Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Angler Service Announcement  (Read 446 times)

analfisherman

• Ultimate Basser
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
Angler Service Announcement
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:23:05 AM »

This is for the newer anglers as well new to baitcasters angler.

Braking systems
First off......Baitcasting reels and conventional reels use spool braking systems to control the speed at which the spool of the reel spins when the reel is in free spool mode.
Brakes of casting reels has two major objectives, 1) to adjust the initial spool speed and the initial rig flying speed just after casting, and 2) to control the decelerate rate of spool.

Due to anglers needs to be able to make fine tuning adjustments to their braking systems to maximize casting distance, manufacturers have incorporated secondary braking systems in most new baitcasting reels and conventional reels that are also designed for casting. These secondary systems are adjusted after the main tension brake setting has been made on the reel. These braking systems come in two varieties. One works magnetically and the other type incorporates centrifugal force to slow the speed of the spools rotations.

Next what's the difference between Centrifugal braking system and Magnetic braking system......and more important....why would you want BOTH on one reel.

Centrifugal Brakes

Centrifugal force is the energy that is exerted on an object when it is contained within another object that is rotating. Picture a roulette wheel. When the wheel is spun at a high speed, the tiny ball in the center of the wheel is forced to the rim of the wheel until the wheel stops turning. The force that causes the ball to ride along the perimeter of the wheel is centrifugal force.

Centrifugal brakes work in the same matter. Tiny, sliding weights mounted around the axis point of the spool are forced to the outside perimeter of the spool during the cast. The weight adds more mass to the perimeter of the spool, causing the spool to rotate more slowly during the cast. These weights can be locked into place at their axis point so they do not engage during the cast or they can be unlocked so they slide towards the outside of the spool during the cast, engaging the braking system.

Red nobs slide in and out.
(side note.....set tension adjustment knob FIRST....most like to put the lure to be used on....press open spool trigger and let lur drop....tighten tension until the lure drops at a speed that when it hits the ground the spool stops turning...eliminating 'backlashes')
Some refer to this as a 'Primary Brake'. (mentioned again at end of post)

Setting the centrifugals
Set the centrifugal brake by opening the reels side plate and moving two opposing weights into the unlocked position. Always unlock or lock opposing weights to keep the spool properly balanced.

They can be unlocked from their axis location by sliding them away from the axis with the tip of your finger. (IN...BRAKE ON      OUT.......BRAKE OFF)

Magnetic Braking Systems

A magnetic brake system works on the magnets attracting force to slow down the spool. By rotating a dial on the side of the reel, the angler controls a magnet that is moved closer or further away from the side of the spool depending on the position of the dial. (zero less 10 most) When the magnet is moved closer to the spool it exerts a magnetic pull on the spool which slows down the spools rotation speed.

Setting the Magnetic Brake
First make sure the magnetic brake system is in the Off position. Set your primary tension brake first.(mentioned above in Cent. Brake setting)

Then turn dial on side of reel.
Zero is just that...ZERO magnetic pull on spool..........TEN.........max magnetic force slowing reel spool to it's max.

Both Magnetic and Centrifugal on single reel.

Centrifugal basically works on the intial and early portion of the cast. (remember...faster the spool is spinning the more the pins are forced 'OUT' slowing the speed.
As it slows....the pins don't have as much 'force' pushing them out....hence less friction...lesser effect.

Magnetic basically takes over during slow to mid range 'spool speed'.
It may have wide adjusting range, but has much larger brake at slow speed than centrifugal systems.
Hence helping to avoid backlashes at the end of cast....limiting the spool to continue to spin.

*Spool Tension Knob....in reality should be set just to prevent 'spool play'.
  Meaning.....spool doesn't have wobble or 'play when you take your fingers and wiggle it on the reel in your hand and not actually casting it.

Now this tutorial was structly meant to help those who don't have reel experience to inderstand whats happening when you hear about setting the braking system.

I in NO WAY are/am a REEL GURU.........and the folks who know reels backwards and forwards...inside and out....HOPEFULLY WILL STOP IN AND GIVE SOME HELPFULL HINTS/TRICKS TO MAKE YOU MORE PROFICIENT once you get more comfortable with casting a baitcaster.

Hope this helps someone........feel free to ask any QUESTIONS or CLARIFICATIONS!
The 'reel guys' will be HAPPY TO ANSWER THEM!  lo

Oh and reel Gurus.......let me know if I didn't explain something correctly.....I'll glad change it!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
Re: Angler Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »

good job

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »

Great information Joe  ~c~ ~c~ I'm going to have remember this stuff again,

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31:28 AM »

Good job of explaining and answering many questions about the brake systems on baitcasting reels.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »

I'm going to have to take mine apart next time I'm out to see how I have my Centrifugal brakes set since my Cancer treatment it's been two years since I've use my Bait caster frog reel and I can't remember how I had them set. I think I had them all off so I could cast my HB Frog farther.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »

That was well done sir!

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cbburke

• Largemouth
  • Still Hunting for the Mother Bass !
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:39:40 PM »

Nice write up ....I actually saved that on my fishing folder.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

analfisherman

• Ultimate Basser
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 06:41:14 AM »

Thanks for the KIND WORDS my friends!!!!!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 24 queries.