Berkley Lightning Rod Shock casting rod

Started by Bretts_daddy, April 04, 2018, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

Okay, so I picked up a few of these from my local Wal-Mart because they were on clearance for $9. I have a 7ft. MH, 6'6" MH and a 6'6" M. Do these rods run true to their power? Higher? Lower? What techniques would each of these rods be best suited for?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

D.W. Verts

I have some (thought I'd bought mine cheap at $19!!!). They're pretty close, and IMO are very fine rods for the money. Maybe for any money... I own several of the ones you have, plus a couple spinnin' rods, and the only thing about THEM is I feel like they shorted the guides a little. Maybe it's the "superline" thing, but still, no complaints about them...

As far as your casting rods, I've thrown a bunch of spinnerbaits and bladed jigs on them, and some buzzbaits with the 6-6 M rod. They're good, general, all-around rods.
If you don't like 'em, I'll double your money and pay the shipping to Florence, MO.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SFL BassHunter

Dang it's too bad you said "Shock" lol. I only have one of those, I have no idea if it's true to power, its a damn broomstick, but that's why I bought it. It's designed for A-Rigs so it can handle up to 5oz I think...

Had you left it at Berkley Lightning, I could have given you a better response.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

I have some and I agree with Dale 100%. And you got them for an incredible price to boot. I wish one of my local Wally's had 'em for that price. I'd buy up as many as I could.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bretts_daddy

My Wal-Mart still has one 7ft MH sittin' there for $9. I probably should buy it if nothing more than for a spare at that price but my wife would be squawking that I have too many rods as it is...lol.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on April 04, 2018, 03:15:42 PM
My Wal-Mart still has one 7ft MH sittin' there for $9. I probably should buy it if nothing more than for a spare at that price but my wife would be squawking that I have too many rods as it is...lol.

lo  If she has lots of purses or shoes just tell her you should be able to own one rod for each purse or shoe (individual, not pair) she owns.  ;) ~shade   lo

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 04, 2018, 03:20:16 PM
lo  If she has lots of purses or shoes just tell her you should be able to own one rod for each purse or shoe (individual, not pair) she owns.  ;) ~shade   lo
Oh my God, I'd need to build an addition onto my house  ~roflmao

Smallie_Stalker

Kris

I had two of them a couple of years ago now. Bought the same way while I was on the road at some out of State Walmarts. I had a baitcaster MH 7' and spinning 6'6". Both worked well. Only reason I got rid of them was to step up my arsenal to the next level. I have since stepped the arsenal up to Dobyns Fury and one Champion Series. I wouldn't mind having one of them back in the arsenal for that price.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

nats

I have all dobyns now, but I always thought the shock rods were the best value out there when you don't have the funds for higher end rods,  when I travel to Florida or Texas I sometimes bring a reel ,then go to Wally World and buy a shock rod and leave it with my host, or as part of the tip to a guide

D.W. Verts

I used my 6-6 medium just today for my first IBASS trip, throwin' 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits and a 1/4 oz. jig with a pork frog. Handled over 19 pounds of bass just fine.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff