Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "How to:" Frog fish in South Florida  (Read 646 times)

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
"How to:" Frog fish in South Florida
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »

Rick reached out and asked me to do a piece in the "How to" thread in regards to frog fishing. I couldn't resist to write about frogging soooooo... here's my .02 on frog fishing in South Florida.

For "me" frog fishing consists of 4 major categories: Where? When? How? and Gear.

Location... location.... location....

Identifying where one must place that frog, is one of the most important skills an angler must develop to increase their chances of a hook up. We hear of these "places" all the time: Pads, hydrilla, grass, wood, rock, trees, etc..etc.. all of these types of cover provide bass with the opportunity to hide and ambush their prey.

I always say let the fish be your guide when frog fishing. How and where, the bass strikes at your frog are major clues of the fish's behavior at that moment. Duplicating that same pattern on your next cast or series of casts will greatly illicit the same response from other bass. A quick example of this happened to me on Kissimmee one year with Rick. The fishing was S L O W, the wind was blowing like crazy and we had to seek refuge and fish the little canals behind the homes. With an hour left before weigh in, I decided to just throw the frog for a big bite. I cast at a dock and the frog hit the wall and landed by the shadow line of the dock. Boom!!.. a fish exploded on the frog. Thinking that was a lucky cast, I did it again by another dock. Boom!! another fish. Hmmmm .... did it one more time at another dock. Boom!! again!! 3 strikes in very short succession equals a pattern in my book. After that, the fishing turned around for us with less than an hour left in the tournament.

WHEN to fish the frog?:

Listen to me very carefully... a frog can be fished in South FL, at all times of the day. The thinking that a frog should "only" be thrown during the early morning or evening hours is completely false. I can confidently say this statement due to the number of witnesses that have experienced frog fishing with me in the middle of the day, under different conditions.  But....  Will the frog work all the time? Nope!! But it can the majority of the time. ;)

How to fish the frog:

Once you have identified your target spot, how you work the frog will determine if you get a strike or not. You can only determine how the fish want the frog presented by observing when the bass are striking at the frog. Are the strikes occurring on the walk? The pause? When sitting?  Or??  as soon as hits the water? Failure to adjust to these clues, can mean the difference of a fantastic outing or a frustrating one.

Once the bass strikes the frog, when should the hook be set? Again.... it depends. (See the pattern... ;) )
Are the bass inhaling the frog? Slapping? Fast striking? etc. How they are striking that frog will dictate if you have to set those hooks quickly or give the fish a second or two. Fast strikers, you hook set quick. Inhalers, you can give them a 2-3 seconds before you set those hooks.

Gear

There's no need to re-invent the wheel here. Rod: 7 ft - 7'6" H, Line: XF, 50-65lb, braid when fishing in Heavy cover. Light to Medium cover: 7ft- 7'6" MH, XF, 40-50lb, braid.
Reels: Aluminum framed, 7 speed ratio or higher, (w/high IPT's) and a strong drag system.

Miscellaneous

When choosing to fish the frog, give this lure its due diligence. Many anglers love the allure of having a Big bass blow up on their frog, but lack the patience to find a discernible pattern. Every big fish bait requires their due diligence;  Swimbaits, Jigs, Spinnerbaits, Cranks etc. Why should the frog be any different?

Good luck!!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:49:57 PM by Bassinlou »
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
Re: "How to:" Frog fish in South Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »

That's awesome Lou! You certainly have a ton of knowledge on this subject, and I couldn't think of a better person to put this how to together! I am sure this will help many new and experienced anglers in their quest to become a hollow body frog fishing expert!

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »

Thanks Rick. Hopefully that short piece helps some people out.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »

Great stuff Lou  ~c~ Under How to fish the frog: do you think you could add a little more information  like on HOW TO WALK A FROG.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:14:26 PM »

Great stuff Lou  ~c~ Under How to fish the frog: do you think you could add a little more information  like on HOW TO WALK A FROG.  ;D

I can share that here.. lol!! this is an on going thread, not an article piece.

If you can walk a spook or swim a fluke, you can walk a frog. The best way I can explain it Lip is how the Fluke master explains it. You work the frog similar to that of a beat of drum. With a little bit of slack line, and your rod tip lowered you begin to beat the drum. Tap... tap...  tap... tap... ( each tap = is a wrist snap) as you tap, the frog should be pivoting to the right or left, on the next tap, the frog should pivot to the opposite side.  So in the sequence above... tap... tap... tap... tap... should equal a pivot sequence of: left, right, left, right. Once you get that down pat. Walking a frog is just a series of long or short taps. The main thing to keep in mind is that its all in the wrist, no other part of the arm but the wrist.

Hopefully I explained myself well enough.  lo But like I said. The Flukemaster has a video demonstrating how to walk a bait.

BURTONboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »

How about your favorite frog lures. Say top 5. Im sure you've got it posted somewhere else already, but I havent seen it and im trying to figure out a good frog to buy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »

How about your favorite frog lures. Say top 5. Im sure you've got it posted somewhere else already, but I havent seen it and im trying to figure out a good frog to buy.

My top 2 Hollow Body Frogs are: Live Target frogs, sizes 55 & 65 and Spro Bronzeye's 65's These frogs have superb hooks and can take a beating.

Economy frogs: Booyah's.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:29:29 PM by Bassinlou »

BURTONboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »

My top 2 Hollow Body Frogs are: Live Target frogs, sizes 55 & 65 and Spro Bronzeye's 65's These frogs have superb hooks and can take a beating.

Economy frogs: Booyah's.
Awesome. Thank you. I will into buying some of each.

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »

Lou let me just add that on that "tap...tap...tap...tap" your wrist should snap back to starting position each tap. When done effectively with the same amount of line (not reeling in any line) the frog will walk in place or near in place.
Keeping the frog in the strike zone can be critical sometimes.

For me the best way to learn is to start with 2 taps. Tap, Tap. Left, Right, Stop. Left, Right, Stop. Sometimes we get overwhelmed while trying to learn, trying to walk the frog with many consecutive snaps.
Not to mention, many times the strikes will come during the stop, or upon the next snap after the stop.

Once you've mastered the tap, tap, you can move on to tap, tap tap, then tap tap tap tap. Eventually you will be able to work the frog at many different cadences to determine which one gets the fish going.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »

Awesome. Thank you. I will into buying some of each.

If your buying a 'couple'....be sure to get at least one in the 'popping frog' version.
I think Lou will agree?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »

If your buying a 'couple'....be sure to get at least one in the 'popping frog' version.
I think Lou will agree?

Anal, I would agree a popping frog will would be a good addition to a frog collection.

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »

Lou is right, Live Target LT55 and 65 are quality products. They certainly make the most durable frog I have seen so far.

I think the verdict is still out on the popping version from LT, at least the big one for now. Lou did run into some issues with it that were posted in his review of the frog as an update. I still haven't used mine enough to determine if I have the same issue with the line breaking inside the nose ring of the frog.

There are also other options and it all depends on personal preference. I've been a big fan of the 5.99 Booyah frogs which have served me well on day to day frog fishing, BUT were a little bit of a disappointment when bombarded with the 103 bass day. The hooks eventually started to bend on hookset after 6 or 7 very aggressive fish.
Frogs were still usable but required a little bending the hooks back to make them weedless again.

I am also a fan of the River2Sea Bully Wa 2 frog. It's not as durable as the live targets and it's high price point makes it less attractive, but it is as far as I can tell one of the easiest frogs to walk. The live target to me is one of the most difficult.
Spro Spit Shad is also a good option that is easy to walk.

Again "Which frog is best?" is a personal preference. Lots of things to consider.
One thing is fact though...those LiveTarget frogs catch fish.
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »

Thanks Lou and Rick. Like I said the other day it's been over two years since I've done any serious Bass fishing and after my cancer treatments somethings I have to relearn again. Dang Chemo Brain.  :'( I'm sure it will all come back to me and next time I get out I will read this thread again and again till I can remember it.  ;D

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »

Lou let me just add that on that "tap...tap...tap...tap" your wrist should snap back to starting position each tap. When done effectively with the same amount of line (not reeling in any line) the frog will walk in place or near in place.
Keeping the frog in the strike zone can be critical sometimes.

For me the best way to learn is to start with 2 taps. Tap, Tap. Left, Right, Stop. Left, Right, Stop. Sometimes we get overwhelmed while trying to learn, trying to walk the frog with many consecutive snaps.
Not to mention, many times the strikes will come during the stop, or upon the next snap after the stop.

Once you've mastered the tap, tap, you can move on to tap, tap tap, then tap tap tap tap. Eventually you will be able to work the frog at many different cadences to determine which one gets the fish going.

Thanks for the additional information Rick.  :-* The combination sequences are endless, and taking it slow and stopping every few taps is one of the best ways to learn how to walk the frog.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:09:18 PM by Bassinlou »

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »

Thanks Lou and Rick. Like I said the other day it's been over two years since I've done any serious Bass fishing and after my cancer treatments somethings I have to relearn again. Dang Chemo Brain.  :'( I'm sure it will all come back to me and next time I get out I will read this thread again and again till I can remember it.  ;D

Read it again and again?! Get out there and fish Lip!! Its like riding a bike. You never forget. Best way to learn froggin again is right before you go to sleep. Visualize yourself working the frog and when the time comes to actually fish it, you will see how easy it is to get started again. Trust me.. I frog fish every night right before I go to sleep in my new boat.  ;)

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 05:20:00 PM »

Read it again and again?! Get out there and fish Lip!! Its like riding a bike. You never forget. Best way to learn froggin again is right before you go to sleep. Visualize yourself working the frog and when the time comes to actually fish it, you will see how easy it is to get started again. Trust me.. I frog fish every night right before I go to sleep in my new boat.  ;)
Trust me I do every night as I lay here in my recliner in the dark trying to go to sleep. I have Insomnia and it takes me sometimes over to hours to fall asleep and I lay here thinking about fishing all the time till I fall asleep   ;D

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 05:21:20 PM »

Trust me I do every night as I lay here in my recliner in the dark trying to go to sleep. I have Insomnia and it takes me sometimes over to hours to fall asleep and I lay here thinking about fishing all the time till I fall asleep   ;D

There you go... Trust me, walking the frog should be a breeze for you then.  ;)

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »

Great advice! Has anyone mentioned modifications yet? I like to trim my legs so that they are the same general length as the body of the frog. A lot of guys will trim one leg a little shorter than the other to (in theory) walk easier. I don't think it makes a difference and don't have a problem walking a frog with legs trimmed the same. I do generally bend the hooks out ever so slightly to increase my hook up ratio. I let the cover dictate how much to bend the hooks out.

I've tried a lot of different frogs and am happy with the Spro Bronzeye series in regular or popping version. I like to soften them up by leaving them in the hot truck for several days.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »

Great advice! Has anyone mentioned modifications yet? I like to trim my legs so that they are the same general length as the body of the frog. A lot of guys will trim one leg a little shorter than the other to (in theory) walk easier. I don't think it makes a difference and don't have a problem walking a frog with legs trimmed the same. I do generally bend the hooks out ever so slightly to increase my hook up ratio. I let the cover dictate how much to bend the hooks out.

I've tried a lot of different frogs and am happy with the Spro Bronzeye series in regular or popping version. I like to soften them up by leaving them in the hot truck for several days.
I have always used the Spro Bronzeye series in regular or popping version also but wanted to try some of the Albino frogs out and Spro didn't make them so I bought some of them Live target ones to try out this year in the Albino color and got both the popping and the regular frogs in both sizes. As far as cutting the legs back a little I did it on my Spro frogs abut I think the legs on the LT are not as long as the ones that come on the Spro.

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »

The only mod I do on each frog,  is cut an inch from each side of the skirt.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »

The only mod I do on each frog,  is cut an inch from each side of the skirt.
Speaking of Frog Legs (not the kind you eat before someone ask lo) I need to get some new one for some of my old Spro's the bodies are still in great shape but most of the legs are shot and need to be replaced and what tool do you use to change them?

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »

Lou probably has a better system but this is how I do it.
I've replaced MANY......but even though it seems simple....I recomend spinkling a little 'corn starch' (never used it but I'm sure 'baby powder' works as well) on the skirt end you are PULLING through the first leg hole.....slids through easier.

Use any store boughten or hand made jig skirt.
You want 'round' skirt material not flat.
You can go to most shops and get them or use our sponsor.....https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Rainys-Round-Rubber-B-p/rainys-barredround-rubber.htm
Don't need to use 'frog specific' skirts.....color combinations are endless.

There are other systems but this is the easiest, cheapest system I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgLCCIj5pLI

Note.....you want to make the knot you tie in the middle of the skirt as SMALL as possible.....big knots you'll find really hard to get through the leg 'hole'.....and this is where the corn starch application comes in.  ;)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »

Thank you for the video Joe. I honestly don't have a system to replace frog skirts. Fortunately its extremely uncommon for my frogs to lose their skirts. ( They don't live that long.... lol!!) But skirt replacement is a pretty good skillset to learn. Thanks again!!

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 07:35:48 AM »

I've got no idea how to properly replace legs. Seems troublesome. But yeah my frogs don't survive long enough for the legs to go.
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 11:35:07 AM »

thanks for the video Links Anal. I for sure will watch them a few times and look for some new legs. I've never changed mine before either but due to dumb storage for the two years of not fishing battling this cancer several of them legs need to be replaced. The bodies are still good but the legs not so much. ~b~

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 26 queries.