Gear recommendations

Started by jwtiger69, April 08, 2018, 05:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwtiger69

Hi everyone!  As I mentioned in the tackle section I am starting with nothing.  Currently I just have a rod/reel combo from Walmart.   I guess my question is where should I start.  I would love to get a bait casting reel but I k ow I don't really need it yet.   I plan on probably using a lot of lures and bait setups.   I think I plan on carrying two poles with me when I go (so one setup for each)?  I also will be having access to areas where there are pretty big bass (also catfish and stripper).   What type of poles should I be looking at and also reels to go with them. 

I guess my other question is about string.   Between breaded,mono and floro I am getting confused.  I know I might want breaded line if I go out to catch bigger fish ,but normally I will be in areas that will have smaller fish (8-10 lbs max).   What type of string and how big should I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Don't feel bad I still get confused on all this stuff. I guess before you can get a good answer it would help to know a price range on what your looking for spennding on your reel and rod. What kind of rod/reel combo did you get from Walmart? 

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

The best gauge of a reel is not gear ratio but how much line is picked up per turn of the handle. The speed of line pick up depends on technique, there are a lot of variables. Better question is what would be the best for doing XYZ. You'll get several answers, look at the reasons and see what you think is the best.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

jwtiger69

Quote from: Lipripper on April 08, 2018, 06:07:05 PM
Don't feel bad I still get confused on all this stuff. I guess before you can get a good answer it would help to know a price range on what your looking for spennding on your reel and rod. What kind of rod/reel combo did you get from Walmart?

A Shakespeare pole with a shamino syncopate reel.  I am actually getting a little bonus from work soon so my budget is ok.   I am thinking I would spend about 200 on between 2 poles and 2 reels.   I hope that should able to cover everything I want to do and would be a good start. 

Lipripper

Quote from: jwtiger69 on April 08, 2018, 06:23:42 PM

A Shakespeare pole with a shamino syncopate reel.  I am actually getting a little bonus from work soon so my budget is ok.   I am thinking I would spend about 200 on between 2 poles and 2 reels.   I hope that should able to cover everything I want to do and would be a good start. 

Do you have any BPS close to where you live out? Sometimes you can get get some great combos from there. My worm set up is a Bill Dance combo I got at the BPS by my house and I've had it for a few years and I think I only paid like $60 or $70 for it. I also throw chatter baits on it and heck I even throw some topwater HB Frogs and Buzz baits with it also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

D.W. Verts

"smaller fish (8-10 lbs max)"

Wow. I think you need personal, on-the-water support here. I'm available.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

jwtiger69

Quote from: Lipripper on April 08, 2018, 06:29:33 PM
Do you have any BPS close to where you live out? Sometimes you can get get some great combos from there. My worm set up is a Bill Dance combo I got at the BPS by my house and I've had it for a few years and I think I only paid like $60 or $70 for it. I also throw chatter baits on it and heck I even throw some topwater HB Frogs and Buzz baits with it also.

Actually there is one within an hour from me.  I don't normally head that way.   Do most of my shopping online or for this Walmart or a sportsmen's warehouseby my work.   

jwtiger69

How are fenwick poles?   Been reading about those and they are in my budget.   

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: jwtiger69 on April 08, 2018, 09:06:49 PM
How are fenwick poles?   Been reading about those and they are in my budget.   

I have 2 fenwicks
One is a 3 piece and it's a nice rod. Not the most sensitive I own but gets the job done. It's a methods.

I also have an older model fenwick aetos. Good rod. I like everything about it except the trigger. It's short and stubby. When I set the hook it hurts my fingers.
This is a personal thing, it may be how I hold my rods and reels. It may be my big sausage fingers. You would have to hold the rod and see if it's to your liking.

All in all my experience is they aren't bad.

I do have other brand preferences though.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: D.W. Verts on April 08, 2018, 06:33:15 PM
"smaller fish (8-10 lbs max)"

Wow. I think you need personal, on-the-water support here. I'm available.
Lol, he may be counting the Cats available in the area too! 30 and 40 pounders are not uncommon in the cat holes I've fished in the past, and I used to giggle at the "baby" ten pounders. A lady just upriver from me caught a 94# blue or flathead just a few weeks ago.

Tiger, I started out last year after a long hiatus with a very tight budget and an Abu Garcia Black Max II combo and my first bait caster reel in a box from storage, an Ambassadeur 5000. Steer clear of the BM. It has the same initials as Bowel Movement for a reason. Although, the rod is decent for what it is.

I'd recommend a good condition used baitcaster from a pawn shop that either already comes with a nice rod or get a Berkley Lightning Rod or Abu Vigilante 2 to go with it. That would give a good basis to build from on the cheap.
My favorite combo is my Shimano Curado 200 and Curado rod. I paid $175 for the reel when it first came out, you can get it now for about $150 on sale. The rod was $150. That's $300 for ONE combo. (holy crap I can't believe I spent that much...)
One of my other favorites is a Shimano Caenan on a Vigilante 2. The reel was $15 at a pawn shop, the rod was $40 at Walmart. That's $55 for a combo that suits what I use it for very well especially on my budget.
The combo I use for big, heavy cranks, spinners and jigs is my Ambassadeur 5000 on a Lightning Rod that I've replaced the guides with all Fuji K guides in a spiral wrap.

I've only tried a handful of braided lines and I've settled on Sufix 832 40# as my favorite so far, I'm sure I'll try others because I've barely scratched the surface of what's on the market. The mono I use is Sufix Pro-Mix 12#. Pro-Mix is dirt cheap and I like it better than all other monos I've tried, which is just about all of them under $15. Any more than $15, I'd rather spend on braid. Pro-Mix doesn't stretch too bad and it's pretty limp which aids in casting. Other monos, I've had to "break-in" by practice casting in the back yard. Even after being spooled and stored for a bit, Pro-Mix only takes a handful of casts to loosen up. This is what I use on my new favorite spinning combo, a Pfleuger President combo I found at a flea market for pocket change, and on my Caenan. I use the Caenan exclusively for topwater fishing, some experienced anglers here recommended mono for topwater and I discovered I like it better than braid for that purpose.
I liked P-Line, but if you backlash it you may as well cut it out if you get a kink in the line, and it will kink readily.
I use Pro-Cat 60# or 80# braid on my catfish rig, can't remember which, cause it's cheap and I go for brute strength in catfishing. That's put together with a heavy Pro-Cat rod and an Ambassadeur "winch" built from parts with 4.66 gears, both of which I got at pawn shops for less than $30 combined.
Used to catfish successfully all the time as a teenager, landed some big ones too. I know for a fact that records are only set because some folks go through the process of having them recorded. I've seen channel cats that put the current record to shame, but they were just eaten. I've yet to catch a decent one in the past year I've been occasionally trying. Actually, I've only caught one, about 4 inches long that I hooked through the gut, so I turned around and used it as bait.

Too long, didn't read?
I'd shop for good, used rods and reels until you learn what works best for you.
Also, I can't stand several products from H²O Express, especially their line (avoid it like the plague), but I hear their reels are halfway decent and have an outstanding, no questions asked warranty. May be able to find a broken or damaged one for little or even nothing and then just exchange it. I know a guy who knows a guy who does that very thing and uses nothing but their reels just because of that very reason. He allegedly has about 15 and less than $100 invested in all, only paid full price for the first one. If one gives up the ghost, he just drops it in a box to exchange later and slaps another one on his rod.
Also it would behoove you, if you're mechanically inclined, to learn how to give a reel a basic service yourself. Several members here are talented reel techs, but a simple clean and relube is a quick and easy job if you can remember how to put it back together.

SteelHorseCowboy

Disclaimer:
I'm probably the least successful angler here. Look at the IBass thread, I have one catch recorded at 6.75 inches. That woulda been catfish bait if it weren't for the fact I'd rather use shad and let a bass grow.

jwtiger69

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 09, 2018, 08:06:16 AM
Lol, he may be counting the Cats available in the area too! 30 and 40 pounders are not uncommon in the cat holes I've fished in the past, and I used to giggle at the "baby" ten pounders. A lady just upriver from me caught a 94# blue or flathead just a few weeks ago.

Tiger, I started out last year after a long hiatus with a very tight budget and an Abu Garcia Black Max II combo and my first bait caster reel in a box from storage, an Ambassadeur 5000. Steer clear of the BM. It has the same initials as Bowel Movement for a reason. Although, the rod is decent for what it is.

I'd recommend a good condition used baitcaster from a pawn shop that either already comes with a nice rod or get a Berkley Lightning Rod or Abu Vigilante 2 to go with it. That would give a good basis to build from on the cheap.
My favorite combo is my Shimano Curado 200 and Curado rod. I paid $175 for the reel when it first came out, you can get it now for about $150 on sale. The rod was $150. That's $300 for ONE combo. (holy crap I can't believe I spent that much...)
One of my other favorites is a Shimano Caenan on a Vigilante 2. The reel was $15 at a pawn shop, the rod was $40 at Walmart. That's $55 for a combo that suits what I use it for very well especially on my budget.
The combo I use for big, heavy cranks, spinners and jigs is my Ambassadeur 5000 on a Lightning Rod that I've replaced the guides with all Fuji K guides in a spiral wrap.

I've only tried a handful of braided lines and I've settled on Sufix 832 40# as my favorite so far, I'm sure I'll try others because I've barely scratched the surface of what's on the market. The mono I use is Sufix Pro-Mix 12#. Pro-Mix is dirt cheap and I like it better than all other monos I've tried, which is just about all of them under $15. Any more than $15, I'd rather spend on braid. Pro-Mix doesn't stretch too bad and it's pretty limp which aids in casting. Other monos, I've had to "break-in" by practice casting in the back yard. Even after being spooled and stored for a bit, Pro-Mix only takes a handful of casts to loosen up. This is what I use on my new favorite spinning combo, a Pfleuger President combo I found at a flea market for pocket change, and on my Caenan. I use the Caenan exclusively for topwater fishing, some experienced anglers here recommended mono for topwater and I discovered I like it better than braid for that purpose.
I liked P-Line, but if you backlash it you may as well cut it out if you get a kink in the line, and it will kink readily.
I use Pro-Cat 60# or 80# braid on my catfish rig, can't remember which, cause it's cheap and I go for brute strength in catfishing. That's put together with a heavy Pro-Cat rod and an Ambassadeur "winch" built from parts with 4.66 gears, both of which I got at pawn shops for less than $30 combined.
Used to catfish successfully all the time as a teenager, landed some big ones too. I know for a fact that records are only set because some folks go through the process of having them recorded. I've seen channel cats that put the current record to shame, but they were just eaten. I've yet to catch a decent one in the past year I've been occasionally trying. Actually, I've only caught one, about 4 inches long that I hooked through the gut, so I turned around and used it as bait.

Too long, didn't read?
I'd shop for good, used rods and reels until you learn what works best for you.
Also, I can't stand several products from H²O Express, especially their line (avoid it like the plague), but I hear their reels are halfway decent and have an outstanding, no questions asked warranty. May be able to find a broken or damaged one for little or even nothing and then just exchange it. I know a guy who knows a guy who does that very thing and uses nothing but their reels just because of that very reason. He allegedly has about 15 and less than $100 invested in all, only paid full price for the first one. If one gives up the ghost, he just drops it in a box to exchange later and slaps another one on his rod.
Also it would behoove you, if you're mechanically inclined, to learn how to give a reel a basic service yourself. Several members here are talented reel techs, but a simple clean and relube is a quick and easy job if you can remember how to put it back together.

Great post!  Thanks for the ideas on fishing line.  From what I see on bait casting setups people use braided line.  Spinning reels mostly mono or floro.   In the other two is there really much difference?  I figure I will have a few spinning reels (trout stuff and bass).  I am thinking I I would have a bait setup and one for lures ect. 

jwtiger69

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 09, 2018, 06:20:03 AM
I have 2 fenwicks
One is a 3 piece and it's a nice rod. Not the most sensitive I own but gets the job done. It's a methods.

I also have an older model fenwick aetos. Good rod. I like everything about it except the trigger. It's short and stubby. When I set the hook it hurts my fingers.
This is a personal thing, it may be how I hold my rods and reels. It may be my big sausage fingers. You would have to hold the rod and see if it's to your liking.

All in all my experience is they aren't bad.

I do have other brand preferences though.

Would it be better maybe to check bass pro and see what combos they offer?  Budget under 200. 

analfisherman

you may want to consider reversing the line choices on which reel.

Flouro on spinning gear can be a nightmare. (TON OF MEMORY)
Mono not as bad BUT still more than Braid/Superlines.

Braid on spinning gear is a dream line.
No 'memory' (means how much the line remembers how it was bent by being wrapped on a spool or a reel)
Braid on either reel usually allows longer casts and thinner line diameter compared to equivalent mono or flouro line tests (breaking strenth)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

jwtiger69

Quote from: analfisherman on April 09, 2018, 11:36:42 AM
you may want to consider reversing the line choices on which reel.

Flouro on spinning gear can be a nightmare. (TON OF MEMORY)
Mono not as bad BUT still more than Braid/Superlines.

Braid on spinning gear is a dream line.
No 'memory' (means how much the line remembers how it was bent by being wrapped on a spool or a reel)
Braid on either reel usually allows longer casts and thinner line diameter compared to equivalent mono or flouro line tests (breaking strenth)

Hmm.  I plan on carrying one spinning reel and one baitcasting setup.  What would you recommend?

Also plan on have two setups for trout fishing.   I assume a nice mono is good enough for that?

analfisherman

Quote from: jwtiger69 on April 09, 2018, 11:51:03 AM

Hmm. So maybe look into putting it on both?  Heavier on naitcastong and lighter on spinning? 

Many here will say, "YES" to that question!

Personally I use Co-ply and braid but I'm a Northern 'Yankee' and we grew up using spinning gear first...Baitcaster second.

But I do use Braid more often on my spinning gear than Baitcasting gear...BUT I have a baitcaster AND a spinning BOTH WITH BRAID for Frogging.

Another point about braid...it 'cuts through grass and vegetation'. better than any other line out there.
So only you can decide......but there are A LOT of anglers around here that use 'Braid' on and for EVERYTHING.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

jwtiger69

Quote from: analfisherman on April 09, 2018, 12:00:32 PM
Many here will say, "YES" to that question!

Personally I use Co-ply and braid but I'm a Northern 'Yankee' and we grew up using spinning gear first...Baitcaster second.

But I do use Braid more often on my spinning gear than Baitcasting gear...BUT I have a baitcaster AND a spinning BOTH WITH BRAID for Frogging.

Another point about braid...it 'cuts through grass and vegetation'. better than any other line out there.
So only you can decide......but there are A LOT of anglers around here that use 'Braid' on and for EVERYTHING.

Would you use a heavier line on a spinning reel and heavier on bait casting?  Or just use the same.  Honestly talking about this is confusing me more.  Lol

So as I edited my post above.  With me wanting to poles.  Bait casting and a spinning what would you commend?

SteelHorseCowboy

On mono vs braid for each type, here's my thoughts:
I mentioned I like the Sufix Pro-Mix on my President, that's because it goes limp pretty quick and seems to resist twisting pretty well. But why'd I choose mono for it instead of braid? Only because it's what I had on hand when I spooled it. If I'd had more 832 on hand, it's what would have gone on it.
I use braid on all the other spinning reels.
My UL spinning reel pretty much won't run on anything except thin braid, that's because the spool is so tiny that mono will take so much memory it flies off the reel looking like a friggin slinky. Or one of those old school telephone cords. I've even gone down to 4# mono just to experiment, and NOPE! It MUST have 10-15# braid. Less, and it gets wind knots like mad, more and I'll run all the braid off the spool with every cast and go all the way down to the mono backing, IF I can even get it to cast without tangling.
Spinning reels need a thinner line with less memory simply because of how they're designed. Just look at their spec sheets while shopping, BC reels are nearly always listed to take heavier line than spinning reels intended for comparable uses. In fact, putting too thin of a line on a bait caster will cause just as much trouble as putting too thick of a line on a spinning reel.

So, since a spinning reel needs a thinner line, but they excel with line that's very limp and you may want a higher breaking strength than 8-10# mono, braid is just a clear choice.

Braid vs mono on bait casters:
I like braid because I get smoother casts and more distance. Fishing from the bank, I need every inch I can get. Without that biggest obstacle I face, I wouldn't need it. But now I like it. The higher breaking strength, manageability and sensitivity are just bonuses for me.
I use mono for topwater because I tried it out based on a recommendation here, and discovered I seem to get a better action with my topwater lures with it, or at least it's easier for me to get a better action with it.

jwtiger69

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 09, 2018, 12:28:10 PM
On mono vs braid for each type, here's my thoughts:
I mentioned I like the Sufix Pro-Mix on my President, that's because it goes limp pretty quick and seems to resist twisting pretty well. But why'd I choose mono for it instead of braid? Only because it's what I had on hand when I spooled it. If I'd had more 832 on hand, it's what would have gone on it.
I use braid on all the other spinning reels.
My UL spinning reel pretty much won't run on anything except thin braid, that's because the spool is so tiny that mono will take so much memory it flies off the reel looking like a friggin slinky. Or one of those old school telephone cords. I've even gone down to 4# mono just to experiment, and NOPE! It MUST have 10-15# braid. Less, and it gets wind knots like mad, more and I'll run all the braid off the spool with every cast and go all the way down to the mono backing, IF I can even get it to cast without tangling.
Spinning reels need a thinner line with less memory simply because of how they're designed. Just look at their spec sheets while shopping, BC reels are nearly always listed to take heavier line than spinning reels intended for comparable uses. In fact, putting too thin of a line on a bait caster will cause just as much trouble as putting too thick of a line on a spinning reel.

So, since a spinning reel needs a thinner line, but they excel with line that's very limp and you may want a higher breaking strength than 8-10# mono, braid is just a clear choice.

Braid vs mono on bait casters:
I like braid because I get smoother casts and more distance. Fishing from the bank, I need every inch I can get. Without that biggest obstacle I face, I wouldn't need it. But now I like it. The higher breaking strength, manageability and sensitivity are just bonuses for me.
I use mono for topwater because I tried it out based on a recommendation here, and discovered I seem to get a better action with my topwater lures with it, or at least it's easier for me to get a better action with it.

I got ya now.  I follow sort of what you do at least that what I though from the beginning.  I guess it is time to start shopping and figuring what to get.  Thanks again. 

basss

Quote from: jwtiger69 on April 09, 2018, 12:50:56 PM

I got ya now.  I follow sort of what you do at least that what I though from the beginning.  I guess it is time to start shopping and figuring what to get.  Thanks again. 

Check out this site ... http://www.ffo-tackle.com/ffo-combos/

You can do two combos for $82.  An Abu spinner ($40) and a Berkley bait caster (42).  You can even get the line and some lures for $200 or less.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Smallie_Stalker

This is about as basic as it can get without knowing specifics of the waters you will be fishing.

Spinning: Rod - 7 foot  Medium power Fast action.
               Reel: Large capacity spool and high amount of line pickup per handle turn.

Baitcasting: Rod - 7 foot  Medium Heavy power Fast action
                  Reel: At least a 6.0:1 gear ratio with as much line pick up per handle turn as possible.

Remember, you can always make a faster reel go slower if you need to, but you can't make a slow reel go any faster.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

jwtiger69

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 09, 2018, 04:30:47 PM
This is about as basic as it can get without knowing specifics of the waters you will be fishing.

Spinning: Rod - 7 foot  Medium power Fast action.
               Reel: Large capacity spool and high amount of line pickup per handle turn.

Baitcasting: Rod - 7 foot  Medium Heavy power Fast action
                  Reel: At least a 6.0:1 gear ratio with as much line pick up per handle turn as possible.

Remember, you can always make a faster reel go slower if you need to, but you can't make a slow reel go any faster.  :-*

Awesome thanks!   Basically looking at maybe 50-100 for each reel and pole.  Any brands to stay away from or brands that are pretty good in that area?

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: jwtiger69 on April 09, 2018, 06:36:04 PM

Awesome thanks!   Basically looking at maybe 50-100 for each reel and pole.  Any brands to stay away from or brands that are pretty good in that area?

For rods I would look at either the Colt Series or Fury Series from Dobyns rods.

For spinning reels in that price range I would look at Pflueger reels. The President series is a great reel for cheap money. The Trion model is also very good and many Walmarts carry them ( I see you mentioned shopping there).

Baitcasters in that range are a little tougher for me to recommend, but the BPS Pro Qualifier is really good.

Others will chime in with some help too.  ~sun

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

Smallie has hit it just right.

Dobyns rods in any series and you won't regret it.

Plueger president series spinning reels have a huge following.

Daiwa Fuego baitcaster is the best bang for your dollar. Easy to use and cheap but built well.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

jwtiger69

Thanks guys!  Those look nice.  I ended up sending them an email to help decide.  The fury series fits in my budget.  Sense I only plan getting one rod for now I want something that can be used for pretty much anything.  Thanks everyone again for the help and answering my questions.