Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear recommendations  (Read 857 times)

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Re: Gear recommendations
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »

I agree with zippyduck....a Fuego CT is going to be hard to beat if buying new.

Right hand model:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Fuego-CT-6-3-1-Right-Hand-Baitcast-Fishing-Reel-FGCT100H/272781453973?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3Dd4b24b51687d4d2aadff8d92d67caa1f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D311835500384%26itm%3D272781453973&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Left hand Model:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Fuego-CT-8-1-1-Left-Hand-Baitcast-Fishing-Reel-FGCT100XSL/302397297488?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3Dd4b24b51687d4d2aadff8d92d67caa1f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D311835500384%26itm%3D302397297488&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

However, my last original Fuego (a $229 reel when new) cost me $65 in very good condition.  Used is a good way to go if you know what you want.

I was also going to suggest ffo-tackle.  If you can get along with pink, they have the Pflueger Lady President for $35.88 (a $59.95 reel).  The President is always a good option as is the Pflueger Trion.  Jet.com has the Trion for $26.42 right now.  A $39.95 reel.

$100 per combo isn't much.  Don't be in a hurry to buy unless you find a great deal right away.  Berkley Lightning or Lightning Shock both in spinning and casting are one of the best values out there at that price.  Especially if you can find a model you want at FFO.  In a recent thread on another forum, a guy posted that his Walmart was selling the Lightning Shocks for $19.  A great buy.

I heartily agree with the suggestion to go with a Medium Fast spinning rod and a Medium Heavy Fast casting rod.  These are going to be good all around rods.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:41:25 PM by 1ReelFanatik »

Smalls

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 04:06:19 AM »

Personally, I think you need to slow down a little. The more limited you are on funds, the more research you need to do. Itís easy to ask a bunch of people what you need, but theyíre not doing the same fishing you are. Start reading and watching informative videos and soaking up as much info on fishing as you can. With a little bit of knowledge, you can determine the gear you need for yourself, and your gear will be tailored to your personal fishing needs.

Diving head first into the world of bass fishing in this age is gonna give you a headache. Take your time, read, read, read, soak it in, and youíll be more prepared with the best gear suited for you and catching some hogs before you know it.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »

I would look at the Dobyns Colt or Fury series as well.
They make a great rod and have excellent customer service. I mention these because Iíve heard the reviews. Iíve never fished either of these but I do have an older Savvy and I own 2 champion series rods and they are my favorite in my lineup.

Another choice for rod is the BPS carbonlites. These are very sensitive blanks.
During the BPS Classic they had the combo for 100. carbonlite rod and reel. Not sure if they will have that sale again till next year.

For reels for spinning I would look at the Pflugers. They are your best bang for the buck and make an excellent spinning reel.
The Trion is hard to beat 39 or 49 dollars.

Baitcaster I would pick up a Fuego CT in your price range. 70 bucks and itís the same reel as te Tatula CT without the TWS line guide. I love my Tat CT and with the same internals on the fuego you canít go wrong and itís an all aluminum frame which is rigid and will be great for getting big fish out of heavy cover when needed.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »

I have to second Small's opinion too. I came into this game last spring on a very tight budget. Heck, I'm always on a tight budget.
Last summer, I spent FAR more money than I should have, going through cheap gear trying to find something just right.

Some things are worth spending extra money on, some things aren't. Speaking from recent, first hand experience, fishing tackle is most definitely one of those things. When the best you can afford is a $40 rod and $80 reel, it's easy to look at other people's expensive gear and think "gear snob".

So, while there's some great budget friendly choices being thrown out for you to consider, and they WILL work, you may also like to consider spending your whole budget on just one really great combo and then save up for the next one. Going through budget gear while searching for and figuring out what you really want and need can be an extremely expensive endeavor.
As much as I really love my Ambassadeur and Lightning rod, Caenan and Vigilante, my Curado combo is by far the most satisfying and easiest to use. The rod is more sensitive than the LR. The guides are higher quality. In fact, the guides I used to replace the ones on the LR are the same make, model, and even color as the ones on my Curado rod. Even though the LR is very sensitive, with the Curado and braid I can literally hear what my bait is doing, and I have some serious hearing problems.

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »

Personally, I think you need to slow down a little. The more limited you are on funds, the more research you need to do. Itís easy to ask a bunch of people what you need, but theyíre not doing the same fishing you are. Start reading and watching informative videos and soaking up as much info on fishing as you can. With a little bit of knowledge, you can determine the gear you need for yourself, and your gear will be tailored to your personal fishing needs.

Diving head first into the world of bass fishing in this age is gonna give you a headache. Take your time, read, read, read, soak it in, and youíll be more prepared with the best gear suited for you and catching some hogs before you know it.

Great advice.  I probably wonít buy any nice rods and reels for a month.  Waiting on a nice little check from work!   I have a cheap combo from Walmart that will work for the time being and I cam always give that my kids later when I acquire some better stuff.  If anything I will get some senkos and stuff.  That is really all I need to go out and have fun right now.   

Just to say again.  I donít see myself have more then 2 decent set ups.  Nothing crazy expensive.  If I can put a decent set up (in my budget) for under 200 then I will be happy.  That is all I would ever need.   Hopefully that makes sense.  All I am looking for is some decent gear to get me going.  Everyone has been great with their recommendations and advice.  Thanks again. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »

Great advice.  I probably wonít buy any nice rods and reels for a month.  Waiting on a nice little check from work!   I have a cheap combo from Walmart that will work for the time being and I cam always give that my kids later when I acquire some better stuff.  If anything I will get some senkos and stuff.  That is really all I need to go out and have fun right now.   

Just to say again.  I donít see myself have more then 2 decent set ups.  Nothing crazy expensive.  If I can put a decent set up (in my budget) for under 200 then I will be happy.  That is all I would ever need.   Hopefully that makes sense.  All I am looking for is some decent gear to get me going.  Everyone has been great with their recommendations and advice.  Thanks again. 

Lol... yeah, that's what you think right now!
Just wait till that rabid gear monkey sinks it's teeth into you!
Dude, you're gonna end up just like me...
"Okay, one for this, one for that, a little Zebco on a light rod for fun... bet my lady would like something nice too... Oh, this is cool! Don't even need it, but it's cheap so I'll just put it on display... hey, that one may be broke, but it's good for spare bearings and refrigerator magnets... this one will fit in my car easily... is 7'6" too long? Let's find out... I think I may try fishing for some crappie, or maybe some big cats. May as well get something for each..."
Next thing you know, you're buying rod racks, collecting tackle boxes, your desk drawers are over flowing, and you're building a friggin boat!

And lord help you if you decide to restore a few old lures found at a yard sale for pennies.
Oh, and you're gonna start upgrading hooks and split rings on new lures as soon as they come out of the package!
May as well get some swivels too, there's always a time and place for them.

Brother, you're possibly stepping into a big hole! One of two things is gonna happen: you're either going to decide bass fishing is a waste of time, or you'll become obsessed. I just recently got to see my oldest son become obsessed. He hasn't even landed one yet, but the first time I took him out fishing a few months ago he hooked some sort of lake monster that had me scared his rod was gonna break. It was dragging out line like crazy and zig zagging back and forth. Then it spit out his mangled spinner bait.
He's still working on figuring out how to set the hook good and doesn't get the opportunity to fish much, but he's always ready to go when the moment strikes.

Let us know which side you fall on in a few months!

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »

Lol... yeah, that's what you think right now!
Just wait till that rabid gear monkey sinks it's teeth into you!
Dude, you're gonna end up just like me...
"Okay, one for this, one for that, a little Zebco on a light rod for fun... bet my lady would like something nice too... Oh, this is cool! Don't even need it, but it's cheap so I'll just put it on display... hey, that one may be broke, but it's good for spare bearings and refrigerator magnets... this one will fit in my car easily... is 7'6" too long? Let's find out... I think I may try fishing for some crappie, or maybe some big cats. May as well get something for each..."
Next thing you know, you're buying rod racks, collecting tackle boxes, your desk drawers are over flowing, and you're building a friggin boat!

And lord help you if you decide to restore a few old lures found at a yard sale for pennies.
Oh, and you're gonna start upgrading hooks and split rings on new lures as soon as they come out of the package!
May as well get some swivels too, there's always a time and place for them.

Brother, you're possibly stepping into a big hole! One of two things is gonna happen: you're either going to decide bass fishing is a waste of time, or you'll become obsessed. I just recently got to see my oldest son become obsessed. He hasn't even landed one yet, but the first time I took him out fishing a few months ago he hooked some sort of lake monster that had me scared his rod was gonna break. It was dragging out line like crazy and zig zagging back and forth. Then it spit out his mangled spinner bait.
He's still working on figuring out how to set the hook good and doesn't get the opportunity to fish much, but he's always ready to go when the moment strikes.

Let us know which side you fall on in a few months!

I know right...  I got a little excited already.  My wife is already annoyed with me talking about fishing already.   My kids want to go to.  I am have already been looking at kayaks.  To my defense I wanted one for a while.   

Bassin_VA

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »

"I have a cheap combo from Walmart that will work for the time being... "

I did the same thing. When I jumped back into fishing from a looooong hiatius, i went to wally world and got an ugly stick, shimano spinning reel, and some PP. Picked up some EWGs, weights, swimming hooks, and a couple different packs of baits. I was good to go..  so I thought. Dang monkey!!

The different choices of baitcasters made my head spin and nothing really made sense...and some still dont to be honest. I still use that wally world combo today, but after reading alot  and some bad choices along the way, I ended up with some other set ups that I really like. One of those being a Fuego on a Dobyns Fury 734C.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »

Tiger, another rod to look at is the Escalade from Dick's Sporting Goods.  These sold for $100.  I assume they are being closed out as the price has been $50 for several months.  I bought a MH casting rod (the only model left storewide) to get my sister-in-law started on baitcasting rods.  I liked it enough after trying it out that I went back and bought one for myself.  Personally I like them better than the black Tec Spec I have.  Never used one of their Elite Tec Specs...a blue rod that costs more.

The guys are suggesting some good low cost rods, but a $110 Dobyns isn't going to leave you any money for a reel.  Nor will an $80 rod leave you much for a decent reel.  Not unless you can increase your budget.

Hopefully you have a place where your kids will be able to catch fish....even if only panfish.  I'd have 2 fishing partners if the fishing in my area didn't suck so bad.  Kids lose interest fast if there isn't any action.

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »

Tiger, another rod to look at is the Escalade from Dick's Sporting Goods.  These sold for $100.  I assume they are being closed out as the price has been $50 for several months.  I bought a MH casting rod (the only model left storewide) to get my sister-in-law started on baitcasting rods.  I liked it enough after trying it out that I went back and bought one for myself.  Personally I like them better than the black Tec Spec I have.  Never used one of their Elite Tec Specs...a blue rod that costs more.

The guys are suggesting some good low cost rods, but a $110 Dobyns isn't going to leave you any money for a reel.  Nor will an $80 rod leave you much for a decent reel.  Not unless you can increase your budget.

Hopefully you have a place where your kids will be able to catch fish....even if only panfish.  I'd have 2 fishing partners if the fishing in my area didn't suck so bad.  Kids lose interest fast if there isn't any action.

Before I take my kids I want to find areas to catch stuff.  Like you said they will lose interest.  My son for sure.  My daughter would have fun either way I think?

I have been looking and ready and heard decent reviews about the abu Garcia reels.  And I have been looking at the finwick eagle casting rods.  Good news is that it is almost my bday and of course Fatherís Day.  That means gifts!

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Gear recommendations
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »

Before I take my kids I want to find areas to catch stuff.  Like you said they will lose interest.  My son for sure.  My daughter would have fun either way I think?

I have been looking and heard decent reviews about the abu Garcia reels.  And I have been looking at the finwick eagle casting rods.  Both of those would be about 100 and leaves me plenty of room.  Good news is that it is almost my bday and of course Fatherís Day.  That means gifts!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:12:36 PM by jwtiger69 »

DonM

• Charter Member
    • DonMasonMusic
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »

"Another choice for rod is the BPS carbonlites. These are very sensitive blanks.
During the BPS Classic they had the combo for 100. carbonlite rod and reel. Not sure if they will have that sale again till next year. "
I bought the combo on sale.  It basically meant buying a reel and getting the rod free.  It is lightweight but really smooth.  I already had previous models but this one is lighter and NEWER.  :)
DonM

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 10:18:52 PM »

"Another choice for rod is the BPS carbonlites. These are very sensitive blanks.
During the BPS Classic they had the combo for 100. carbonlite rod and reel. Not sure if they will have that sale again till next year. "
I bought the combo on sale.  It basically meant buying a reel and getting the rod free.  It is lightweight but really smooth.  I already had previous models but this one is lighter and NEWER.  :)

Thanks for the input.  I will add that to things to look out for.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »

Can't say much to the Abu Garcia low pro reels except this:
Like I said earlier, steer clear of the Black Max. It's literally the cheapest, most low budget low profile reel they make and I wouldn't piss on it to put out a fire. And after than one reel, I'm leery of ever even thinking of getting another one. Still love my Ambassadeurs though.

Then I'll mention this; my old man wins local tournaments using nothing but Abu Garcias. But, his are much higher end than the BM and much more expensive.
And there are a few members here who love 'em.

As for the kids, a decent option may be a couple of those telescoping jigging poles. They can use 'em just like a cane pole with a bobber, they collapse for easy storage and transport, and can be found pretty cheap sometimes. As little as $5 when Walmart puts some models on sale.

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »

Can't say much to the Abu Garcia low pro reels except this:
Like I said earlier, steer clear of the Black Max. It's literally the cheapest, most low budget low profile reel they make and I wouldn't piss on it to put out a fire. And after than one reel, I'm leery of ever even thinking of getting another one. Still love my Ambassadeurs though.

Then I'll mention this; my old man wins local tournaments using nothing but Abu Garcias. But, his are much higher end than the BM and much more expensive.
And there are a few members here who love 'em.

As for the kids, a decent option may be a couple of those telescoping jigging poles. They can use 'em just like a cane pole with a bobber, they collapse for easy storage and transport, and can be found pretty cheap sometimes. As little as $5 when Walmart puts some models on sale.

You are right about the abu Garcia black model.   At this point would rather go over my budget and look at the dawia model that was recommended in here. 

As for the kids they have a cheap reel/pole combo.  That should be good enough until they show real interest in it and they are course usable.  Though I am not sure what I would want them to use as far as tackle.  They canít cast far ect...   I am thinking going basic and using a bobber with a worm or something.  That way they can see the bobber and know if they are getting a bite.   

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »

Worm and bobbers are always a great start for kids. There are plenty of fish attractants on the market too that you can chum the spot with to draw in some fish to help out.
Just wait till one of 'em catches something that fights back.
Like a Warmouth, good golly those little monsters hit like a freight train and fight like a demon, especially during their spawn. They're fun on "big boy" gear, you'd swear you just hooked something bigger, but they're an absolute blast on lightweight kiddie gear! If you happen to find some, do yourself a favor and pick up some ultralight gear for yourself, you won't regret it.

They look like a strange crappie/bluegill/smallmouth bass crossbreed to me, and they actually do cross breed with other species sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Smalls

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2018, 02:48:31 PM »

You are right about the abu black max

Wanna see a cool magic trick with a $20 bill? Check out the pro max. The rod is... meh. Not garbage, not great. But the reel is money. I like it more than some of my $200 reels

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »

Once again thanks everyone who commented.  Today I went for a few hours with a buddy and caught four.  Feels good especially now I know how to catch them at the pond by my house. 

cbburke

• Largemouth
  • Still Hunting for the Mother Bass !
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

You are having better luck that me

Two weekend straight at the local pond, I skunked both times.
I was walking over the bridge to take a short cut home.

there was a school of basses with some 3/4 lbs there. I didnt even bother to throw a line cuz they saw me and was "hauling" to get out of that spot.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

jwtiger69

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »

You are having better luck that me

Two weekend straight at the local pond, I skunked both times.
I was walking over the bridge to take a short cut home.

there was a school of basses with some 3/4 lbs there. I didnt even bother to throw a line cuz they saw me and was "hauling" to get out of that spot.

The picture I posted is from the way out.  We were waking and I saw a few right by the bank.  Said screw it and casted.  That guy got away twice before I finally got him. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 34 queries.