First Dobyns Rod question

Started by kolinpetty, March 21, 2018, 01:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kolinpetty

Hey guys, I'm looking to get my first Dobyns rod, as I've heard so many good things about them. Being still in college, I'm looking at the Fury series. I want a solid all around jig and t-rig rod. I'd like to be able to throw anything from 1/4 oz to 1 oz. This range fits the 734C, but since I like a beefier rod would a 735C be fine? I just don't want to lose sensitivity and distance, or have too much rod for my application, and I also don't know how I feel about an extra fast tip. But I also don't want to be constantly stressing the rod. There are no Dobyns rod dealers near me so I can't test them out, so I'm relying on you experienced Dobyns guys. This forum has been super helpful so far, but I just need some reassurance before I buy. Thanks all!

Lipripper

Well since i don't have one I can't help you much but there are lots of members around here that own several Dobyns Rod in every model and power who will be glad to help you out and Gary even drops by here a lot also so just be patient cause  :help: will be on the way. ;D Oh and welcome to UB.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

kolinpetty

Hey Lipripper, I appreciate it! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Lipripper

Quote from: kolinpetty on March 21, 2018, 01:58:24 PM
Hey Lipripper, I appreciate it! Thanks for the warm welcome.
Oh I sent you a PM with a couple of link . One for a spot to introduce yourself to everyone around here and another one to the New members contest where you could win some Mr Twister baits.  :)

Princeton_Man

I don't have any Fury series but I do have several Dobyns Savvy 734 rods and I can say they have great backbone and probably the most versatile rods I own.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

bassmanstan

I don't have the 734 in the fury, but I do have a 703, and a 766 flipping stick in the fury series. I do have a 734 Sierra series and that rod is awesome, I'd say plenty of backbone. My 766 fury is pretty heavy so I would tend to stay with the lighter rods in the fury series if it were me. Personally though I'd say if you really want to be blown away, step it up a few bucks to the Sierra 734 and you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDV

It's worth noting that neither the 734 or 735 in the Fury series have an Extra Fast tip; both are fast.  The Champion series 735 rod is the one with the extra fast tip.

I've got both the 734 and 735 in the Fury series, and If you're really wanting to be able to regularly throw 1oz, then the 735 is the better rod for that.  The 735 is a great frog rod as well and will hit the backbone faster and not have as much of a moderate action as the 734 is designed to be a more versatile rod and will have a more forgiving tip for more techniques.

If you know you like beefier rods, will be fishing Jigs and will be throwing up to 1 oz regularly, I'd recommend the Fury 735.  Casting distance will definitely be more limited with stuff as light as 1/4 oz as it really doesn't load up the rod.  I fished a 1/3oz hollow body frog this past weekend, and even that was a too light to really load it so my casts weren't getting out as far as I'd like.  Let us know what you end up with and how you like it!

kolinpetty

JDV, thanks for the insight.

I wouldn't say that I regularly throw 1 oz baits, I'd say the majority of the baits I'm throwing are in the 3/8 to 1/2 oz range, occasionally 3/4 oz. Based on what you said the 734C would be best for that, correct? I'm just weary because I have a medium heavy fenwick that I originally bought for worm/jig techniques and it's almost too soft to set the hook. From my research a lot of people have said that Dobyns fishes a rating lighter than what is listed, which is why I was curious as to if the mag heavy would fish more like a heavy, heavy fish more like a medium heavy, and so on.

kolinpetty

Eventually I plan to own both a 734C and 735C, just trying to figure out which to spend my money first on for when the water warms up here in Ohio.

Lipripper

Quote from: kolinpetty on March 21, 2018, 02:54:16 PM
Eventually I plan to own both a 734C and 735C, just trying to figure out which to spend my money first on for when the water warms up here in Ohio.
Have you check on Gary's site to see if he had any mislabeled rods that you could get for a little less money? I know I have read around here of folks getting some great deals off the mislabeled rack.

kolinpetty

Yeah Lipripper, I checked. All I found (for what I'm looking for) was a savvy 734C with a slight bend in the blank. Whenever I purchase a 705CB I'm definitely going for the mislabeled route.

Dink Dawg

I agree with JVD's assessment.  The sweet spot for the 735 is 1/2-5/8 ounce and handles 3/4 well enough. A full ounce will is the far end of the spectrum for sure. The real plus of the 735 is it has tip, loads very well but has great power. Both models are balanced like all Dobyns models. If you feel your going to fishing 3/4 or more then the 735 is your starting point. 

Doug

JDV

Quote from: kolinpetty on March 21, 2018, 02:51:40 PM
JDV, thanks for the insight.

I wouldn't say that I regularly throw 1 oz baits, I'd say the majority of the baits I'm throwing are in the 3/8 to 1/2 oz range, occasionally 3/4 oz. Based on what you said the 734C would be best for that, correct? I'm just weary because I have a medium heavy fenwick that I originally bought for worm/jig techniques and it's almost too soft to set the hook. From my research a lot of people have said that Dobyns fishes a rating lighter than what is listed, which is why I was curious as to if the mag heavy would fish more like a heavy, heavy fish more like a medium heavy, and so on.

Hmm, well for total weights of 3/8 to 1/2 I like casting them a bit better on the 734, but then again, I don't fish jigs with my 734 or anything requiring a hard hookset.  I mainly use it for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, soft plastic swimbaits, whopper plopper, etc... Personally I think they fish pretty close to maybe a 1/2 a rating lighter, but yes it is commonly thought that their rods fish lighter than others, but it just depends what you have fished previously to compare it to and I haven't fished a Fenwick unfortunately to make a direct comparison there.  I haven't used a 704, but I've heard the 704 (same power, 3" shorter) fishes a tiny bit stiffer, so maybe that might be a touch better for jigs and T-Rigs if the length isn't too big of a deal?  Perhaps some others here that use these rods more for what you plan on using it for can be a bit more helpful.

Also, the ebay mobile app is currently offering 20% off purchases until March 26th with the code "Prettyday" and they are brand new, tax free, with free shipping coming from the American Legacy Fishing store.  I've ordered a few rods from them and they are packed well and shipped quickly and come to $87.99 total for the Furys with the discount.

JDV

Quote from: kolinpetty on March 21, 2018, 03:26:04 PM
Yeah Lipripper, I checked. All I found (for what I'm looking for) was a savvy 734C with a slight bend in the blank. Whenever I purchase a 705CB I'm definitely going for the mislabeled route.

That Fury 705cb is awesome!  It was my first Dobyns rod and one I use more than any other as I've really enjoyed fishing jerkbaits and lipless cranks the past 3-4 months and it is a ton of fun to fish.  Planning on adding the Champion 704cb soon!

kolinpetty

JDV, you are a life saver with that Ebay discount. I now need to make a decision quicker than expected lol.

My first rod was an Abu Garcia Medium Heavy, and that thing is like a broom stick, but I kind of liked it because I could really get a good hookset. Rated for 1/4-1 oz. I would just use that rod, but I want to upgrade to some more sensitivity, and the Dobyns will be my first rod over $100. I agree it would make sense for the 704 to be a little more stout.

I guess my main question is if the 735 would be too stout for those lures in the lower end of its range (1/4-1/2 oz). From what I've heard the 735 has a fast tip but it gets to the backbone of the rod quick.

kolinpetty

Dink Dawg, if I typically fish presentations in the 1/4-1/2 oz range but want a little more backbone, would the 735 still load up? Say I was pitching or casting like a senko with a 1/4 oz tungsten.

JDV

a 5" senko is 3/8oz actually, so with a 1/4oz weight the total weight would be 5/8oz, which would cast fine on the 735.

Smallie_Stalker

You could always call Dobyns and speak to someone directly. Often you can actually get Richard Dobyns on the line. They are great folks to talk to, the entire crew is extremely knowledgeable and they are super patient so you can ask as many questions as you need and they will answer them all.

Their number is 1 (530) 671-1989

~sun
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

In the Fury series the best option is the 735 for those weights and techniques. Casting and pitching with the 735 will be no problem. I use a DC736 and pitch some of the same weights in heavy cover.

The best rods for these techniques is the DC744 and DX745. 
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

kolinpetty

Hey guys, I ended up ordering the Fury 735! I already have a couple of medum heavy rods, and I decided I needed something heavier. I might try to buy the Colt 734C for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits and whatnot. Thanks for all your help!

zippyduck

The chatterbait on the 734 is going to shake your arm off. But it will be great for spinnerbaits and senkos.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

JDV and the guys gave you some great info  ~c~ Let us know what you think

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service