2001 Evinrude 225 Ram

Started by 2112BCS, April 17, 2018, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2112BCS

just purchased this boat about a month ago..it has been sitting for about 4 years. work done so far had the lower unit replaced, fuel filter under the cowl replaced- mechanic said it looked good no smell. bulb line from tank to motor replaced with a quality line. tanks pumped about a quart of trash and nasty looking stuff pulled.  question what is my next step..i was thinking of installing a fuel water filter to catch anything before it hits the engine filter. does the oil need to be pumped and changed from the oil tank? any ideas to get this one up and on the water thanks.
91 Stratos 01Evinrude 225 ram

Princeton_Man

Quote from: 2112BCS on April 17, 2018, 04:43:17 PM
just purchased this boat about a month ago..it has been sitting for about 4 years. work done so far had the lower unit replaced, fuel filter under the cowl replaced- mechanic said it looked good no smell. bulb line from tank to motor replaced with a quality line. tanks pumped about a quart of trash and nasty looking stuff pulled.  question what is my next step..i was thinking of installing a fuel water filter to catch anything before it hits the engine filter. does the oil need to be pumped and changed from the oil tank? any ideas to get this one up and on the water thanks.
91 Stratos 01Evinrude 225 ram

Sitting 4 years?? If it hasn't been run in for years, I'd fog the cylinders to get them lubed up. I'd flush the tank/tanks well. I'd replace the oil tank and oil, drain the lines, and prime four or five times. Adding an extra fuel filter is always a good idea. Doesn't take much to burn a piston.  Use some compressed air with a rag in the fuel fill to blow out any water or old fuel from the vent lines.

FICHT motors had a few issues.... It would be good to have a rude tech go over it to verify the recalls and service bulletin issues have been addressed.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

sounds like you're on the right track. I'm with Princeton_Man, sitting up that long, I'd want to make sure the cylinders were very wet before it fired off. Maybe pulling the plugs and turning it over until I got gas and oil.

I'd also make sure all coils were firing properly, the screwdriver trick will help with that.

I like your idea of pumping the oil reservoir and making sure you got fresh crude in there. I guess it doesn't go bad but who knows with these new synthetics and such.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

2112BCS

Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want to rush this process and foul up the engine. The motor was a replaced by a quality marine shop in the area. Under the cowl it looks almost brand new. Still learning and making a list of things to do.