Here we go again

Started by Oldfart9999, April 10, 2018, 05:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

I've been having trouble with my left wrist, the arthritis kind, this morning, on a referral I went to my Orthopedic office to get it checked out, I knew there was an outcome that would use surgery but I wasn't ready for what I saw. I was given x rays and as I returned to the office they were being setup  , I was meeting with a PA, I walked back in and stopped to look at the one on the screen, I didn't need my glasses to see it was much worse than I thought. The PA came in and introduced himself then we got down to business.
On the back of the hand there are several small bones that are part of the wrist, the one nearest the thumb had been broken at a time a while ago, I never knew it. Of course it didn't heal correctly, there is a gap between it and the next bone which is much wider than normal, the base of the broken bone is rubbing against the end of the bone and when the weather is right, which happens here a lot, it hurts and most of the time hurts like hell.
My options are a brace, I have one, and or therapy, both of which are temporary at best, and surgery which is a more permanent fix, of course I'm opting for the surgery so it's a "permanent" fix.
I see the surgeon June first, I don't think this going to be a quick cut and sew, I think it's going to be much more intensive. For the third time in 4 years I'm going to have a large part of my fishing year gone to be replaced with surgery then therapy. While I'm at peace and know I'm in the Lord's hands I just can't stop wondering how many more years I have, I'll be 73 when I see the doctor about the surgery, I know I'm on the downside and it's bugging me.
Ah well, I'm looking forward to maybe having some late fall fishing at best and spring fishing next year at worst, I'll be saving for a new sonar unit for the boat and hitting the water with it.
Rodney   
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

Rodney sorry to hear your going to have to miss so much fishing tie. I know how your feeling. I wake up everyday wondering if this is the day my cancer shows up again. Like you said we are in the Lords hands we just have to do the best we can with what time we have left. I will say a prayer for you everyday. I will think about you when I'm out fishing tomorrow and if the Lord gives me a Bass the first ones for you.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Well that sux Rodney. You seem to have had more than your share of these types of things the past few years. You're always in our prayers but we'll add some specifically for this.

Keep us posted.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pacific NW Ron

Sorry to hear that.  I'm in that same age category were your health seems to start to deteriorate at a faster rate than we'd like it to and it gets harder and harder to fish the way we used to or we'd like to.  Not just fishing but it gets harder to do a lot of things we used to do with no effort and now think about doing it for days before doing it because we know we'll be in pain when we're done.
Thoughts and prayers sent.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Donald Garner

Rodney thanks for the update.  You are in our daily prayers  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

analfisherman

Rodney, sorry to hear of your challenges!

Will be praying and hoping for the BEST!

Your friend,
Joe

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Champriderz

I know how you must feel, I'm also in that age group and every little pain makes me wonder if this is the one that ends my fishing.  So far, I have been blessed to dodge most of the bullets or recover from the others.

I hope you get back on the water sooner than you think/

Bud Kennedy

Well Rodney that really sucks.  I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.  At least you are gonna invest in a new sonar that the way it's going will be discontinues and out of date before you can hit the water.  Oh by the way.  It sounds like you should not be hitting anything the way you old brittle bones are doing.   :-*

Bassinkorea

Sorry to hear that Rodney, but at least it will be put right for a more comfortable future.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

merc1997

if it is a good outcome, you will be glad to get the permanent repair, and be able to operate better.

i operated for a number of years with a whole lot of things torn up, and to tell you the truth, i really do not know how i managed.  the grace of God is how that i strung along.  now that i have gone through surgeries on both hands and wrists, both shoulders, both knees, i can function quite a bit better.  i will keep you in my prayers for the best outcome, and you will be back to going full tilt.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

DonM

Rodney, sorry to hear about this. It is tough to miss out on all that fishing, but at least you will be 100 percent after the recovery.
I got lucky and was down during the cold weather.  I was laid up from Jan. 9 til around the end of March, with V-Tach heart issue, Defibrillator implant, infection of that, another surgery to clean it up, and finally doing rehab to get a little strength back.   
My wife who is MUCH younger than I am, is having some fairly serious tendon problems in her foot and ankle and can't put any weight at all on it.  This getting old stuff seems to be one thing and then something else.
Only by the grace of God did I survive this latest heart issue, and He is helping me heal still.  He will do the same for you.  I'm a little ahead of you and will turn 75 in July.  I hope!  :)
DonM

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 10, 2018, 07:55:28 PM
It sounds like you should not be hitting anything the way you old brittle bones are doing.   :-*

Hmmm, that might be an idea!!! lo lo lo ;)
If I do get a new sonar unit it'll be this winter when they are on sale and I have the cash saved up.
Guys, thanks for the prayers, I appreciate them all!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

DocIrv

Being over 70 means no pain only if you are unconscious..... my fishing buddy had hand surgery a few years back for arthritic pain and his results were very good. Get it done and you should be fishing in a few weeks.
UB members get a 20% discount. Use the coupon code UB20 during check out. If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
*But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I ret

-Shawn-

Prayers for quick Healing Rodney.

Wizard

It's tough not fishing. I didn't get to fish for 5 years because of injuries. Get it fixed and enjoy the rest of your life. I'll say a prayer for you. I believe you're a tough old bird and will sail through the surgery.

Wizard