Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grub suggestions?  (Read 660 times)

Braden

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Grub suggestions?
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:24:58 AM »

After reading the previous thread about fishing with a grub, I am very interested in trying them out. If I was going to buy one pack, what would be a good kind, color, and size to try for bass fishing down here in Mississippi? Green pumpkin is a good all around color down here, but I have not seen that available in a grub.

Preferably something that I could run by and pick up at the local Walmart, Dicks, or Academy (most of the shipping options cost more than the bait themselves).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: Grub suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:34:51 AM »

Mr Twister 4 inch Twister tail grubs, 20 packs are cheap enough to get several colors.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »

Kalin's makes a good grub. 3 inch for numbers and 5 inch for bigger bass. Some good standard colors for your area: green pumpkin, watermelon/red, june bug and smoke.

Wizard

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »

Kalin's makes a good grub. 3 inch for numbers and 5 inch for bigger bass. Some good standard colors for your area: green pumpkin, watermelon/red, june bug and smoke.

Wizard
Used Kalins quite a bit in San Diego Bay for spotted bay bass, sand bass, and halibut; actually, they catch just about everything. A very good bait.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

OkobojiEagle

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »

I echo the Kalin's suggestion...3", 4" & 5" (you need all 3 sizes).  Green pumpkin is good, so is smoke.  I like the Triple  threat 3" in "Witches Brew" for smallmouth.  I believe the grub is best fished on a jighead exposed point.  If you're going to fish it in weeds T-rigged a 4" - 7" worm would be a better choice.  The grub is better when swimming along the weed edges.

oe

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
  • (425)299-1861
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »

I like the Mr. Twister in 3" and 4" in colors white or yellow.  I've caught many species and sizes of fish on those two colors in several states. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

njpaulc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »

Two things, when I'm not catching fish a 1/16 oz head with a 3 in brown pumpkin grub, an all purpose grub for me would be a 4 in black grub.

Ddyyak

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »

For me, any color as long as it's black. I've caught fish on 3 inch black grub when nothing else works. Fished creeks with black and buddy fished different color and it wasn't close. As soon as he switched to black he was catching.

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »

We have a site sponsor that makes a mean grub too.
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »

Tie a small rubber band between the line tie and the hook barb. Easy to put on and take off nd you don't need to T-rig. The rubber band can also be used for tubes and finesse worms.

Wizard

OkobojiEagle

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »

Tie a small rubber band between the line tie and the hook barb. Easy to put on and take off nd you don't need to T-rig. The rubber band can also be used for tubes and finesse worms.

Wizard

While trying this trick some years ago, I never found it to work.  What I have found to work is a suggestion gleaned from another board that uses a hitchhiker spring attached to the eye and a thin piece of finesse worm just long enough to thread on the hitchhiker and bury the hook point into the other end... Just another way to skin the same cat.

oe

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »

Rather than use a curl tail grub, try rigging the last 1 3/4" of a finesse worm tail on a light jighead (1/32 or 1/16oz).  Cast it out, let it sink and use a very slow erratic retrieve.

Strike King Mr. Crappie Lightning Shad is one I highly recommend.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:55:53 PM by saltystick »

Braden

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »

Great ideas, thanks!

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:33:52 AM »

Yep these Doc Irv grubs are pretty cool. I'm gonna do up a review on one of them someday.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 05:58:44 AM »

In truth there are many grubs from many manufacturers and they all work well. I've used Twister, Kalins, Berkeley and one or 2 others with good results. Under no circumstances let this secret out, Texas rigging a 5 inch Kalins works well in grass, now you are sworn to secrecy and upon pain of being infested by the monkey's family do not tell anyone else.
Rodney

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »

In truth there are many grubs from many manufacturers and they all work well. I've used Twister, Kalins, Berkeley and one or 2 others with good results. Under no circumstances let this secret out, Texas rigging a 5 inch Kalins works well in grass, now you are sworn to secrecy and upon pain of being infested by the monkey's family do not tell anyone else.
Rodney
That secret isn't too secret LOL Hold on to your rod when you rip it out of the grass
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Jackel2

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 06:37:14 PM »

I have to agree with the others that like the 5 inch Kalins although I wall also use other brands.  In clear water it is hard to argue with Blue Pearl from Kalins.  Depending on the depth, I will use 1/8 Big John Mushroom head from Gopher Tackle or the 1/4 ounce in deeper water.

Here is a video of me explaining how to rig a Kalins and how to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tmJKBleIho

Braden

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 05:48:25 AM »

I wasn't able to find anything locally, before I made an order (and had to pay shipping), I was thinking about cutting down a zoom ultra vibe speed worm. I thought that the tail might have a similar action to a grub, but I am just guessing here. Anyone try this before?

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »

I wasn't able to find anything locally, before I made an order (and had to pay shipping), I was thinking about cutting down a zoom ultra vibe speed worm. I thought that the tail might have a similar action to a grub, but I am just guessing here. Anyone try this before?

Try shopping at Academy right now they are running free shipping with no minimum purchase. They have a few grub offerings.
Also Doc Irv a great guy who supports our forum and has more customization options than anyone.  ;) His shipping is very reasonable.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

Braden

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »

Bought a pack of ultravibe speed worms to cut down, some 3 inch kalins in green pumpkin and smoke, and some 2 inch Mr crappie lightening shad to try.  Thank you for all of the suggestions!

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »

When we hear the term grub used, we automatically think curl tails or Sassy Shad. But if I had to define what a grub is, I would say it is any soft plastic lure you can attach to a jighead that displays action of some kind. The Ned rig uses a soft stick rigged on a mushroom jig, but the concept is there all the same: weighted hook and quivering body.

Here's one I made that is similar in action:

The tail part is made from soft plastic, harder plastic up front. With slight rod top twitches, the tail quivers; with rod tip jerks the lure darts back and forth. It catches every species of fish like most soft plastic/jig combinations. Here are a few other cone tail grubs:

Here are examples of hybrid grubs you can make yourself from plastics lures you already own (that actually work better than the originals they were made from):

Same principle: jig and soft plastic action-shape that provokes bass into biting.

Small paddle tail worms such as Charlie Brewer's 4" Slider worm is one of the best I've used with a jighead except I shorten the lure to 2 3/4". It may look like a paddle tail, but from the side the tail is tapered to a point which make the tail move like no other short worm I've ever cast.

I'm not saying that other paddle tails don't work, but not as well overall. Here are some of my hand pours that do better if I make the paddle thinner with a soldering iron:

These are a few among a thousand you can rig on a 1/16 - 1/8 oz jig head and use all over the place. Curl tails for me are history though I will occasionally modify Mr Twister grubs which can be retrieved much slower and still have the tail slightly fluttering which drives fish nuts!:

A few more examples:

So don't lock yourself into always depending on a manufacturer to provide small soft plastics that can be attached to a jighead (though the Crappie Magnet is excellent and cheaper than most). Just know that jigs and plastic combos have been around for decades and caught millions of fish - baits that should always be handy.

(One thing I forgot - a few colors will do among the hundred or so that can do as well. Think in terms of brightness and contrast. As for myself, I don't like grape, emerald green or black.)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:41:27 PM by saltystick »

Eric-Maine

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »

Liking the 2.8 and 3.3 Keitech fat swing impact fishing them on 3/16 midwest finesse heads slow rolling shallow and deep in cold water. Not advertised as a grub.....but the grub was the original swimbait.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »

When we hear the term grub used, we automatically think curl tails or Sassy Shad. But if I had to define what a grub is, I would say it is any soft plastic lure you can attach to a jighead that displays action of some kind. The Ned rig uses a soft stick rigged on a mushroom jig, but the concept is there all the same: weighted hook and quivering body.

Here's one I made that is similar in action:

The tail part is made from soft plastic, harder plastic up front. With slight rod top twitches, the tail quivers; with rod tip jerks the lure darts back and forth. It catches every species of fish like most soft plastic/jig combinations. Here are a few other cone tail grubs:

Here are examples of hybrid grubs you can make yourself from plastics lures you already own (that actually work better than the originals they were made from):

Same principle: jig and soft plastic action-shape that provokes bass into biting.

Small paddle tail worms such as Charlie Brewer's 4" Slider worm is one of the best I've used with a jighead except I shorten the lure to 2 3/4". It may look like a paddle tail, but from the side the tail is tapered to a point which make the tail move like no other short worm I've ever cast.

I'm not saying that other paddle tails don't work, but not as well overall. Here are some of my hand pours that do better if I make the paddle thinner with a soldering iron:

These are a few among a thousand you can rig on a 1/16 - 1/8 oz jig head and use all over the place. Curl tails for me are history though I will occasionally modify Mr Twister grubs which can be retrieved much slower and still have the tail slightly fluttering which drives fish nuts!:

A few more examples:

So don't lock yourself into always depending on a manufacturer to provide small soft plastics that can be attached to a jighead (though the Crappie Magnet is excellent and cheaper than most). Just know that jigs and plastic combos have been around for decades and caught millions of fish - baits that should always be handy.

(One thing I forgot - a few colors will do among the hundred or so that can do as well. Think in terms of brightness and contrast. As for myself, I don't like grape, emerald green or black.)

The term "grub" is generally thought as a curl tail but doesn't have to be, remember the Mann's Spade tail grub, Johnson made a twin tail grub but the tails weren't curled or twister shape, they were tapered thinner, they and the Mann's didn't have a lot of action which is why they worked when the bite was tough.
Rodney

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »

I still have some (spade tail) Sting Ray grubs by Mann and did catch fish on Johnson grubs   with Beetle Spins.

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 06:31:56 AM »

The BPS XPS grubs are as good as any, otherwise the Chompers or Kalins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 23 queries.