Fluorocarbon

Started by MarkusBett18, March 25, 2018, 10:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkusBett18

Hey! Recently I have been getting a lot of brain aches due to what is the best Fluorocarbon line. I have heard a lot of good things about Red Label Fluorocarbon and that it is really good for the price. But I have no idea, I want a good Fluorocarbon line that is pretty "affordable", please give me some answers!! thanks!

(Using the fluorocarbon for jigs and want the Fluoro for a main line@)

><(((º>        <º)))><

BassBUFF

I use the Segar Red Label and have found it to be a quality line. As with any floro line, be sure to check the line and retie if there are any nicks.

zippyduck

Red label is great for a leader. I use Berkley 100% for a mainline.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

When it comes to flouro, good and cheap seldom go together.. Red label isn't terrible but it doesn't handle as well as Abrasx or Invisx if you want to stay with Seaguar.
I like either Sniper or Shooter the best. Sniper handles better and although it's going to cost more up front it lasts well .

MarkusBett18

I'm open to any company or line! I go through line relatively quickly and don't have the funds to be dropping $30 on 200yrds of Fluoro. (I need the Fluoro for a main line and not a leader)
><(((º>        <º)))><

bassmanstan

I love the Pline tactical I've been using lately, it runs low 20s a 200yd on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

I hate fluoro, almost as much as I hate senkos.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

MarkusBett18

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 26, 2018, 07:57:57 AM

lo lo What are you a straight braid kinda guy??
><(((º>        <º)))><

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: MarkusBett18 on March 26, 2018, 08:06:43 AM

lo lo What are you a straight braid kinda guy??

Nope. Actually been trying to ween myself off that habit. I use 20# Seaguar Senshi mono. It has the diameter of 12# lines (0.013). Tougher than anything Ive used, and handles awesome, and very sensitive. I have no desire to ever use fluoro again. I see no advantages.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

analfisherman

Matt, DON'T HOLD BACK.............tell us how you really feel!  ~roflmao

Markus, got to ask.......why or what promoted this 'need' for flourocarbon?

Something you need/want to accomplish that your current lines are not accomplishing?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Eric-Maine

Red Label is great in a bait caster or as a leader. Buy it in 1000 yard spools during holiday sales. With any line you need to respool frequently, with costlier floro there is a temptation to not when you should have.

Pferox

I only use Red Label, but it is only for bite leaders.  About all Floro is good for in my book.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Oldfart9999

I jumped all over flouro when I first starter hearing of it and really didn't have much trouble with it but I started going to braid and using a flouro leader, using straight flouro for cranks. Now I'm switching over to straight braid for most of my fishing, cranks and there I'm going to try braid, and top water where the limpness can cause the hooks to tangle, I might try a leader there.
When you get old you start appreciating the extra sensitivity of braid. ;D ;D
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

loomisguy

I fish a lot and I can get sniper or shooter to last for 4 months or so.. If it starts to go bad just turn it around and use the end that was on the backing.

SFL BassHunter

I have red label and invisx at home. I like them both. I think invisx makes a better line if you are going straight fluoro. It is more manageable in my opinion and slightly better sensitivity.

If I am tying a leader for freshwater or saltwater I use the cheaper red label since I still get the sensitivity of braid.

Rarely use Fluoro though. Mostly all braid these days with the exception of a few reels that have Senshi mono on them. Senshi has all the good properties of Fluoro but it floats and none of the bad properties.
The reason I prefer Senshi mono is I can throw my cranks and topwaters + my bottom contact stuff and still get better bite detection than with most other mono
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Princeton_Man

I prefer Tatsu on my baitcasters but went to the Red Label on my spinning rigs and found it very acceptable. I fished primarily 6-8lb test on my spinning rigs and was going through far too much line to use Tatsu. The Red Label performed great.

I'm going back to braid on most of my spinning rigs. More economical, less retying, fewer break-offs.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

MarkusBett18

Quote from: analfisherman on March 26, 2018, 08:36:42 AM
Matt, DON'T HOLD BACK.............tell us how you really feel!  ~roflmao

Markus, got to ask.......why or what promoted this 'need' for flourocarbon?

Something you need/want to accomplish that your current lines are not accomplishing?

I want Fluoro due to the little stretch and the little visibility factor.
><(((º>        <º)))><

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: MarkusBett18 on March 26, 2018, 11:32:50 AM
I want Fluoro due to the little stretch and the little visibility factor.

dont get caught up in the "no stretch" factor. The truth is, fluoro stretches, and its most of the time worse than mono. Aaaaaaaand, when fluoro stretches, it becomes weaker as it doesnt go back to its prior shape, but rather stays in a stretched form. As far as visibility, I tried the "under water" test using a tank of water, I can see them all the same. You think a fish cares?

MarkusBett18

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 26, 2018, 01:27:25 PM
dont get caught up in the "no stretch" factor. The truth is, fluoro stretches, and its most of the time worse than mono. Aaaaaaaand, when fluoro stretches, it becomes weaker as it doesnt go back to its prior shape, but rather stays in a stretched form. As far as visibility, I tried the "under water" test using a tank of water, I can see them all the same. You think a fish cares?

Thank you for knocking some sense into me.. What do you think about like a Hybrid or Co-Polymer (KastKing FluoroCote)
><(((º>        <º)))><

Bassin_VA

The only hybrid I have used consistently is Yozuri 12lb on my baitcaster, but I did load some 6lb on the spinning rod. I really like the 12lb Yozuri. Over 12 and it tends to get like piano wire (in my opinion).  Got 600yds from Amazon for pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FlatsNBay

I use Red Label all the time and like it. I usually use 12 lb. on my crankbait rod and 15 on my worm & jig rod. I recently found it on clearance at Walmart for $3 a spool. I bought every spool that they had. Before that the best that I could find was $9 a spool at Academy..

loomisguy

Personally I really dislike braid.. flouro is a more sensitive line in my hands and the slack line sensitivity is better than mono..
Invisx is a great crankbait line. Has a bit more stretch than sniper and has the benefit of running the bait deeper.
I can see no disadvantage to a good quality flouro other than cost, as long as you spool it correctly and know how to tie it.

WTodd

Me too but it's a necessary evil when fishing flukes; I use it for a leader only. I'm a Florida braid guy but I'll use fluoro or mono for leaders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippyduck

Co-polys are what I use most. P-Line Flouroclear is my favorite and has had very few breakoffs. But I've never broke a fish off on braid. I do pull hooks out more often with braid though.

Oh and flouro and copolys stretch, like LMG said it does take a toll on it after a while.

Flouro is more sensitive on a slack line. Which is why I use a copoly as most of my fishing is on steep drop offs.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"