Spinnerbait Fishing in Florida

Started by FlatsNBay, April 15, 2018, 06:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

How many of you like to throw a spinnerbait in Florida? What makes and colors do you like? Are there any particular conditions that you favor for fishing a spinnerbait?

This upcoming weather front got me jonesing to fish a spinnerbait. I like to fish them during overcast windy rainy weather. It's one technique that I used to fish all the time that I don't much anymore. Other techniques usually get the nod. I'd like to fish spinnerbaits more often.

For baits I usually use some type of Strike King only because I have a bunch of them from years ago and haven't needed to buy any. I use either a white with silver blades or shiner color with gold blades. I did win a Kvd burner SB in "woops"y shad that I really liked. It had a nice flat head, really flexible wire and 2 small Willow leaf blades. It could be retrieved really fast and burned.

Any others that I should consider trying?

Capt. BassinLou

The spinnerbait is one of my favorite techniques to throw. I have thrown several brands in the past, like Booyah's, Terminators, and BPS house brand. Right now, I mostly throw custom spinnerbaits, in a variety of bait fish colors. My favorite combination of blades is double willow, with a #6 willow on top. I like to throw big blades and wake fish it around and inside cover for the big fish bite. As far as when do I throw the spinnerbait? I usually throw it around this time of year, post spawn, when the fish are on the move again.

SFL BassHunter

Spinnerbait was a lure I rarely used till last year. I never gave it time to work. I finally decided I was going to use nothing but the spinnerbait one day at the canal and after a good 30-45 min of no bites I normally would have switched. But I didn't.
I caught two fish that were decent size that day and it helped my confidence. I then started throwing the spinnerbait more often and it yielded some nice 3-5lbers for me throughout the year. One day in particular I caught a several nice fish and lost several big girls.
Not one set technique caught them. Some days I caught them higher on the water column on straight retrieve others, retrieve stop, retrieve stop, and so on.
On the day I caught several nice ones and lost some nicer ones I the big girls were deep and casting out and just letting the spinnerbait flutter down then slowly retrieve got them to bite.
For colors most my spinnerbaits are white or white with other shades. Some bluegill some shad color.

Fin junkies tackle spinnerbaits treated me well last year. Most my catches were on their threadfin shad color. What makes them special? I have no clue. They are just a regular spinnerbait. But they do have a big blade on them which I like and the colors are nice.
I also have strike king spinnerbaits and war eagle and both make a decent lure.
I stick to the following colors:
White
Shad
Threadfin
Bluegill

Willow Blades either both silver or one gold one silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

Used to throw them a lot, then like lots of "old" baits new ones get my attention and I switch to using them.

Started throwing them again a few weeks ago and they were the ticket that day to getting bites or not getting bites. I had already went through swimming and hopping worms, several cranks of different styles and depths, Flipping, and Topwater.

The wind came up stronger and for me, like you stated, wind & clouds are the best time for a Spinnerbait. That day I started with a Bluegill color and had no luck. switched to a White & Chartreuse and Boom started getting hits almost immediately.

I've used Strike King, BPS, and H2O and honestly I don't see much difference besides the price you pay. I can buy 2-3 H2O or BPS for the price of 1 SK and it only takes 1-2 Mudfish to destroy a Spinnerbait, so maybe I'm cheap or maybe I'm smart--- You decide.

Like any bait, they have their time and place.

SFL BassHunter

On thing I forgot to mention is just how great of a lure it is here in Florida. It really is a fairly weedless lure. You first look at it and go there's now way I can throw that with all this vegetation. Then you do and realize it goes through different types of grass very well.
It's also deadly in pads. You might think this thing will get hung in the pads and they don't. They just plop right over the pad in most instances. I've caught a few fish that have hit it right after it plopped over a pad.

Fish them INSIDE the cover , not just around and you'll be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Eric-Maine

Like the War Eagle in mouse color. SB goes through the wire grass and pads pretty good if you limit cast length and get those blades moving as soon as it hits the water.

Captsteve

alright ya'll have convinced me. My next outing will be spinnerbaits only. See if that will yield some fishes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

BarryFL

Quote from: Eric-Maine on April 15, 2018, 11:53:29 AM
Like the War Eagle in mouse color. SB goes through the wire grass and pads pretty good if you limit cast length and get those blades moving as soon as it hits the water.
War Eagle are my favorites, especially the one that is the size of a 1/4oz but weighs a 1/2oz. I primarily throw silver shiner and golden shiner dependent on water clarity. They work well in Florida when the bass are on outside grass lines. I posted a trip to Toho about 6 weeks ago when that pattern was on.

-Barry-

~Barry~

FlatsNBay

I love it when a plan comes together. I took a few casts with the spinnerbait between the rain drops behind the house. I very rarely catch anything in this pond since most of the bass move to better quality waters through a series of pipes. The water is brown and void of any weeds or cover. I picked this one up on a Strike King double silver blades with a white and chartreuse skirt. It probably went about 3 lbs. Conditions were windy and rainy. Perfect for spinnerbaits!

SFL BassHunter

There you go!

That's a bright spinnerbait! lol
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

Champriderz

A spinnerbait is almost always tied on one of my rods for early morning.  I may start with a buzzbait or other top water but if they are finicky I shortly grab the spinnerbait.  Bright sun or calm clear water is the enemy of the bait unless like several have mentioned there is a good wind, cloud cover or rain to cut visibility.

Like everything, it isn't magic but it is a great tool that will still catch em.  Little bait, big bait, every size and blade combination has its place.  Another tool for really grassy places is the old Snagless Sally with a trailer that I grew up fishing and still use.

I love spinnerbait fishing!!

FlatsNBay

What about modifications such as a trailer, trailer hook, changing blades, skirts or components out?

I usually use a Zoom split tail trailer and match the color to the skirt. I hardly ever use a trailer hook because I'm usually fishing some type of heavy cover with a SB in Florida.

As for modifications, I usually strip a spinnerbait of its components when I retire a bait. Every once in a while I will change out a damaged or rusty blade or component with what I've saved. I like to also keep a few extra skirts on hand for replacement if needed.

I saw a recent post on UB about adding a wire around the skirt collar of a jig. I looked into it on YouTube and it looks easy enough so I am going to try that on my spinnerbaits and jigs.

Champriderz

I also keep parts and reuse or modify baits with them.  I buy various blades and replace tarnished ones as I like a shiny blade and also like to experiment.  I keep trying to find the time to try and paint some of the tarnished blades because I have a box full.

I fish about half the time with no trailer but when I use one I like chunks and have been experimenting with the vibe tail chunks.  I really miss the Uncle Josh pork chunks, best spinnerbait trailer ever.

I keep an eye on the skirts and wire tie them when the band looks stretched.  A short piece of stranded electrical wire will provide a couple of years of wire to tie them or rigging wire from a saltwater tackle shop will work.

I use them so long I have to watch or they will get so old they break in the bend.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: FlatsNBay on April 21, 2018, 06:52:37 AM
What about modifications such as a trailer, trailer hook, changing blades, skirts or components out?

I usually use a Zoom split tail trailer and match the color to the skirt. I hardly ever use a trailer hook because I'm usually fishing some type of heavy cover with a SB in Florida.

As for modifications, I usually strip a spinnerbait of its components when I retire a bait. Every once in a while I will change out a damaged or rusty blade or component with what I've saved. I like to also keep a few extra skirts on hand for replacement if needed.

I saw a recent post on UB about adding a wire around the skirt collar of a jig. I looked into it on YouTube and it looks easy enough so I am going to try that on my spinnerbaits and jigs.

I don't do many mods. I did buy a bunch of blades in case I lose a blade.

I do cut the spinnerbait skirts that are very long though, they interfere with the trailer. Though I don't always use a trailer. Sometimes I use swimbait, and sometimes nothing.
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 22, 2018, 09:02:51 AM
I don't do many mods. I did buy a bunch of blades in case I lose a blade.

I do cut the spinnerbait skirts that are very long though, they interfere with the trailer. Though I don't always use a trailer. Sometimes I use swimbait, and sometimes nothing.

Rick the reason MOST of those made with a long skirt is so you don't need to use a trailer. They help with the Stinger Hook by hiding it as well.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Deadeye on April 23, 2018, 09:31:00 AM

Rick the reason MOST of those made with a long skirt is so you don't need to use a trailer. They help with the Stinger Hook by hiding it as well.
Yeah I don't like em. I also don't use stinger hooks, too much vegetation down here for that.
Since most of the times I don';t use trailers the stinger hook isn't needed once I cut down the skirts anyways. If the bass are gonna bite, they are going to get the main hook.
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 23, 2018, 07:14:13 PM
Yeah I don't like em. I also don't use stinger hooks, too much vegetation down here for that.
Since most of the times I don';t use trailers the stinger hook isn't needed once I cut down the skirts anyways. If the bass are gonna bite, they are going to get the main hook.

Stingers are awesome for when the fish are short striking. Those stingers have saved my day in more than one occasion.

SFL BassHunter

I'm not saying they are bad. I just personally don't care for them. Takes away the weedless aspect.
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

Come over to the Stinger Side Rick, it's more fun over here............

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 23, 2018, 08:49:26 PM
I'm not saying they are bad. I just personally don't care for them. Takes away the weedless aspect.

I can see where that can be a pita, since you and I fish a same location often, I'm careful where I cast when the vegetation is thick. I choose my casting lanes wisely.

FlatsNBay

I picked up some 26 gauge floral wire at the craft store. It only took a couple of minutes on each spinnerbait to wire tie the skirts. It was really easy. I just followed the directions from a YouTube video. I kept the rubber skirt collar in place, evenly flared out the skirt in place, took a small rubber band and wrapped around the skirt on the hook portion to keep it out of the way (my own idea), hung the spinnerbait from the hook, cut about 4" of wire, wrapped wire 2 times around the skirt next to the collar, twist tightened wire with needle nose pliers (but not too tight or the wire will break), cut wire and bend excess wire out of the way. Done! It was so easy, I'm going to do all my jigs the same way!

In theory, the skirt should better stay in place and I wont have to worry about the rubber skirt collar deteriorating.  :-*

West6550

I used to throw them a ton and caught quite a few fish on them.

My favorite and best producing ones are:

1: Strike King "woops"y Chartreuse 1/2 oz with one willow & one smaller colorado blade

It is great for shallow fast around reeds and slow rolling drop offs. Caught a ton of fish on this bait,especially in the Chain of Lakes in Winter Haven.

2: Seibert Outdoors Bream 1/2 oz with one willow & one smaller colorado blade

This bait seems to work anytime a search bait bite is going yet the water is a little more clean.

3: $1 Walmart black & chartreuse with a single large colorado blade with a white large grub tail trailer.

The #3 used to catch fish on Kissimmee every trip I went there. I fish it just under the surface with braid around small dollar lilly pads.. and hold on!! They will slam it!

I prefer double willows in silver when a school bite it on. I prefer single black colorado early AM & dusk. But most the time I like a smaller colorado and larger willow. They thump good and give a nice flash.

cport

Don't forget NuTech's spinner baits. Real quality builds on those, and I have caught fish with it (and I rarely throw spinnerbaits).
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣