Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 or 2 piece?  (Read 970 times)

IKfish

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
1 or 2 piece?
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:41:32 AM »

I have heard people say their rods snapped in half when they were 2 piece. However, it would be extremely beneficial as far as portability to have 2 piece, especially when bank/kayak fishing.
When buying fishing rods, will you choose one or two piece model? :-\

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: 1 or 2 piece?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 04:43:49 AM »

Travel, 2. Regular fishing, 1.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:08 AM »

Have to agree with Matt on the travel rod. I'd even be willing to try a high quality multi-piece travel rod, but I wouldn't own another two piece for my regular fishing.

Some years back I had a rather nice Shimano two piece spinning rod. It was my favorite for Senkos and light weightless baits. My only problem was the dang thing would get loose when it got knocked around on the deck or in the rod locker. Nothing worse than grabbing a rod for a quick skip of a Senko when you spot that movement up at the bank and having the top half of the rod follow my bait. I solved the problem with a little JB Weld. About a year later I snapped the rod in a locker lid.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

pjl63

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:57:57 AM »

I'm a bank fisherman and all my rods are one piece, in the 7'0" to 7'3" range.  That being said, I drive a glorified station wagon so they can easily fit in my car.  If I had the same car I was driving 3 years ago, I might gravitate toward two piece rods.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »

I have both. Don't remember who it was here, but someone who had/has a mustang pointed out to me that he lets down one of his rear seats to fit his rods in the trunk.
I have a pass through hatch behind the rear center arm rest that I stick my rods through. My most used rods are 7' and 7'3".
Even with my two-piece rods, I NEVER take them apart. For no other reason than I don't have to.
That may also be why mine have never unexpectedly come apart on me either. I push the two pieces together, check to make sure they're straight, then push them together very firmly. Like, firmly enough that I become curious as to whether or not it'll break.

I have no real reason to have a two piece rod. The ones I have just sort of happened. If I were backpacking I'd get a telescoping rod, but I had enough of that crap in Afghanistan.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »

Please excuse the mess. It just kinda accumulates.

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »

Please excuse the mess. It just kinda accumulates.

throwing hatchet

~shade

:surrender:

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »

I have heard people say their rods snapped in half when they were 2 piece. However, it would be extremely beneficial as far as portability to have 2 piece, especially when bank/kayak fishing.
When buying fishing rods, will you choose one or two piece model? :-\

Your/They are talking about them coming 'APART' not actually 'breaking in two'......right.

A two piece is no more susceptible to actual 'breakage' than a one piece.

But for Kayak fishing, I do at times use my 6'6"s as opposed to the 7'ers and above.....but to have to piece a 'two piece' together 'on water', to me anyways, is more cumbersome than having a longer rod.
I also have a 6' baitcaster that see's action from my Kayak.

But if you have multiple 'two piece' rods in the Kayak all except the one you are using.....I think your just asking for surprises.......like a tip getting knocked in the water.

Transportation and your vehicles dynamics is a different story.
I have pass through seating too.......and I use a Malibu....so the front seat ALSO folds down flat.
You will never see me without multiple rods in my car during season........never know when I'll drive by a puddle that just may have a bass in it;) lo   
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »

throwing hatchet

~shade

:surrender:
You just never know dude.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »

You just never know when a good hatchet will come in handy down there.  ;D SHC bout the only one I can think of that would of posted something about rods in a Mustang would of been Rick from down in Florida.
All my rods are two piece except my LSCR and my Ugly Stick UL which is not quite 4' long.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »

I've never broken a 2 piece rod.

Only 1 rod I ever broke was a 1 piece and it was a dumb move on my part.

Honestly growing up fishing saltwater our rods were all 2 piece and never had issues. I currently have  2 piece and a 3 piece spinning rods and again no issues.

I say get whatever is most convenient for you. The only time I would absolutely stay away from a 2 piece is if I am going to be throwing some super heavy big swimbaits or a punching rod that I will be punching into really thick Florida vegetation. Just for peace of mind.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 06:29:02 AM »

I always buy 1 piece, when I was a kid my Dad had both, depended what was on sale, didn't matter much they were all fiberglass buggy whips. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »

You just never know when a good hatchet will come in handy down there.  ;D SHC bout the only one I can think of that would of posted something about rods in a Mustang would of been Rick from down in Florida.
All my rods are two piece except my LSCR and my Ugly Stick UL which is not quite 4' long.
Lip, I believe you're right, I seem to recall it being Rick.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:08 AM »

I would much rather fish with the one piece, why add a possible fail point when you don't have to. That being said, when we go on vacation or a mini getaway, Mrs. cport gets very irate when I put my rods in the car and they essentially span from the back, over the rear seats, and then in between the two front seats. Does anyone know of some quality two piece baitcasting rods (besides a LSCR)? I picked up a decent Academy H2O graphite for spinning, a 6'6" M that is not a noodle, while I was in Orlando last weekend. It served me much better than the buggy whip ML I had brought along, caught about 14 bass at the resort pond where we were staying, and although I don't think it could horse anything out of cover, it made those 14 to 16 inchers fight like bosses.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

cojab

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »

I would much rather fish with the one piece, why add a possible fail point when you don't have to. That being said, when we go on vacation or a mini getaway, Mrs. cport gets very irate when I put my rods in the car and they essentially span from the back, over the rear seats, and then in between the two front seats. Does anyone know of some quality two piece baitcasting rods (besides a LSCR)? I picked up a decent Academy H2O graphite for spinning, a 6'6" M that is not a noodle, while I was in Orlando last weekend. It served me much better than the buggy whip ML I had brought along, caught about 14 bass at the resort pond where we were staying, and although I don't think it could horse anything out of cover, it made those 14 to 16 inchers fight like bosses.

Yep, I do a 1 piece also. I did buy a 2 piece travel rod last year for the exact reasons you mentioned. I bought the BPS Pro Qualifier 2 in a 7' MHF. Pretty decent rod for a $100 travel rod.
TTK has spoken.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »

Yep, I do a 1 piece also. I did buy a 2 piece travel rod last year for the exact reasons you mentioned. I bought the BPS Pro Qualifier 2 in a 7' MHF. Pretty decent rod for a $100 travel rod.
Thanks cojab, I will check that out. And tell the wife the new rods are her fault

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »

Thanks cojab, I will check that out. And tell the wife the new rods are her fault

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
There ya go!

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »

Anything under 7ft 6in I try to get one piece, but for carry reasons, longer rods are 2 piece.  I carry all my stuff in my pickup, so it really isn't an issue.  Getting them through some of the pier lobbies is the issue.

I never had a problem with rods coming apart or breaking at the ferrule.  I did buy some of the very cheap Schimano rods and they had a batch that the Ferrule was weak and split.  I wasn't sure if mine were in that batch so I just put a reinforcement wrap around the outside of the Ferrule and they worked great.

I would worry more about how the rod feels and works for me than how many pieces it is.  A little epoxy in the ferrule will make it a one piece rod in a heartbeat.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 07:06:05 AM »

never had issues with ferrules.  used to worry about this stuff too, but then as a recovering fly guy (hello, my name is...) I struggled when they went to 4-piece rods.  Now, most of them are that way.

that piece-to-piece join is way better today than they used to be.  Do have a couple of spinning rods that are two piece.  they actually help make the action a little stiffer.

I think this is much less a deal that the other direction my mind went:  depends on the woman wearing it.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Dobyns, NuTech, Doc Irv, Monster
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »

Back in the day I had a couple two piece rods but today they are all one piece. I remember retying a couple two piece rods years ago that I wrapped the ferrules for additional strength. It made the joint a little stronger when it was fiberglass and made the metal ones less obvious. In the fiberglass type it also made the rod a little stiffer in that area.
Most of the time I carried a two piece in my demo while covering my Territory. It was easier to store and hide from the Bosses.
All my personal flyrod builds had the ferrules wrapped for additional strength close to the top of the ferrule. I also offered it to customers if they wanted. I only did about an eighth to a quarter where I had some break on me.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

cojab

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »

I think this is much less a deal that the other direction my mind went:  depends on the woman wearing it.

lo lo I was thinkingthat way also.
TTK has spoken.

IKfish

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »

lo lo I was thinkingthat way also.

~roflmao Truly kind of that way. ~c~

Antrigen

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 09:04:11 AM »

I prefer a 1 piece rod. I used to use 2 pc Berkley Lighting rods but everyone broke after about a year at the ferule. I drive a Jeep Liberty so hauling 7' and longer 1 pc is a pain but it is worth it to me.

deepiper

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:29 PM »

The only 2 piece rod that I have used that broke where the 2 piece's fit together was a cheap Zebco rod that I used for panfish. I was fishing under a bridge and got hung up. The bottom part of the rod broke of and the top half went downstream. I threw the whole thing away.

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »

One piece.
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 24 queries.