Dobyns 705cb vs loomis imx pro 845cbr

Started by Matt_3479, March 29, 2018, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_3479

As title says, looking at these 2 7' crankbait Rods. I don't do a ton of cranking but looking to get a dedicated rod as last year I lost a bunch. Will be throwing lipless rattle traps, shallow diving, generally 9' and less, squarebill. And hoping to double down this rod for some top water minus frogs. What's the opinion. Most likely be paired with a diawa tatula sv tw 6.3

Bud Kennedy

I have a 705CB and use it the way you are asking about.  I too use the SVTW103 reels and so far so good.  If I throw any larger or deeper running cranks then I move to my 735C.  Both Dobyns are Fury models.

I don't know anything about the Loomis rods so Can't make a logical comparison.

zippyduck

I can't compare as G-Loomis rods are unconfortable for me, I Used one for a few hours and it never felt right.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Matt_3479

Thank you, I'm leaning more towards the dobyns already just cause you see more people speak so highly of there crankbait rods compared too any other crankbait rod.

loomisguy

Loomis makes some of the best rods on the planet but when it come to crankbait rods unless it was the older CBR series I don't think theres enough return on your money.
If you want the benefits of owning a Loomis you really need to buy a GLX or NRX in the JWR or MBR series and use it for bottom contact baits. The MBR is a more versatile taper and makes a good spinnerbait rod or bigger walking baits like the full size spook ,Vixen ,Repo man, bigger squarebill ect.
I have owned the Champion 705 cb but didn't keep it , a lot of folks like it though.
I really like the Denali L842cb a lot.. great medium diving bait rod and will work with poppers and 2 hook walking baits like the spook jr. and smaller "woops"y dawg.

earldogg

I prefer very nice gear but I agree with loomisguy, too much $ for the Loomis, not enough return on investment for a cranking rod. I much prefer Loomis over dobyns but in this case I'd take the dobyns, much cheaper. Another choice is a st Croix avid- 70mhm- 180$. Gl

cbburke

Dobyns 705cb is what I use for lipless on OG Zillion 100SHA. It bombs the heck out of the spool.

Its one of my favorite rod/reel setup.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

Matt_3479

I couldn't find a dobyns in stock anywhere near me and got a wicked deal on a Daiwa zillion so I grabbed it. It feels too stout and super fast for a cranking rod so I might try it for something else and grabbed the imx pro for cranks

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service