Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok I've been Converted  (Read 637 times)

Deadeye

• Ultimate Basser
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
Ok I've been Converted
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »

After reading the replies on a How do you Rig your Texas-Rig, I noticed that quite a few just buried the hook point instead of Tex-posing it like I always have.

For the record Tex-Posing the hook is bringing the hook point through and then sticking the point back into the plastic.

I noticed that several of the Florida Guys said they buried the point like when Flipping and I decided to give it a try.

What I found was that I could bring it through grass and junk much easier without getting snagged. The worm or whatever lays straighter, which I like. Sticking Fish was not a problem. The plastic bait lasted longer.

So like I said, I have been converted to a Hook Buryer instead of a Tex-Poser.

Try it and see if you don't like it better too.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: Ok I've been Converted
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »

Okey dokey then, I'll try it next time I go out.
What I used to do is push the tip through just to the point where I could feel it on the other side.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »

For me it depends. On braid, I have no issue keeping the hook burried. On mono I tex-pose it for an easier hookup since there is more stretch on the line.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »

After reading the replies on a How do you Rig your Texas-Rig, I noticed that quite a few just buried the hook point instead of Tex-posing it like I always have.

For the record Tex-Posing the hook is bringing the hook point through and then sticking the point back into the plastic.

I noticed that several of the Florida Guys said they buried the point like when Flipping and I decided to give it a try.

What I found was that I could bring it through grass and junk much easier without getting snagged. The worm or whatever lays straighter, which I like. Sticking Fish was not a problem. The plastic bait lasted longer.

So like I said, I have been converted to a Hook Buryer instead of a Tex-Poser.

Try it and see if you don't like it better too.
Glad you tried and liked it Fred. I always bury my hook with all plastics and situations.
Reels: Shimano, Daiwa,& Lews
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »

wow I was taught burying the hook was Texas rigged.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »

Worm fishing started with burying the hook point into the worm. The plastic formulas were  different from today. The plastics were much harder and it was hard to set the hook. Very soon, Tex-posing came along to make the set easier. You no longer had to drive the hook through the plastic before it went into the bass. Over the years, plastic formulas evolved into the very soft plastic of today. Now you don't need the big hook set of yore. The hook pulls easily through the plastic and into the bass. Really no need to Tex-pose in today's fishing.

Wizard

OkobojiEagle

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »

Thanks for referencing the original thread as I'd missed it.  I'm surprised there were no comments that relied upon the design of the hook.  I have some hooks that when rigged the point doesn't lay flat with the bait and I bring the point through the plastic then push the hook backwards into the bait covering the point to become weedless.  My wide-gap hooks are shaped with the point and barb flat and horizontal and they lay tight to the bait after the hook is pushed through.  These I tex-pose.

oe

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »

Some years ago I went back to using straight shank hooks and I always bury them in the bait.  All the ones I have are round bend but i am looking for a stout straight shank hook with a sproat style bend. If anybody has any suggestions I'm open.  :-*
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »

Congrats on the conversion Fred!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:28:12 AM »

I'm a Tex-poser ... but I too will give the bury method more of a chance.
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

Polaris425

• Ultimate Basser
  • Fishin' Alabama
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »

I've always just left the hook buried inside. Never had any issues.

Matter of fact, after a few fish and when tearing the head off the worm won't keep the hook buried anymore, I get a new worm. Cause that's when you start getting hung up.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Coonrod

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »

I made the same switch about  a year ago.
Haven't looked back. It's much less snaggy and you're right about the worms lasting longer.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »

I made the same switch about  a year ago.
Haven't looked back. It's much less snaggy and you're right about the worms lasting longer.

Unless it's a GY Senko they are real soft and don't last real long but the fish love them. i have always buried  my hooks also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

basss

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »

I've always just left the hook buried inside. Never had any issues...

I've had issues with the thicker swimbaits, skinny dippers specifically.  The hook doesn't go through and hook the fish.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »

I've had issues with the thicker swimbaits, skinny dippers specifically.  The hook doesn't go through and hook the fish.

What hooks are you using?
Reels: Shimano, Daiwa,& Lews
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »

This is where hook gap comes into the mix. You need to increase the hook gap size. I see a lot of new anglers make the opposite mistake if they are using a  long but thin bait. They use a hook with too  wide of a gap because they look at the length of the bait and think they need a hook that buries in the middle of the worm. Hook gap should always be determined by the thickness of the bait.
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

Jackel2

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »

Does burying the hook reduce your hook ups?  It makes sense that the bait will go through the weeds better but are you missing fish because of it?

BURTONboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 06:07:48 AM »

Does burying the hook reduce your hook ups?  It makes sense that the bait will go through the weeds better but are you missing fish because of it?
No. If you have a good hook and you set the hook like you oughta, you will have no problem. I only Tex-pose when the plastic gets worn and its the only way to keep fishing that worm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »

Pull the hook through enough to feel the point then pull the hook back. It's oldschool and it works.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

OkobojiEagle

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »

Yes. A fully exposed hook will, on occasion, stick a bass that has bitten so lightly you would not have felt it if the hook point had been buried.  Exposed hook points are a good idea whenever the cover will allow.

oe
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:22:13 AM by OkobojiEagle »

Coonrod

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:03 AM »

Not at all.  For worms at least.  I have a very high hookup ratio, a missed set is a rare occurrence.

basss

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 09:38:47 PM »

What hooks are you using?

I use Grammies. 3/0 or 5/0.

basss

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »

This is where hook gap comes into the mix. You need to increase the hook gap size. I see a lot of new anglers make the opposite mistake if they are using a  long but thin bait. They use a hook with too  wide of a gap because they look at the length of the bait and think they need a hook that buries in the middle of the worm. Hook gap should always be determined by the thickness of the bait.

:-*   Thanks for the lesson.

The smaller skinny dippers -and thinner- have no issues with the same hooks ... hmmm.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 11:53:50 PM »

I do not Tex-pose mine. As some have already stated, I also use strait shank hooks almost exclusively for my plastics. I believe the Owner Jungle Flippin' Hook has me covered for 90% of my plastics besides swimbaits. these hooks have very stout Zo-Wire material that I don't bend out, and has a excellent designed keeper that is flexible yet holds baits plenty good. Has a good length shank with a nice round fairly wide bend that works well with some thicker baits as well as smaller ones. Also it is sharp as he** and that little bit of plastic has no bearing on my hook coming through.

I do not pre poke holes in my plastic for the hook point to come through as a matter a fact I cant stand the hook point poking through so easily. I need and prefer virgin plastic over the hook point so the only way its exposed is if I set it. Today's hooks are extremely sharp that little plastic ain't stopping a hook set. I like it to be able to snake its way through all the crud I toss mine into without hang ups on the junk. 

The EWG makes a "pretty" to the eye bait but if you want to stick fish get a strait shank. At least then 1/2 your hook point isn't covered by the shank of the hook itself.  :P
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:40 AM »

OK, I know this thread is/was aimed at hooks and plastic worms.
GREAT thread!

BUT what about things like a Caffeine Shad or other plastic Flukes?
Or other 'softer' plastics or plastic worms like the Yamamoto Senko.

Straight shank really isn't the best, my opinion anyway. (talking Jerk bait now)
Especially when a 'weighted Wide Gap hook' is better for a 'flat fall' on the typical 'jerk bait' type cadence and retrieve.

So the question is, the deeper you 'in-bed' the hook, the more the plastic gets torn up when catching/setting or fighting a fish.
Frankly I even 'Tex pose' the hook in the slot on top.
Even though Caffeine's have a slot on top of them.

So I hear some say the worm lasts longer the deeper the insert......and yes I've tried it of course. ;) ;D

I use 'Mend-It' on almost every Caffeine Shad I've ever used.
Actually, put them in a seperate bag when on water and then save them till I got a dozen or so....then mend them in quantity.

SO THOUGHTS PLEASE!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.