734 for light frog rod?

Started by Matt_3479, April 15, 2018, 07:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_3479

Looking to use a one of the two rods I own as a frog rod over light to medium cover. Nothing super heavy and never pulled anything out over 6lbs. Most water is actually pretty clear and not much cover. Anyone used the 734c for a frog rod? Blew my budget and can't afford a dedicated frog rod and I'm not sure what to use my Sierra 734C for. Other rod would be a diawa zillion 7'2" medium heavy regular, that is much much faster then my dobyns

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Matt_3479 on April 15, 2018, 07:51:19 PM
Looking to use a one of the two rods I own as a frog rod over light to medium cover. Nothing super heavy and never pulled anything out over 6lbs. Most water is actually pretty clear and not much cover. Anyone used the 734c for a frog rod? Blew my budget and can't afford a dedicated frog rod and I'm not sure what to use my Sierra 734C for. Other rod would be a diawa zillion 7'2" medium heavy regular, that is much much faster then my dobyns
The 734 will serve you just fine for light cover frog duty. Keep in mind, the tip is more of a fast action vs XF than most frogging rods.

SFL BassHunter

Yes I've used my Savvy 734 extensively in light to medium cover. I've also used it in thicker pad fields. Rod has plenty of back bone. It loads up real good on the fish too and I feel I get easier hooksets on it than heavier frog rods.
Never caught anything over 6 frogging with it but it should do just fine considering some of the pads I've pulled fish through to get to the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Matt_3479

Awesome! I might try the Daiwa rod first. To me it feels a little more stout then the dobyns, and the tip is a little faster as well. Figured it might make a better rod. It's suppose to be there cranking rod and unless it's mislabeled I really don't think to a cranking rod lol. It's nice to know I can try the dobyns though. Thinking no of using the dobyns for small swimbaits, paddle tails, chatterbaits and such. If the Daiwa doesn't work out then I'll try the dobyns for frogs. Just need to get a couple reels.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Matt_3479 on April 16, 2018, 11:05:44 AM
Awesome! I might try the Daiwa rod first. To me it feels a little more stout then the dobyns, and the tip is a little faster as well. Figured it might make a better rod. It's suppose to be there cranking rod and unless it's mislabeled I really don't think to a cranking rod lol. It's nice to know I can try the dobyns though. Thinking no of using the dobyns for small swimbaits, paddle tails, chatterbaits and such. If the Daiwa doesn't work out then I'll try the dobyns for frogs. Just need to get a couple reels.
What you'll find is the Dobyns 734 is one of the most versatile rods you'll ever have.
You can do just about anything with it with the exception of extremely light finesse, and heavy stuff.

I crank, spinnerbait, chatterbait, frog, worm, jig, swimbait, and swimjig with it. From 1/16oz bullet weight and a worm to 1oz lures.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on April 16, 2018, 11:10:54 AM
What you'll find is the Dobyns 734 is one of the most versatile rods you'll ever have.
You can do just about anything with it with the exception of extremely light finesse, and heavy stuff.

I crank, spinnerbait, chatterbait, frog, worm, jig, swimbait, and swimjig with it. From 1/16oz bullet weight and a worm to 1oz lures.

Having only eight baitcasting rods the Sierra 734 seems to be the rod to use as a backup for what is working. Like a second cranking, topwater, worm, swimbait, or senko rod.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Matt_3479

Well that makes me feel a bit at ease. I love getting a good top water bite, but want to get more into the frog fishing. My dobyns only has a 6.3:1 tatula sv on it, which I know people prefer a little faster for the frogs so I might grab something a little faster for the Daiwa and and if it doesn't work I'll switch the reels around and try the dobyns

Gary Dobyns

The 734C will work for open water or light cover. Beyond this I'd not recommend a 734C. Any of our 735C models will perform better for frog rod. The Champ 735C is the most popular. Thx!!