new trailer bunkboard upgrades

Started by coldfront, April 17, 2018, 07:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

I came out of a world where folks were getting rabid over invasives.  got me to thinking about bunkboards and carpet - which in some worlds could be described as 'spawning habitat'.

so when I got my new trailer, I requested different boards.  didn't do a good job on my description, so this is what I got (vinyl coated bunkboards)

not sure how this might work with gelcoats, but for aluminum, it's great.

One key difference:  NEVER EVER undo the bowstrap UNTIL the boat is safely in the water.

Capt. BassinLou

I would love to see the new bunk boards, but there seems to be a host site issue with your pictures. 

Captsteve

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 17, 2018, 09:13:43 AM
I would love to see the new bunk boards, but there seems to be a host site issue with your pictures.
yep

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 17, 2018, 09:13:43 AM
I can't see them either. I think I've seen this happen for someone else also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: coldfront on April 17, 2018, 07:50:27 AM

so when I got my new trailer, I requested different boards.  didn't do a good job on my description, so this is what I got (vinyl coated bunkboards)

what I really wanted was a different product (made in GA, of all places).  it's a polycarbonate bunkboard, and for a few dollars more, can get them mounted on, backed by aluminum for additional rigidity.

Interesting. I did something similar.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

coldfront

not sure if I helped, but did try to fix.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on April 17, 2018, 01:05:31 PM
not sure if I helped, but did try to fix.

I can see the pics now. Thank you.
Question... how long are those bunks?

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 17, 2018, 01:20:58 PM
I can see it now also. Looks nice. ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Captsteve

I can see!, I can see!. .... looks nice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 17, 2018, 01:20:58 PM

10 feet.

company is ultimate bunkboards.
https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

if you want to go look.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on April 17, 2018, 05:37:45 PM
10 feet.

company is ultimate bunkboards.
https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

if you want to go look.
Thanks, looking at them I kind of figured those were from ultimate bunk boards. I looked into them for my boat a couple of yrs ago. Mine are 8ft. The problem with that is the shipping costs jump up dramatically when you go from 6ft to 8ft.
Yours came out great Coldfront. They are going to last you a long while.

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 17, 2018, 05:41:40 PM
Thanks, looking at them I kind of figured those were from ultimate bunk boards. I looked into them for my boat a couple of yrs ago. Mine are 8ft. The problem with that is the shipping costs jump up dramatically when you go from 6ft to 8ft.
Yours came out great Coldfront. They are going to last you a long while.

lou, i figured time, aggravation and how often I'd need to work with carpeted boards.  figure this to be pretty much a one-time deal.

yep.  shipping hurt a bit.  but I bit the bullet thinking 'one and done'
that's also why I went with the upgraded aluminum versions.

again, on top of this, key drivers for me were/are
1. slicker surface.  easier load/unload and less need for more throttle
2. reduced harborage for mussel hitchhikers.  Personally, can't believe industry is not going this way.
3. one last 'spend' and years of trouble-free bunks.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on April 17, 2018, 05:49:22 PM
lou, i figured time, aggravation and how often I'd need to work with carpeted boards.  figure this to be pretty much a one-time deal.

yep.  shipping hurt a bit.  but I bit the bullet thinking 'one and done'
that's also why I went with the upgraded aluminum versions.

again, on top of this, key drivers for me were/are
1. slicker surface.  easier load/unload and less need for more throttle
2. reduced harborage for mussel hitchhikers.  Personally, can't believe industry is not going this way.
3. one last 'spend' and years of trouble-free bunks.
Makes perfect sense. Especially if you plan on holding on to your boat for a while. Thanks for sharing this info.

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 17, 2018, 05:52:34 PM
Makes perfect sense. Especially if you plan on holding on to your boat for a while. Thanks for sharing this info.

even if I don[t hold on to it for more than a few years, it's a bit like paying it forward.

Like my family always putting a new or less than one year old set of tires on a car we sell.

BigDBasser

Hate to put a damper on the new boards, but I got some from Ultimate Bunk Boards a few years back for my Skeeter.  They'll last for ever.  Slick as snot.  Don't unhook the bow strap before you back down the ramp, especially if it's a steep ramp. 

The problem I found was the boards wore down the glass gel coat on the hull.  It wore down the gel coat all the way to the glass fiber.  Never saw it because the boat was sitting on the bunks,  Hit a stump one day and damaged the hull, the fiberglass repairman pointed it out while the boat was on the lift. My solution was to put carpet on the bunks.  Have to replace the carpet, but not the bunks. 

coldfront

Quote from: BigDBasser on April 18, 2018, 04:22:00 PM
Hate to put a damper on the new boards, but I got some from Ultimate Bunk Boards a few years back for my Skeeter.  They'll last for ever.  Slick as snot.  Don't unhook the bow strap before you back down the ramp, especially if it's a steep ramp. 

The problem I found was the boards wore down the glass gel coat on the hull.  It wore down the gel coat all the way to the glass fiber.  Never saw it because the boat was sitting on the bunks,  Hit a stump one day and damaged the hull, the fiberglass repairman pointed it out while the boat was on the lift. My solution was to put carpet on the bunks.  Have to replace the carpet, but not the bunks.

good to know.  aluminum guy here.

one more  thing:  I do imagine that the typical silt, grit in water COULD over time do a nice 'sanding job' on a glass boat hull

Capt. BassinLou

Since this thread, I have gone back and checked the company's site. They have since changed their shipping guidelines. They now ship the 8ft bunks.... hmmmm.... I may have to think about this...  ;D