Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Lews Rod  (Read 408 times)

Blacknredflake

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Old Lews Rod
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »

Forgot I had this in a closet.

What yall Bass Slaying vets know about this old stick?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
Re: Old Lews Rod
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »

I can't tell you much about the rod but I have several of those old 6000, 5500 and 6500 reels and still use them for salmon and steelhead.  Those are some tough reels.
I'm sure someone will have some information on the rod.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »

The reel looks pre 70's.  The rod is about 1982-84. I recall Lews added 6 footer about that time. I have several 5'6'' models.  It's a classic piece now. Brings back great memories for sure.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »

I can't see the pics on my PC so I'll have to check them from my phone later. I can say from personal experience that the old Speed Sticks were extremely good rods.
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:06:25 PM »

I have one from the late 70's or early 80's that I would have swore was newer than that one. It's (I think) 5' 4", MH... "SG" model with Gold screenprint. It was a GREAT rod for smaller spinnerbaits and short casts. It still has the silver 1978 5500C on it. HEAVY stuff...

Last time I saw it several years ago it was shedding wrappings and needed guides. Poor thing.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »

I have an old Lew's Crankin Stick among my guest rods that has the same type and color labeling. It's old but I couldn't begin to guess how old.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »

Now that I can see the pics I'd say you may be looking at something that goes back at least to the 1970's. I am all but positive it was before they licensed the brand to Browning which, if I remember correctly was 1989.

Here's something interesting from the internet that may reference that rod

"Founder Lew Childre pushed the boundaries on design and manufacture and built Lew's into one of the most recognizable performance brands in fishing. Anglers know that. What they might not know is how the brand began, the crucial role Childre played in fostering the Japan/U.S. tackle connection, and what happened to the brand after Childre's tragic 1977 death.

Opened Doors, Engineered Excellence

The story of the Lew's brand, in abbreviated form, began in the 1940s when Childre, who grew up along the Gulf Coast of Alabama, began to sell bait shrimp to local fishermen. The effort evolved into a small tackle shop, then into Childre's desire to manufacture a better and more consistent bamboo pole, which in turn sparked his passion to create better fishing products than any other available at the time.

His desire for a better bamboo rod led him to Japan, where he circulated among a group of manufacturers very interested in the U.S. fishing market, foremost of which was Fuji, with rod components far advanced beyond what U.S. anglers had seen. The resultant friendship and partnership with Fuji founder Mr. Omura brought the company's components into the U.S. market for the first time.

Childre's connection to the Japan manufacturing scene also kept him plugged into the latest advances in rodbuilding materials. After the development of Lew's fiberglass telescoping Bream Buster poles, then came the Speed Stick graphite rods with Fuji rod guides (non-welded guides and aluminum oxide guide rings), Fuji reel seats and the Childre-designed, Fuji-manufactured pistol-grip handles.

In order to build a better reel, Childre partnered with the Shimano company, which took his design concepts and created the Speed Spool BB-1 casting reel in 1973 the first low-profile baitcaster that marked a profound departure from the round levelwinds of the day.

The timing shouldn't be forgotten. The early 1970s was an era of frequently bitter feelings from U.S. citizens toward Japan. On the one hand was Childre's father's generation, which had known Japan largely through war. On the other was Childre's generation, which also suffered war, but also saw its manufacturing base of middle-class jobs disappear as Asian imports cars, clothes, steel, electronics, toys, appliances swelled to previously unimaginable volumes.

Yet Childre carved out that initial relationship between Japan and the U.S. market, based on the mutual desire to improve equipment, as well as the love of fishing that both nations shared."

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:01:16 PM by Smallie_Stalker »
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 23 queries.