Bass Fishing Epiphany

Started by Princeton_Man, April 16, 2018, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

While we're on day 2 of the BBT tournament and searching for a new pattern, I went back to my roots and started T-rigging a green pumpkin GY Kut Tail and with seconds it was inhaled by a spunky 2 1/2lb Small Mouth. It wasn't long before I needed to put on a new bait.

I couldn't find the bag of green pumkin Kut Tails!  :o I dug and dug, heaving bag after bag to the back of the locker. I pulled out bags after bag onto the deck... I've lost them! :surrender: How can you loose a 5"x7" bag full of plastic baits in a Stratos 285???

It was at that moment I realized I've got far too many baits in my tackle locker. I must have at least 50 bags of plastics in the locker! It doesn't stop there, I have 3 3700 boxes packed with NuTech jigs! I don't need all 70 something of those jigs to be in the boat! No reason in the world I can't put together one assortment in box to keep on board.

After turning the front deck over to Zippy, I launched an all out search and recovery mission and after another 15 minutes so, found my green pumpkin Kut Tails. This weekend I'm going to thinning the heard and making some room in the tackle locker.  ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

okay... what a glorious day it was for me when I bought my new FLOATING TACKLEBOX!  oh, the stuff I could 'stuff' into it.

then my epiphany was 'hey, there's this bonus room over the garage that nothing is in' so I moved to sorting all my baits into storage tubs, boxes.  then put up a couple of racks for the 3700 boxes (and boxes~!).

Now I have 4-5 boxes that I rotate seasonally with baits I expect to need.  in ONE of these boxes is the stuff I plan on using for that day (lures).

the boxes with terminal tackle are a different matter entirely.

Lipripper

PM sounds like you need to get some of that stuff off the boat. Heck I bet it will even run faster too. lo lo Glad you caught some fish. ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Kris

I had that happen this year because I am a non-bpater for part of this Season. I went from a BPS Extreme bag that is made for 3700 boxes horizontally and filled with 14 - 3600 boxes to a Plano tackle box that carries 5 3700 boxes. I went through and made selections and condensed my carry tackle into those boxes. Next step was to limit the number of rods that I carry down to a maximum of 5. Not doing well in that part yet since I took 7 with me last Saturday. I will have some 3600 boxes with me in my boat later this year but want to limit to a max of six rods. We shall see.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

zippyduck

I limited my tackle and it could have cost us as not one topwater was in the boat. I think I may have done some damage with a spook.
What to take what to leave at home?
Only suggestion is to limit how many of something you are taking. If they are on a lure or color then load the boat up, otherwise a couple bags of plastic or lures should handle a day of fishing.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: zippyduck on April 16, 2018, 03:34:01 PM
I limited my tackle and it could have cost us as not one topwater was in the boat. I think I may have done some damage with a spook.
What to take what to leave at home?
Only suggestion is to limit how many of something you are taking. If they are on a lure or color then load the boat up, otherwise a couple bags of plastic or lures should handle a day of fishing.

Dang, you were welcome to use some of mine! ~b~

I've just let being prepared for anything go too far.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Donald Garner

I went through my Stratos and cleaned out a bunch of baits etc prior to fishing the UBCS event on Toledo Bend last month.  We got down there and I couldn't find what I was looking for >:(    We had to make a run to Toledo Tackle to get some additional Soft Plastics  lo 

I need more storage in my Stratos 285  :surrender:
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Donald Garner on April 16, 2018, 08:04:56 PM
I went through my Stratos and cleaned out a bunch of baits etc prior to fishing the UBCS event on Toledo Bend last month.  We got down there and I couldn't find what I was looking for >:(    We had to make a run to Toledo Tackle to get some additional Soft Plastics  lo 

I need more storage in my Stratos 285  :surrender:

That's exactly what I don't want to have happen, but I think I let it get out of control.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

DonM

P Man,
If I may politely inquire, where exactly to you park your boat at night? 
Thanks so much!!  :)
DonM

zippyduck

Quote from: DonM on April 16, 2018, 08:37:28 PM
P Man,

Don you are not getting near my truck when I get down there.  ;) lo

Captsteve

Quote from: zippyduck on April 16, 2018, 10:22:01 PM
Don you are not getting near my truck when I get down there.  ;) lo
come on share them baits

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Princeton_Man

Quote from: DonM on April 16, 2018, 08:37:28 PM
P Man,

It's always in the garage Don. I'll share if you can get past the security.  ~roflmao

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

I think most of us have "tackleitis". When I started tournament fishing it was as a non-boater and I was limited in what I could carry. I bought a BPS soft rod carrier, 7 outfits fit in it and when they weren't being used they stayed in it. I had a BPS red 3700 tackle bag, now I'll admit that it was full with no room left for a toothpick but I was still limited in how much I could carry. Yes, it took 2 seasons but that tackle bag blew it's seams out. lo lo Last year, when I could hit the water I carried 15 or so outfits and my tackle wouldn't have fit in 4 of the tackle bags, I wasn't catching anymore fish and was spending a lot of time searching for and changing lures instead of getting lures wet. Something was wrong! :shocking: :o I started weaning myself of baits or amount of baits, and cutting back on the outfits, I started thinking about what I really needed to have with me, I started spending more time with a bait in the water and started to catch more fish.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

DonM

The STUFF I leave in my boat is probably worth more than the boat!  It's in my driveway.  Let me check and see if my insurance policy is up to date!!  :)
DonM

coldbasser

:help: :help:
My tackle , rods , reels are worth more than my boat FOR SURE
My home insurance policy covers them.
Darn Monkey
In God we trust, but evil occurred when good men do nothing

Smallie_Stalker

Prior to selling the last boat I owned I took out all the stuff I put in there. I was totally shocked at how much I managed to pack in there and how much of it never got used. I remember looking at all of it as I was unloading it and thinking "what was I thinking?"

The real problem came when I realized "Where am I going to put it all?" We live in a relatively small 4 room apartment and the walk in closet I used as my tackle storage area was already pretty full.

I always heard people say we have more tackle than we need but I think that was the moment I realized just how true that statement actually is.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

Guys, you are disappointing me.  Isn't the object of the game to acquire gobs and gobs of tackle.  No where on the man card does it say you have to need it or even use it.  Hoarding tackle is on par with taking a nap right after a large Thanksgiving dinner.

Ask yourself this series of questions

Do I need it ?   If you answer no then you need to remind your self that need is not a requirement

Do I want it ?   If you answer Yes then you need to accept that buying should not represent an issue

Does it Catch Fish.   You realize the answer to that is obviously yes.  All you need to do is learn how to use it and when is the best time and conditions to use it.

Is it on Sale?  If you answer yes then obviously this is not a problem   If not then you can either wait until it is on sale or just buy it anyway claiming that after all it really isn't that much money.

How many should I buy ?  Now this is a problem, It all depends upon how many colors it comes in.

Where am I gonna put it?  Obviously a non problem.  Just put it in the boat with the rest of the stuff.  (problem solved)  If you don't have a boat then you need another house or you need to buy a boat.  Obviously a boat is better that way the stuff is always with you even though you may not be able to find it.

I hope you find this checklist helpful so you don't have to worry about having too much stuff.  Remember you can't have too much stuff or too much fun.  They go hand in hand.   ;D ;D ;D

zippyduck

Bud,

I like your assessment of the situation.  ;)

DonM

I was fishing Monday and caught a few on WM Red Fluke.  The one I had tied on got torn up so I started looking for another package.  Looked for five minutes or so and never found one, so I changed colors...no more bites.
When I got home I cleaned out the storage compartments and bags and found eleven bags of WM Red Flukes.  :)
DonM

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 17, 2018, 05:16:01 PM
Guys, you are disappointing me.  Isn't the object of the game to acquire gobs and gobs of tackle.  No where on the man card does it say you have to need it or even use it.  Hoarding tackle is on par with taking a nap right after a large Thanksgiving dinner.

Ask yourself this series of questions

Do I need it ?   If you answer no then you need to remind your self that need is not a requirement

Do I want it ?   If you answer Yes then you need to accept that buying should not represent an issue

Does it Catch Fish.   You realize the answer to that is obviously yes.  All you need to do is learn how to use it and when is the best time and conditions to use it.

Is it on Sale?  If you answer yes then obviously this is not a problem   If not then you can either wait until it is on sale or just buy it anyway claiming that after all it really isn't that much money.

How many should I buy ?  Now this is a problem, It all depends upon how many colors it comes in.

Where am I gonna put it?  Obviously a non problem.  Just put it in the boat with the rest of the stuff.  (problem solved)  If you don't have a boat then you need another house or you need to buy a boat.  Obviously a boat is better that way the stuff is always with you even though you may not be able to find it.

I hope you find this checklist helpful so you don't have to worry about having too much stuff.  Remember you can't have too much stuff or too much fun.  They go hand in hand.   ;D ;D ;D

It seems that no matter what the age we all have the same state of reality, it's a good thing and we're doing our best to keep the economy going!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: DonM on April 18, 2018, 01:07:54 AM
I was fishing Monday and caught a few on WM Red Fluke.  The one I had tied on got torn up so I started looking for another package.  Looked for five minutes or so and never found one, so I changed colors...no more bites.
When I got home I cleaned out the storage compartments and bags and found eleven bags of WM Red Flukes.  :)

Good to know I'm not alone!  lo

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

OkobojiEagle

"He who dies with the most toys wins...", I'm sure someone must have said it.

oe

Lipripper

Quote from: DonM on April 18, 2018, 01:07:54 AM
~roflmao ~roflmao I think we all have done that Don  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet