What a fun day

Started by Wizard, April 18, 2018, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

I had a neighbor move next to me in January. I've only talked with him twice.  He calls late last night, says he joined some fraternal organization and they were having a dinner on Thursday. He had a couple of trout and would I smoke them for him.  A couple of trout is no problems so I said, yes. He leaves for work early and would leave them in a cooler next to my smoker. So, I go out to soak some applewood chunks and 4 coolers are sitting next to my smoker. He had 44 trout in the cooler. That's an all day job and I had to prepare them to be smoked. My smoker holds about 12 trout and takes hours if I cold smoke them. My wife said something to me about the guy's heritage and that he must be a mechanic because he was a real dip stick. Well, I gave them all a 2.5 hour heavy smoke and they are ready to go. All day, most of my applewood supply and an irritated lady.
As I finished typing the above, the door bell rang. The neighbor, with 3 friends, came for the trout. He asked if I had filleted the trout. I said no, it took all day just to smoke them. He said. "Thank You" and off he went. He didn't even offer me one of the trout. My lady gets in my face and says,"When did you turn into a wussy". Actually, she started the word with another letter. She said she couldn't believe I helped that bum. Well., I learned a lesson--at least with that guy.

Wizard

Smallie_Stalker

Your wife sounds like a hoot. Send the guy a bill for services rendered and cost of supplies.  ;) lo
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pacific NW Ron

Doesn't sound like a neighbor I want.  Sorry you got him. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 18, 2018, 05:00:19 PM
Your wife sounds like a hoot. Send the guy a bill for services rendered and cost of supplies.  ;) lo
Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on April 18, 2018, 05:51:20 PM
Doesn't sound like a neighbor I want.  Sorry you got him. 

I agree with both of y'all. I would of been wissed   ~xyz  ~roflmao ~roflmao

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Geez that's a nasty thing to pull on a neighbor!!! He could at least mow your lawn for the rest of the year or buy you a whole new supply of apple wood and several briskets. I don't think I would let your wife talk to him, at least not until you hide your 1911s.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

Quote from: Lipripper on April 18, 2018, 05:58:14 PM
I agree with both of y'all. I would of been wissed   ~xyz  ~roflmao ~roflmao

Oh Lip you didn't!  lo
Kick the poor guy while he's down. ~b~
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Captsteve

yea he can't count worth a damn.

By the way is the house on the other side of you empty...lo lo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

Lipripper

Quote from: zippyduck on April 18, 2018, 06:20:22 PM
Oh Lip you didn't!  lo
Who me never would I do a thing like that

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: zippyduck on April 18, 2018, 06:20:22 PM
Oh Lip you didn't!  lo

I was wondering if anyone else was gonna catch that.  lo
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

analfisherman

Now you must know someone who has an old beat up clunker of a car or truck.

Sunday morning get up early and pull it into his driveway.
Ring the door bell...if no answer...continue till someone answers the door. (use your foot to knock on the door, at least I would)
Then simply say, "I noticed you were a mechanic of some sort."
"Well I got this car for my wife/son/best friend/WHATEVBER and I can't seem to get it to run very good."
"I'd really be gratfull if you could possible just do a quick tune up and oil change for me...no hurry.
We're going to Church and then grabbing a bite to eat....so I won't be back till like 11:30 or 12:00 anyway."

"I'll stop over and pick it up when we get back.......by the way......howed your fish dinner go?"
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

D.W. Verts

You need to move out here in the STICKS with us. We treat folks different out here.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

coldbasser

~xyz ~xyzShocking But than again at least he didn't ask what type of "wine" goes with Trout.
I'd be smoking hot ~rant ~rant
In God we trust, but evil occurred when good men do nothing

D.W. Verts

If they were wild trout you shoulda called your MDC agent- we have "possession limits". And if he says they're not all his, we have a "separate and identifiable" law.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

Shoulda-coulda, Dale. I didn't think of that. I have a terrible temper that I try hard to keep in control. A bad thing to have in my business. I break it and things or people get broken. I've only lost my control twice since I left the service. Once was a couple of bad guys when I was out with my wife. When I went over to my wife, her eyes were wide and all she said was "Holy Chit". The guy today was a jerk but he hadn't tried to hurt me. I'll just smile and won't help him again--ever.
I consider today a sign of the slide in our values. My dad told me, "Every man should do his own work. No man should make work for another".

Wizard

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: analfisherman on April 18, 2018, 06:37:48 PM
Now you must know someone who has an old beat up clunker of a car or truck.

Sunday morning get up early and pull it into his driveway.
Ring the door bell...if no answer...continue till someone answers the door. (use your foot to knock on the door, at least I would)
Then simply say, "I noticed you were a mechanic of some sort."
"Well I got this car for my wife/son/best friend/WHATEVBER and I can't seem to get it to run very good."
"I'd really be gratfull if you could possible just do a quick tune up and oil change for me...no hurry.
We're going to Church and then grabbing a bite to eat....so I won't be back till like 11:30 or 12:00 anyway."

"I'll stop over and pick it up when we get back.......by the way......howed your fish dinner go?"
Winner!

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: D.W. Verts on April 18, 2018, 07:54:35 PM
If they were wild trout you shoulda called your MDC agent- we have "possession limits". And if he says they're not all his, we have a "separate and identifiable" law.

Yup! ~c~

I'm a right neighborly neighbor. Everyone in our rural neighborhood is. We visit, stay in touch, keep one another updated when someone is going to gone, watch one another's properties, and and often assist each other with tasks without ever being asked.

I would have called him and straight out said; "hey buddy, you said a couple trout. I can smoke a couple trout for you but I'm not catering your event".  If I couldn't reach him, I would have smoked a couple for the guy, after all that's what he asked. The rest would have still been in the cooler when he came to pick them up. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Kris

Good for you not losing your temper with a new neighbor. I am not sure I would have been as reserved about it as you were. I agree that it would be the last time I did anything more without a lengthy discussion.
I also agree with the comment from your Dad. Every man should do his own work.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

DonM

You should have smoked 'em all, took out a COUPLE for him and ate the rest!
DonM

cport

Quote from: DonM on April 19, 2018, 10:27:37 AM
You should have smoked 'em all, took out a COUPLE ...
When I read that, all I saw were those words at first. I was thinking, "Man that Don guy don't play, remind me not to wiss him off"
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣