity was reached we held the charge at "Zero Float" for about an hour.

Oldfart9999

Short answer, new chargers will charger but not over charge, charge at a rate that won't drive off the liquid, the latest will disulfide and maintain your batteries over the long haul giving you best usage and life. They really are worth what you pay for them.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Pretty much echoing what Rodney just said...

Many new battery designs have hit the market since the old standard flooded cell lead acid battery. The flooded cell lead acid remains the least expensive, but the new AGM, spiral wrap AGM, and Lithium batteries offer longer life and flatter discharge rates. They also require very different charge rates.

The new high dollar microprocessor controlled chargers sense the battery composition and adjust the charging rates to the battery which in turn results in longer life of the battery. Some of these new chargers perform conditioning (dissulfide) functions that improve a battery's performance as well. They monitor the battery, it's charge, the temperature, and apply charge at a determined rate when necessary.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club