Double Uni vs. GT

Started by D.W. Verts, March 30, 2018, 05:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

With my willingness to learn new stuff since my days of old, I've tried the braided line/leader deal. So I learned a new knot (amazing, the 'ol dawg can learn somethin'), the Double Uni. Now my Crappie Master buddy tells me that the "GT Knot" is superior. So I'm askin' for your thoughts, maybe other knots that work for you?

Thanks in advance.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

loomisguy

The braid to leader didn't last long with me but I always used a surgeon's knot.
It's easy to tie with cold fingers howling wind ect.. I never had it fail on a fish.

Fun4me

Braid to leader, I use a blood knot with 10 wraps. San Diego Jam and Palomar for baits.

Smallie_Stalker

When I used leaders it was the Double Uni and never had a problem. I've never tried the GT though so I really can't compare the two. Sorry brother.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

twocold

D.W. Verts

Quote from: loomisguy on March 30, 2018, 05:58:35 PM
The braid to leader didn't last long with me but I always used a surgeon's knot.
It's easy to tie with cold fingers howling wind ect.. I never had it fail on a fish.

I can see it being short-term for me too, but at least I can say I gave it a shot. Thanks.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

analfisherman

GT or Sebile Knot is a great knot.........but herendous to actually tie....ESPECIALLY ON THE WATER.

And this is coming from a guy who's go to line to bait knot is a DOUBLE SAN DIEGO JAM KNOT.

Double uni is by far easier....strong and consistent.
If tied in a hurry 'on water' it can be somewhat 'bulky' going through guide eyes.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

merc1997

i just have never found the need to use a leader on braid.  i just tie the braid straight to my lure.  in fact, i have gone to hi-vis yellow braid, even daytime fishing, and have not found it to cut down on the amount of bites i get.

as with any line, your line size affects your sink rate, how deep diving lures can get, and lure action.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

njpaulc

The best knot is the one you tie the best, besides, Aaron Martins uses the double uniknot.

analfisherman

Quote from: njpaulc on March 31, 2018, 08:49:48 AM
The best knot is the one you tie the best, besides, Aaron Martins uses the double uniknot.

Man, that kind of dampens my excitement...........I NEED VELCRO TABS JUST TO PUT MY SHOES ON!!  8) :)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

merc1997

Quote from: analfisherman on March 31, 2018, 08:53:36 AM
Man, that kind of dampens my excitement...........I NEED VELCRO TABS JUST TO PUT MY SHOES ON!!  8) :)
that there is funny ~roflmao.  i often just leave my "tennies" tied and just slip them on and off.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Capt. BassinLou

Alberto Knot, is faster, smaller, and one of the easiest knots to tie for joining braid to mono.

Oldfart9999

I used either a double uni or blood knot but now thanks to Bo I'm using a leader less and less evn as I'm shifting to hi vis braid.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Coonrod

I've always used an albright and never had one break or pull.  And on big redfish and snook, etc.

I'm thinking about giving the FG knot a try.  Seems to be strongest and more important to me, slimmest of them all.