Fluoro vs Mono

Started by MarkusBett18, March 27, 2018, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkusBett18

There is a lot of controversy surrounded the two types of line (Fluoro vs Mono) "Can bass see mono" and is Fluoro worth it? what do you guys think?
><(((º>        <º)))><

LgMouthGambler

Negative on the fluoro. Aint got any use for that stuff down here. Good mono is all you need.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Ddyyak

I don't like straight flour carbon. But I love a hybrid flouro line from k9 fishing. The owner is from close by me but you can order on line and it is relatively inexpensive. It is strong as heck and I usually can go down in test. I highly recommend and have no connection to the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: MarkusBett18 on March 27, 2018, 08:29:34 PM
There is a lot of controversy surrounded the two types of line (Fluoro vs Mono) "Can bass see mono" and is Fluoro worth it? what do you guys think?

see it?  probably.  that said, I use flouro for it's abrasion resistance and mono for some select topwater applications.

analfisherman

"Can bass see mono"

Depends on the water color...clear maybe not.....BUT even if they can........THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS THAT THEY ARE SEEING.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

loomisguy

Flouro for anything on the bottom and crankbaits. Mono for Topwater and sometimes stickbaits.

Pferox

There are some places around here that Flouro will make the difference when it comes to abrasion resistance, but in most areas it usually isn't worth the extra cost over a good high abrasive mono.

Even when it is needed only 4 to 10 feet on the end of the line, so a top shot works and costs are kept down.

To see or not to see is a moot point around here in the stained and murky waters, heck even the Gulf is greenish on a great day.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Antrigen

I use  mono on my ultra light rigs. I use fluoro as a leader when I am worming or deep cranking with rocks around for the abrasion resistance. Most of my fishing is done with braid.

coldfront

Quote from: analfisherman on March 27, 2018, 11:16:53 PM
Depends on the water color...clear maybe not.....BUT even if they can........THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS THAT THEY ARE SEEING.

they're quick enough to condition to stuff.  at times line visibility, line diameter, all make a difference.  not always for same reasons.

Analfisherman:  I respect my quarry an awful lot.  they're tough enough with that pea-sized brain for a guy like me.   lo

if I really wanted to up my catch rates, I'd dunk live bait a lot more.  I'd also troll a lot more.

SFL BassHunter

I don't know if the fish can see mono, or fluoro. They both look pretty clear to me so either works for me in that regard.

I mostly use mono because it's floating properties. My rods and reels are used for general purposes in most cases because I bank fish a lot. I rather carry a rod with mono on it, and be able to fish topwater to bottom baits than have to carry 2 rods, one with mono for topwaters and one for bottom contact baits with Fluoro.

I've tried many lines and I have come to like Senshi, and Sunline Regular Mono the best.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Ponson416

They both have their place.  Like others, I use fluoro for bottom contact stuff and crankbaits.  And mono for some topwater applications.  Down in South LA where I fish, line visibility isn't much of a concern.  Most of the water down here is pretty stained.  I've fished braid in some fairly clear water and still caught fish.  But I have no experience in truly clear water.
All men are equal before fish

Capt. BassinLou

If I'm not using braid, I'm using Senshi mono.

Smallie_Stalker

"Can bass see mono" and is Fluoro worth it? what do you guys think?

"Can bass see mono"

Quote from: analfisherman on March 27, 2018, 11:16:53 PM

^^^ This exactly.

Being that we both live in New England we fish pretty much the same kinds of water (and New Hampshire was my primary fishing grounds for years). I fish straight, hi-vis braid just about exclusively no matter what the water color is because I don't buy into the theory that line size, type or visibility scares the fish and I think I have enough years doing it to make a good case for my position.

"Is floro worth it"

That's a very subjective question. And it depends on how you define the words "worth it".

I've used it. I still have one spare spool for a spinning rod and maybe two spare spools for casting reels that have floro on them but I honestly can't remember the last time I used them.

Despite the hype, fish CAN see floro. And companies know this. That is why some companies make floro in (supposedly) low-vis colors like green or smoke. The only advantage it offers is abrasion resistance. Knot tying is a pain in the backside with it and when it starts to get cold that stuff stiffens up really bad and becomes unmanageable.

Personally I can live with having to check my line a little more often than deal with all the problems floro brings. So even if I considered it worth it in terms of money I don't consider it worth it in terms of all the hassle that goes along with using and maintaining it.

Just my $.02
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

MarkusBett18

Thanks for the help! you have knocked a little sense into me once and for all! thanks Smallie!
><(((º>        <º)))><

WTodd

Let's see; a bass can line underwater in all kinds of vegetation but not those big ass treble hooks.

Oldfart9999

The single best reason I see for using flouro, is the fact it sinks which can give you an extra foot so with cranks. The trouble being finding one supple enough as many are stiff and I don't remember seeing any as supple as mono.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Sandman7925

Been using straight braid for years. Recently spooled a metanium with fluoro to try. After using braid for so long I was surprised how smooth the line came off the reel. It made pitching allot easier. Had to turn my brakes up from using braid. So I'll continue to use it for just pitching and flipping except for heavy jigs. So now I have two rods with fluoro and everything else will keep braid. It has its place I guess.
I'm done with mono though. The memory of it drives me crazy.

Kris

In most cases I use braided line and then add a leader of the appropriate line for the presentation. For example, my spinning reels, 2, have 20lb braided line and fluorocarbon leader for wacky worms and ned rigs. My other spinning reel has the same 20lb braided line and a co-polymer leader. I do use mono, fluoro and co-poly in green even in the clear reservoir water. I have not noticed any problem using clear for them but I have used green for so long that I feel weird buying clear line.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Pferox

Maybe this should be in another thread, but it relates to the can fish see line question. .....

A number of years ago, Ande came out with a saltwater line for the gin clear inshore stuff they called Back Country, it was kind of a blue-ish color.  I bought a spool and was amazed that it made a noticeable difference in my perceived catch ratio.

I also use pink lines for many applications, including leaders.  I think it blends in with the background I fish around better, and is easier to see to tie knots and stuff like that. Most of the Hi Viz stuff is colored similar to some of the fauna found around too.

I believe that blending the line into the background, like camouflaging is more advantageous.

Fishing a rock quarry?  Use Steal Grey.  Vegetation? Green, or another color that is in the mat, yellow usually being one of them. That kind of thing.

Heck I remember when Camo Line was the hot thing with the cat fishing gang.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

coldfront

Quote from: WTodd on March 28, 2018, 06:58:08 PM
Let's see; a bass can line underwater in all kinds of vegetation but not those big ass treble hooks.

how many fish do you think are down there that actually DO ignore every one of our offerings?

do  you suspect there are MORE of them than less?

~shade lo

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: coldfront on March 29, 2018, 08:14:54 AM
how many fish do you think are down there that actually DO ignore every one of our offerings?

~shade lo

Coldfront it's funny you mention that. I realized just how many fish ignore our offerings when I threw a jerkbait over the winter at a canal that for 2 hours I had not spotted a fish or gotten a bite.

Once I used the jerkbait the fish were coming out of the woodwork following my bait to the bank. Some hitting others just intrigued.
At this point I said, there are fish EVERYWHERE they just ignore what I am throwing for whatever reason.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

loomisguy

Much more than less.  I'd bet there's a bunch that actually have the bait in their mouth that we never feel, especially on a crankbait where they can just grab it and let it go . If they never turn their head we might never know they where there.
I have felt them push the water off of a wiggle wart many times and never close their mouth on it.

coldfront

Quote from: loomisguy on March 29, 2018, 11:11:17 AM
I have felt them push the water off of a wiggle wart many times and never close their mouth on it.

Shades of David Fritts@!   :o

lo

but I get it.  you know it when you feel it.   ~rant

WTodd

Quote from: coldfront on March 29, 2018, 08:14:54 AM

~shade lo
If it doesn't look somewhat natural to them I'm pretty sure they ignore it

analfisherman

Quote from: WTodd on March 29, 2018, 07:06:59 PM
If it doesn't look somewhat natural to them I'm pretty sure they ignore it

What about the ones that don't think it's 'normal' but are territorial and prefer to eat alone........couldn't they strike something out of what we call 'anger' or instinctively just strike at anything they interpret as a threat?

I don't think a 'bedding' bass has ANY INCLINATION to 'eat' what comes near thier bed......BUT THEY DEFINITLY WILL STRIKE AT IT!

They certainly aren't hitting a BUZZBAIT because they think it appears like something they have eaten before......if so....what was it?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."