What to do with Partial rolls of braid

Started by Bud Kennedy, April 09, 2018, 08:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I have a large bag of fishing line.  Some new reels some used etc etc.  A number of these reels have small amounts of line still on them.  Just what do you guys do with all of these partial spools.

Captsteve

make leaders

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

LgMouthGambler

Make giant spider webs. Then, drape them in between your neighbors trees by his front door. Sit out on the porch and enjoy the show.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Wizard

I sew with it. It's good for re-sewing the seams of boat covers, sewing patches on covers, tents, etc. It can also be used to hold a splint together. I use a middle size sail maker's needle and a leather sail make's palm. Also use it to whip rope ends. 

Wizard

SteveTX

Tying skirts on jigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, buzbaits, etc. Tied good and snug and the skirt will need replaced before it comes off.

Captsteve

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 09, 2018, 09:57:58 PM
Make giant spider webs. Then, drape them in between your neighbors trees by his front door. Sit out on the porch and enjoy the show.

<")))>{
lo lo lo

Steve
Headed for the Lake

SFL BassHunter

<")))>{
You would get a kick out of doing that to me. If I didn't realize what it was I would torch the trees as quickly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

You could tie all the left overs together till you have enough line to spool a reel...

Or you could use the line as backing. Works for me on the spools that have the holes. This idea is a little more practical.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Princeton_Man

It makes awesome trip wires for booby traps and clamore mines! >:D

I use old braid and partial spools for all kinds of things around home. repair wind chimes, stitch leather and canvas, use it as a handle wrap for tools/knives....

Use it to make covert structure markers out of empty Mountain Dew bottles with a weights or rocks.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Princeton_Man

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 10, 2018, 06:26:23 AM
You could tie all the left overs together till you have enough line to spool a reel...

Or you could use the line as backing. Works for me on the spools that have the holes. This idea is a little more practical.

I started doing that this year for some of my reels spooled with Tatsu.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pferox

Best button thread around, holds up much better than regular thread.

The used stuff that is going to be discarded works great for tying and bundling up stuff for the trash.

I use a lot of it when wood working also.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Eric-Maine

This will only use about a foot at a time.

A friend of mine lost a few fish when a spinnerbait wire broke. This is his work around to make sure it doesn't happen again. Short length of braid tied to the hook with a loop.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SteelHorseCowboy

<")))>{
Okay, that's awesome! Gonna have to prank the kids with that one!
Quote from: Wizard on April 09, 2018, 10:33:03 PM
I sew with it. It's good for re-sewing the seams of boat covers, sewing patches on covers, tents, etc. It can also be used to hold a splint together. I use a middle size sail maker's needle and a leather sail make's palm. Also use it to whip rope ends. 

Wizard
Same here, the boots I'm wearing right now were repaired with braided line in a few spots.
I'd think 8 carrier would also make decent sutures, but maybe the knots might slip...

Other than that, I've always got some sort of something going on that needs some strong string. I've modified and repaired holsters with it. I also plan on using some to make another wind chime.
I make "manly" chimes out of things like bullet casings and motorcycle gears. The next one I'm planning to make is going to be 30MM shells hanging from something I hope will turn out looking like a section from a GAU-8 barrel set in honor of the A-10 Warthog.
Come to think of it, may just hang 'em from a model A-10. Probably be easier than building something that looks like the barrels.

bigjim5589

Since I'm one of the few fly flingers here, and tie some rather large flies for bass, I use lengths of braid to make articulated fly patterns. With it doubled, the sections of the fly move great, and I never have to worry about the braid breaking or deteriorating.

Articulated streamer flies have become very popular with trout & Steelhead anglers & any big streamer pattern can be made articulated. Some use multiple hooks, and braid works well for connecting them. I usually stick to a single hook, since bass or Striped Bass tend to swallow their prey head first & engulf the entire fly. The rear sections of the fly are tied on shanks & then connected to the single hook with the braid.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 10, 2018, 09:04:45 AM
Okay, that's awesome! Gonna have to prank the kids with that one!Same here, the boots I'm wearing right now were repaired with braided line in a few spots.
I'd think 8 carrier would also make decent sutures, but maybe the knots might slip...

Other than that, I've always got some sort of something going on that needs some strong string. I've modified and repaired holsters with it. I also plan on using some to make another wind chime.
I make "manly" chimes out of things like bullet casings and motorcycle gears. The next one I'm planning to make is going to be 30MM shells hanging from something I hope will turn out looking like a section from a GAU-8 barrel set in honor of the A-10 Warthog.
Come to think of it, may just hang 'em from a model A-10. Probably be easier than building something that looks like the barrels.

I have a former BIL who makes wind chimes out of old compressed gas cylinders... he hangs them from chain though.  lo

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Tie up SWMBO when the honeydos get outrageous!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ~shade
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Captsteve

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 10, 2018, 10:59:02 AM
Tie up SWMBO when the honeydos get outrageous!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ~shade
Rodney
best one yet.....lo lo

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

Cut the forked tail off a soft jerkbait/Fluke style lure. Tie a length of braid to a feathered treble and use a worm threader to pass the braid through the bait and out the nose. Rig the bait on your hook, pull the treble up so the end with the eye buries a bit into the back of the bait and then tie the braid to the hook eye.

When you pause the bait that feather tail flares. It can turn followers into takers.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 10, 2018, 04:13:48 PM
Cut the forked tail off a soft jerkbait/Fluke style lure. Tie a length of braid to a feathered treble and use a worm threader to pass the braid through the bait and out the nose. Rig the bait on your hook, pull the treble up so the end with the eye buries a bit into the back of the bait and then tie the braid to the hook eye.

When you pause the bait that feather tail flares. It can turn followers into takers.  :-*

OK I officially have been taught that there is such a thing as a "worm threader" ! yes I have fished for 40+ years and have threaded maybe a 1000 or more worms and never so much as even heard of a thing much less seen one.

Smallie_Stalker

You can find them at BPS, Wally World and a bunch of other places and they don't cost more than a few bucks.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 10, 2018, 06:06:17 PM
You can find them at BPS, Wally World and a bunch of other places and they don't cost more than a few bucks.
I must have just overlooked them Ive never seen or even heard of one. Not saying they are bad I just didnt know what one was.  lo

bigjim5589

QuoteTie up SWMBO when the honeydos get outrageous!!!

Quotebest one yet.....lo lo

Funny yes, but eventually you'll have to untie her!  ~b~

That could be the last thing you ever do!  ~shade

Not even something I would try with my wife! Not if I want to awaken the next morning!   lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.