Double Gear Ratio Reel

Started by IKfish, April 03, 2018, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKfish

Have you guys heard of double gear ratio spinning reels?
Something flashed in my head when i first heard of that. Does it mean that we don't need to take 2 or 3 reel & rod combos with us when fishing? Will the two ratio both match one specific action & power rod? Seems to be reasonable to adjust to high gear ratio when searching the area to find where fish are holding, and to low gear ratio when getting bites.
What's your thoughts of it? :-* :-*

Oldfart9999

Haven't heard of those, I used to own an ABU that was 2 speed.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

analfisherman

Never used one.
The Saltwater boys have been using them for years.

Most are bait casting or trolling reels.

I believe you can find a Spinning reel 2-speed from China like $35.00.

I know Fin Nor has some   baitcasting.

The concept is/was to allow Salt Boys to cast far and get lure back BUT when getting a bite of like a Big Tuna....stronger gears to withstand the battle.

Heard some Carp Anglers in europe use them too.

If you decide to get one.....PLEASE come on site and let us know your thoughts.
Maybe even give us a REVIEW!

IKfish....I never WELCOMED you to the site.

SO WELCOME TO THE SITE!  ;D

I look forward to learning from you as well as learning about your NEW 2-speed reel.......Bait Monkey kind of gets recruits around here.  :)

Seriously, WELCOME and let us know what you discover.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Pferox

I've never seen a two speed spinning reel, but have worked with two speed conventional reels when shark fishing.  Lots of value to that thing when fighting a fast running fish and it starts to come towards you, the faster gear gets line back quick enough that you can keep control of the fish usually. They are pretty big and heavy, too much so for bass sized fish.

I have seen older spinning gear that have two cranks on one pivot point, and they differ in length, that will effect line movement speed.

Would definitely like to see and hear about a spinning reel that has multiple speeds, it could be useful for many applications.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim