Fishing North East Texas April 16 2018

Started by SteveTX, April 17, 2018, 12:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

Well work finished up early the wind had finally got below 900mph, OK it was below 20+mph that we have been having. So that says hook up the boat we are going fishing.

The air temps were in the 60s headed for low 70s with water temp showing to be 67 where I was fishing.   

The weapon of choice today was mainly the Dobyns 784ML with the Lew's TPG1XH Tournament Pro G Speed Spool Reel spooled with 65lb Sufix 832 Camo braid. I had tied on a Strike King Hack Attack 3/8 oz. Casting/Flipping Jig in black and blue. I had switched the collars on my Strike King Hack Attack jigs to rattle band ones, and added two large rattles, as I use rattles heavily in these murky waters. The trailer was a Zoom 3-1/2'' Fat Albert Twin Tail Grub in sapphire blue. These grub trailers have helped almost eliminate the missed hooksets as they don't have the extra length where the fish can easily grab just the appendages. Compact package is working better right now with these picky fish.  ;)

The fish were biting quite good today just wasn't able to find the long ones. This loaded with eggs female was most likely trying to get her business done as she was quite bloody. I didn't have my scale but she was over 6 and I am being conservative with that guess. One other thing to look at is my hand would go in her mouth as you can kind of get the idea where I am holding her. Look at the last pic in my post my hands are not small.  :o

Its hard to tell but the bottom pic is a typical 3 to 4lb catch here. As you can see she dwarfs the 3lb fish. And if you could see how thick its not even close. Keep in mind I am not at the same height on these pics either. I was holding the smaller fish so I was leaning down when I took that pic. She might have touched 7 but I put her back to make sure she grows into at least a 7 or 8.  ;D

Pic for size reference of her mouth. That is the same hand that is holding her mouth.

cport

Quote from: SteveTX on April 17, 2018, 12:20:22 AM
Well work finished up early the wind had finally got below 900mph, OK it was below 20+mph that we have been having. So that says hook up the boat we are going fishing.

The air temps were in the 60s headed for low 70s with water temp showing to be 67 where I was fishing.   

The weapon of choice today was mainly the Dobyns 784ML with the Lew's TPG1XH Tournament Pro G Speed Spool Reel spooled with 65lb Sufix 832 Camo braid. I had tied on a Strike King Hack Attack 3/8 oz. Casting/Flipping Jig in black and blue. I had switched the collars on my Strike King Hack Attack jigs to rattle band ones, and added two large rattles, as I use rattles heavily in these murky waters. The trailer was a Zoom 3-1/2'' Fat Albert Twin Tail Grub in sapphire blue. These grub trailers have helped almost eliminate the missed hooksets as they don't have the extra length where the fish can easily grab just the appendages. Compact package is working better right now with these picky fish.  ;)

The fish were biting quite good today just wasn't able to find the long ones. This loaded with eggs female was most likely trying to get her business done as she was quite bloody. I didn't have my scale but she was over 6 and I am being conservative with that guess. One other thing to look at is my hand would go in her mouth as you can kind of get the idea where I am holding her. Look at the last pic in my post my hands are not small.  :o

Its hard to tell but the bottom pic is a typical 3 to 4lb catch here. As you can see she dwarfs the 3lb fish. And if you could see how thick its not even close. Keep in mind I am not at the same height on these pics either. I was holding the smaller fish so I was leaning down when I took that pic. She might have touched 7 but I put her back to make sure she grows into at least a 7 or 8.  ;D

Pic for size reference of her mouth. That is the same hand that is holding her mouth.

I'd say that is closer to seven than six. Great fish, what a sow!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching ~c~ Tks for sharing those pictures with us also.  Nice catch there.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard