Frog reel?

Started by Matt_3479, April 16, 2018, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_3479

Looking for a top water/frog reel? Any recommendations?

zippyduck

What price range?
Daiwa Fuego in the cheaper range to so many more higher priced.
Look for an all aluminum frame and at least a 7/1 speed.

I use a Daiwa Tatula svtw and an Abu Revo stx for frogs. Both are excellent and both in the highest speed I could find.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

cojab

I just bought the Curado K to try as my frog reel. Solid reel, brass micro gears, smooth and you can get it in a smoking fast 8.5:1 retrieve rate.
Got it on sale for $150.00 I think it's going to work well for that application.
TTK has spoken.

LgMouthGambler

Im playing with the Fuego CT a bit, and it will flat out launch a frog. Ive added bearings to it to make it smoother though.

Im also playing with the Lews Super Duty G LFS reel. That sucker is sick!

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

D.W. Verts

I use a ... oh, never mind.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

Matt_3479

Quote from: zippyduck on April 16, 2018, 07:30:50 PM
What price range?
Daiwa Fuego in the cheaper range to so many more higher priced.
Look for an all aluminum frame and at least a 7/1 speed.

I use a Daiwa Tatula svtw and an Abu Revo stx for frogs. Both are excellent and both in the highest speed I could find.

Sorry I should of specified. To start I live in Canada so the prices are way different so for an idea I don't want to be spending Metanium prices or even chronarch price preferably. But like Curado K around little up or down I don't mind.

SFL BassHunter

The fuego ct can be had for 90 dollars

The super duty is like 179 but I'm sure can be found for a little cheaper.

These fall within your price range.
I don't have the fuego ct but I have the Tatula ct and they are basically the same reel. But mine has the TWS guide. Honestly for frog I think the fuego would be better though I've had no issues with the Tatula. Or the TWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Matt_3479

Well I love my Curado K and tatula sv now, I'll take a look at the tatula ct as well. I was thinking at looking for a 13 fishing concept A with the 22lbs of drag it sounds like it will make a nice compact yet strong reel for it!

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Matt_3479 on April 17, 2018, 11:16:55 AM
Well I love my Curado K and tatula sv now, I'll take a look at the tatula ct as well. I was thinking at looking for a 13 fishing concept A with the 22lbs of drag it sounds like it will make a nice compact yet strong reel for it!

I commented on your thread about the Concept reels.  Like mine a lot so far.  I bought a dedicated frog rod over the winter.  I mounted a Curado 201E7 on it.  Used it a few times earlier this year when visiting Florida.  Unfortunately I didn't get anything with it.  I imagine the cold may have had something to do with that.

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 17, 2018, 06:53:46 AM

a 1979 Abu 5000?
Rodney

Pretty close. I didn't want to act like I was showin' off.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: D.W. Verts on April 18, 2018, 12:38:40 AM
Pretty close. I didn't want to act like I was showin' off.
Hey, you can't help it that some folks were never taught what class is!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 18, 2018, 06:47:52 AM
Hey, you can't help it that some folks were never taught what class is!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Lol

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 18, 2018, 07:05:26 AM
Lol

<")))>{

That movie is a classic! Long live the Triple Lindy!
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Dangerfield

Quote from: Matt_3479 on April 17, 2018, 04:46:30 AM
Sorry I should of specified. To start I live in Canada so the prices are way different so for an idea I don't want to be spending Metanium prices or even chronarch price preferably. But like Curado K around little up or down I don't mind.

Cabela's has the Daiwa Fuego CT on sale for $111.99 CAD till the 29th, the only speed is 8.1 which should be perfect for frogging. PM for other ideas. i've got a good ebayer who might be helpful and price friendly to Canadians.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: cojab on April 16, 2018, 07:46:51 PM
I just bought the Curado K to try as my frog reel. Solid reel, brass micro gears, smooth and you can get it in a smoking fast 8.5:1 retrieve rate.
Got it on sale for $150.00 I think it's going to work well for that application.

Dittos. Been using Curados for nearly 30 years and still love them!

My buddy here locally when I met him had 4 abu revos. I had curados.

Then he read online about how great Lew's were and he bought one a few weeks ago and put it on a St. Croix Bass Mojo rod.

He was not happy with it. So I told him about the new Curado K model. He went out and bought one. Yesterday he purchased his second and will get two more soon. He put it on a nice GLoomis GL2 rod I sold him for a great price.

Now he has a combo he is happy with. So I said why didn't you try the curado sooner? You could of been happier sooner!  :-\

Oh and the Lew's and revos are being sold along with the abu rods.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

cortman

I've never seen or handled a reel with better bang-to-buck than the Tatula SV.

Matt_3479

Thanks everyone. I finally got to try all my reels out side by each and was pleasantly surprised by the Concept C. Don't get me wrong I'm still in love with the Curado K and my tatula sv, and my chronarch mgl is a beautiful reel and super easy to use, but the concept C I didn't really expect to be up to par with any of these reels. Buttery smooth, super easy to cast, great on the retrieve, very pleased to say the least. Makes it harder to decide now between another tatula, Curado or another concept reel.

FloridaFishinFool

One thing to consider when buying reels is service and parts availability.

Keep us informed on how that reel holds up over time.

I would like to know how long you use the new reel before a problem arises- if it does. Durability is an issue sometimes.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

LgMouthGambler

Dont worry too much. The good thing about Banax and Doyo, is they basically use the same parts in all their reels, even when they change designs a bit. Sometimes you can get parts for reels even when they are 15 years old, as most of the series parts all fit. The problem with the big 2 lately, is they are trying to make parts harder to get to make you buy new ones.

Matt_3479

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 24, 2018, 03:38:21 PM
Dont worry too much. The good thing about Banax and Doyo, is they basically use the same parts in all their reels, even when they change designs a bit. Sometimes you can get parts for reels even when they are 15 years old, as most of the series parts all fit. The problem with the big 2 lately, is they are trying to make parts harder to get to make you buy new ones.

That is something that had me thinking when I first purchased the concept C for my cranking rod. But no matter how many times I walked into a store, If they had a C sitting there I had to play with it. Even when I was buying my chronarch mgl. I figured I could only good and read as much as the next guy before I figured I'd test it myself. I'm going run this reel pretty hard before I decide if it's worth looking into another concept reel as a frog reel. Love 13 fishing rods so far as well! Been very pleased with my envy black!