What causes this?? Broken hub

Started by cojab, April 14, 2018, 02:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cojab

I was checking a prop I just got for my boat and when I pulled the old one off, this is what I found.
So, as the title says, what causes this. Also what can this do to my engine, performance etc.
TTK has spoken.

Pacific NW Ron

Wow, I'm not sure what caused that or what other damage it might have done.   One thing I can say it ain't good.  From what I see I'm surprised you old prop was still turning or for that matter even still on the shaft.  I can't tell for sure but is that your prop shaft or where exactly was it in relation to the prop?
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

cojab

Everything was completely in place when I pulled it apart.
In fact, after pulling the prop off, the big chunk from the back of the hub slid out of the prop and I was able to place it back in the prop and it fit in perfectly where it had broke. After sliding the rest of the hub out is when the rest of the pieces came apart.
TTK has spoken.

Lipripper

Quote from: cojab on April 14, 2018, 03:52:35 PM
Everything was completely in place when I pulled it apart.
In fact, after pulling the prop off, the big chunk from the back of the hub slid out of the prop and I was able to place it back in the prop and it fit in perfectly where it had broke. After sliding the rest of the hub out is when the rest of the pieces came apart.
Dang that don't look or sound good. I don't know anything about motors but I would think you need that part to make it run right.  :-\

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cojab

Quote from: Lipripper on April 14, 2018, 04:30:28 PM
Dang that don't look or sound good. I don't know anything about motors but I would think you need that part to make it run right.  :-\

;D Yeah I would agree with you. Thanks for looking and replying Lip. Your a class act sir!
TTK has spoken.

Capt. BassinLou

Cojab, most of the time, a broken hub is caused when you hit something at full throttle. But, you will notice slippage if that was the case, shortly after. There are other causes like extreme heat and such, but if you just noticed it now when conducting a propeller check, you may never know what was the cause. Take the serial number off your outboard and/or prop for the correct hub replacement. Good luck.

cojab

Thanks Lou. I was thinking the prop had to hit something pretty solid but there is not so much as a scratch on the prop. It is stainless but I would still think it would leave some kind of scar.
The other thing I was thinking is that this boat sat for as far as I can tell 6 or maybe even 7 years without being used at all. Is it possible this part degraded sitting and maybe a very light hit on something shattered it?
Thanks for looking Lou.
TTK has spoken.

Oldfart9999

I believe that part of the hub is a type rubber and it dried out, I hope one of the experts chimes in.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cojab

I think its a Flo Torq type hub OF. It's a hard type of plastic or composite of some sort
Thanks for the input sir.
TTK has spoken.

Mike Cork

First, I've shattered lower units by merely ticking something at full throttle, it's all about the angle and the position of the motor and compression strokes when it happens.

With it sitting so long, I would imagine it was extremely degraded and simply putting it in gear caused it to shatter.

I'd replace it and keep an eye on it but I bet you won't see any issues.

Thanks for posting it though, I've never seen one do quite that  :o

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cojab

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it.
I've posted before about some idle speed lower unit clunking I've had. I'm curious now if this is what was causing it. I'll have the boat on the water Tuesday and I will find out.
TTK has spoken.

Mike Cork

Not knowing how long it's been cracked, it certainly could have been

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BassBUFF

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 15, 2018, 07:26:18 PM
First, I've shattered lower units by merely ticking something at full throttle, it's all about the angle and the position of the motor and compression strokes when it happens.

With it sitting so long, I would imagine it was extremely degraded and simply putting it in gear caused it to shatter.

I'd replace it and keep an eye on it but I bet you won't see any issues.

Thanks for posting it though, I've never seen one do quite that  :o

Bingo! Agree. Combination of everything. Buy 2 and keep a spare in the boat along w/tools to change it if needed.

merc1997

it says here that you have hit something.  that type of hub is made to do just what it did to protect the engine.  but, i am not for sure just how it did not start slipping.  you need to get you a spare hub kit to keep in the boat.  it is simple to replace and get back to running when you spin one.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

big g

I think if you hit something while running hard there would have been damage to the prop.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

cojab

Quote from: merc1997 on April 16, 2018, 10:45:25 AM
it says here that you have hit something.  that type of hub is made to do just what it did to protect the engine.  but, i am not for sure just how it did not start slipping.  you need to get you a spare hub kit to keep in the boat.  it is simple to replace and get back to running when you spin one.

bo

Thanks for the input big g and Bo.
I truly cant think of anytime I have hit anything and there is not a mark one on the prop. The only reason I think it didnt slip is because it was all together like it was whole inside the prop and the prop was keeping it all together. If I didnt slip it out of the prop I woud have never seen that it was in pieces. In fact, when I first turned the prop over, just one piece of it came out. I put it back in and it matched up perfectly and you wouldnt even know it was broken. When I pulled the rest of it out is when it all came apart.
I did replace the hub and also have another prop and complete hub in the boat now.
TTK has spoken.

Oldfart9999

Good reason to pull the prop and inspect it at least once a year.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.