Help me select 2 Fury rods

Started by Dangerfield, April 18, 2018, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerfield

As the title states I'm planning on purchasing 2 Dobyns rods from the Fury and/or Colt series to complete my 3 rod arsenal. I recently purchased a 7' MM AG Ike Delay rod for cranks, squares and hopefully some jerkbaits. I paired it with a Daiwa Tatula CT 5.5.1 reel, still need to spool it with either straight mono or fluoro or braid to a maxima ultra green leader.

I'm looking for 2 versatile rods that can use to cover the balance of my preferred applications. Ideally one rod is suited for jigs, which will be uncharted territory for me. I think it'll be helpful to know what I typically like to fish with:

Hard plastic swimbaits - Savage gear shine and bleak glides, spro bbz-1 shad and rat 1oz versions, 120/168 s-waver.
Hollow body frogs and prop versions.
Mepps spoons, Aglaia, black furys
Swim, casting and football jigs 3/8 - 1oz (to be purchased)
Duo Realis pencil
Grand singlet
Biovex amp jr
90/110/130 whopper plopper
Spinnerbaits
Chatterbaits
Wacky rigs

There's a local shop that's close to me that carrys most Dobyns rods, they got a big sale coming up at the end of the month so I gotta decide soon. I fish from a boat with 3 others 95% of the time, so I can't have a ton of rods on deck but I do have access to gunnels that can handle 3 rods upto 8'. For these 2 step ups, I'm looking at adding a 6.3.1 and a 7.3.1 or 8.3.1 tatula CT or Fuego reels.

In general I was thinking of a Fury 704c, 734c or 735c. But I was also considering a 6'6" rod for docks and those summer days when we go out on kayaks.

Budget comes first, I won't be spending more than the Fury price point. I've also considered the Colt series, specifically the 664/703/704/734c but I'm concerned about sensitivity because they're entry level.

Thanks in advance, eh!

Dink Dawg

That is a very broad range of baits and lure weights. They are all moving baits so the Colt series definitely comes into play. The 734 and 735 would fill the broadest range of lure weights and each has enough tip and power to meet your most of your expectations.

Smallie_Stalker

As I currently own only 1 Dobyns Fury rod I will leave this one up to the Dobyns experts here.

For what it's worth though I will say I think you are on the right track with the 4 and 5 power rods. The 4 powers seems to be a great all around rod for a variety of techniques, and the 5 power should do well for things like your frogging and even the jigs up to 1 oz.

I would ask what the weights are on the Mepps spoons, Aglias and Black Furys?

Also keep in mind that for topwater and moving baits you don't NEED the same level of sensitivity as you do with jigs or bottom contact baits. You could opt for a Colt series for these techniques and save yourself enough money to actually get yourself an extra rod out of the deal.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

You have a lot of heavy lures on that list but yet some very light ones.
Most of your moving baits even the heavy ones would work well on the Colt 705cb.
The bottom contact baits I would go with the Fury 735c.
Some of those baits will work better than others but most should work well enough.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dangerfield

Quote from: Dink Dawg on April 18, 2018, 06:12:20 PM
That is a very broad range of baits and lure weights. They are all moving baits so the Colt series definitely comes into play. The 734 and 735 would fill the broadest range of lure weights and each has enough tip and power to meet your most of your expectations.
I do need to purchase a new spinning rod which can handle most of my lighter tackle, I left it out to simplify my post lol. I guess it boils down to I need two rods, one with a single hook that based on sensitivity and the other for moving baits with treble hooks.

The mepps are from a 0-4 size, mostly 30-40 year lures from my old man. Except for the black fury and agalia which are 5s. Actually the agalia might be better suited for my cranking set up.

Dangerfield

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 18, 2018, 06:18:47 PM
As I currently own only 1 Dobyns Fury rod I will leave this one up to the Dobyns experts here.

For what it's worth though I will say I think you are on the right track with the 4 and 5 power rods. The 4 powers seems to be a great all around rod for a variety of techniques, and the 5 power should do well for things like your frogging and even the jigs up to 1 oz.

I would ask what the weights are on the Mepps spoons, Aglias and Black Furys?

Also keep in mind that for topwater and moving baits you don't NEED the same level of sensitivity as you do with jigs or bottom contact baits. You could opt for a Colt series for these techniques and save yourself enough money to actually get yourself an extra rod out of the deal.  :-*
Good point, for sensitivity sake I think I'm going to go with the Jig rod in the fury series. I'm sold on the 735C, especially for frogging/dogwalking baits,  smaller swimbaits, 110 plopper and pencil, and any of the heavy jigs. It's the 4 power rod that I'm hoping for more sensitivity.

fishandkamp

I am glad you showed up here. Guys, I met this angler on another board and promised he would get our honest help here and as always our members never let me down.  Personally, I would go for the Fury series as these rods act the most like the Champ DX series I love.  I have no problem suggesting the Fr 734C and the FR 735C as a great duo. The difference in price, between a Colt and a Fury, is only $30.  My wife always reminds me that we pay for our tackle once and enjoy it for decades!  So is saving $30 more important than the enjoyment the higher end rod will afford you?  Of course, I know my answer and for her I always know her answer!  She is worse when it comes to that monkey than me!   lo

I also encourage you to spend a little time reading other topics on here covering these rods. There are some great reviews and postings that have been made recently.   

JDV

Probably the 734 and 735 to cover most of the lures you mention,  the S-Waver 168 is a bit too much for the 735 and would be best on the 795 swimbait rod, but that won't be as versatile for your baits and wouldn't help much aside from the whopper plopper 130 too.

The megabass grand siglett at 6-7 grams (1/4 oz) is best thrown on either spinning or something much lower in power as it will absolutely not load up a 734.  734 is considered the most versatile rod, but in all honesty it's my least used rod because it does not load up great for anything under 1/2oz I find.  It can do a lot of things ok, but I've yet to find anything I like it for better than another rod, but I haven't fished spooks yet, which is what it was designed for.  Still, it will suffice for whopper plopper 90/110, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, Spro BBZ-1 shad,smaller jigs and that duo realis pencil.   The biovex amp jr you can throw on your existing crankbait rod. Frogs and jigs, and the Spro 1oz Rat on the 735.  The Mepps and small spinners spoons definitely better on light spinning tackle.  Hope that helps!

JDV

Also, I have the 734/735 in the fury series matched up with Daiwa Tatula CTs and they make a good match.  Considering that they're longer rods, they are quite well balanced.

Mike Cork

Lots of great advice here. One thing I tell budget minded folks is it's better to get a rod your happy with versus skimp to save a few dollars and not like what you bought. My point here is, if you can afford two fury rods then get them.

That said, it was mentioned that a lot of your baits are a reaction or moving bait, this means sensitivity isn't vital. Take a surface frog or whopper plopper, you don't need to feel all that well. So if I were to drop to the colt line, it would be for the rod I would fish these baits with. So the 735 in the Colt if I had too.

A 734 fury can handle a 3/4 ounce jig okay, wouldn't go much higher. But you'll appreciate the increase in sensitivity in the Fury for bottom bouncing or feel baits like the wacky rig.

You are in a conundrum that most folks trying to limit their rods run into, way too many bait options to fit into just three rods. Especially since you've dedicated one to crankbait. I'm not familiar with the Ike Delay rod, but is it possible it can handle some of your light baits? I know I wouldn't be afraid to mix in a spoons, spinnerbait, chatterbait, and light topwater with some of the Dobyns Crankbait rods. Maybe the Ike Delay can lighten the load as well.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dangerfield

JDV and Mike thanks for the input, it's really helped inform my decision making. Fishandkamp can't thank you enough for sharing this site with me. This place has a wealth of knowledge. Some of the tackle I mentioned can take a back seat this season, I'm planning on dedicating a Plano box to each rod set up and leaving the balance of my tackle at the cottage.

I think I know where I'm headed with my rods selections and my #1 goal was to get a good jig rod and purchase jigs and plastics for that set up. I'm showing my inexperience but I was casting all those lures, some successfully and some not so much, on an AB Vendetta 6'6" spinning rod until it snapped trying to net a northern. They tend to not move when you're reeling them in than go psycho when they see the boat. It was a good rod but too stiff and luckily BPS took it back.

The Ike Delay is 50% backbone and 50% wet noodle rod, I think it'll bomb the Lil John MD and Duo Crank M65 I got for it. Still looking to a Berkley Dredger, BX BRat and a few DTs to the mix. I can't believe the whippiness to that rod. As JDV mentioned, I think I can throw some of my existing tackle and the odd spinnerbait/chatterbait/spoons on it.

I like the Colt 735c suggestion but Dobyn's doesn't make one.. or do you know something I don't? :) I like the 735c for a number of reasons, I can utilize some of my favorite existing tackle (3/4-1oz Spro & SG swimbaits, frogs, whopper ploppers) and get into flipping and pitching which is foreign to me. I have no idea what a Carolina rig is but I'll have to check it out. I might go with a 8.1 Fuego for this rod to save a bit and get a Tatula SV for the jig rod or just keep it simple with the CT. Frogging on that Abu rod was a delight and tedious with a spinning reel. I really enjoy the swimbaits, so I think I'll add a 795 with a 253 Luna or Calcutta 200D over this coming winter to my arsenal. They're quite a bit more up here roughly $150 USD.

The rod in question is the 4 power, it's going to be a dedicated jig rod. I know I can probably fish some heavier jig applications on the 735c, which is a bonus. I'm a little worried about the 734c not loading up anything less than a 1/2oz. Maybe, I should consider dropping down to a 733703 to bridge the weight gap and compliment the 735.

Any thoughts on a 703/733 or 704/734 and a 735? I've never fished a Senko ~b~ maybe now is a good time to start haha

Can't thank you all enough for the insight.

Captsteve

another reel to consider is the zdiawa CT type R. I got one on Ebay for $117 they normally sell for $179. great reel

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Kris

Hiya Dangerfield,
I have five Dobyns Rods and am very happy with all my purchases. There will be more purchased as money allows but I am very happy with the ones I have.
As many have said the 734C and 735C would cover most of your heavier weight lures listed.  I have a Fury FR734C that has been my jig rod for several years now and it's great. It gets used for other presentations as needed for the places I fish. It is considered by many to be the most versatile rod in the Dobyns line up.
I also own:
FR703 SF that gets most use for finesse, dropshot and wacky worm
FR705CB used for mostly smaller squarebills, medium diving crankbaits, lipless cranks and other presentations as necessary
Champion DX736CB Glass - this is my newest and used for double deep crankbaits, chatterbaits and other crank lures.
FR765flip - my flippin stick
Take your pick from suggestions or change it up for what you feel is necessary. Contact Dobyns Rods and they will not steer you wrong. I do think they offer the most comfortable, most balanced and great sensitivity across their different Series. I buy mostly the Fury Series because I feel they are the best bang for your buck. Their warranty is another thing that sets them apart from some others I have heard about.
Good luck with your decisions. Kris
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

JDV

Quote from: Dangerfield on April 19, 2018, 01:00:35 PM

Any thoughts on a 703/733 or 704/734 and a 735? I've never fished a Senko ~b~ maybe now is a good time to start haha

703 to me is my most versatile rod.  I've got this in the Champion series, but it will perform similarly in the Fury with less sensitivity, but is great for weightless senkos (which weigh 1/4-3/8oz roughly depending on length you use from 4-5-6") or even texas rigged senkos with 1/8oz bullet weights.  I use this rod for this often, as well as 3/8 - 1/2 spinnerbaits, 1/4oz finesse jigs, 1/4oz chatterbaits, whopper plopper 90 and some other topwaters.   I love the 703, but its going to be a bit light for anything but the lightest jigs I'd say.  To me this rod really does throw its full stated lure range of 1/4-3/4oz and it's sweet spot is right in the middle and it has a really nice load up to it, but still plenty of power.  Like I said earlier, I don't really love the way the 734 loads with less than 1/2oz, but get others' opinions and don't take my thoughts on that as the end all be all, as I know others may not agree and they probably fish it more than I do too.  You certainly can cast 1/4 and 3/8 with it, but it just won't load and catapult the bait the way I like and the way I find I can cast most accurately.  Also, I tend to fish stuff a bit less powerful than others as most of my fishing is pond/bank/kayak/very small lakes, and I'm not out chasing monsters like some of these guys that are much better fishermen than me  :)

Also, I have the 795 Fury swimbait and while I've only used it 2-3 times so far, it is a great buy and great rod.  I like it for that 1-3 or 3.5oz range.   4 or 5 oz would be pushing it and you'd need an easy lob cast, but I was absolutely slinging out the 3oz spro bbz-1 12" rat!

Mike Cork

Quote from: Dangerfield on April 19, 2018, 01:00:35 PM
I like the Colt 735c suggestion but Dobyn's doesn't make one.. or do you know something I don't?

The rod in question is the 4 power, it's going to be a dedicated jig rod. I know I can probably fish some heavier jig applications on the 735c, which is a bonus. I'm a little worried about the 734c not loading up anything less than a 1/2oz. Maybe, I should consider dropping down to a 733703 to bridge the weight gap and compliment the 735.

Can't thank you all enough for the insight.

I learned something new, just assumed Gary had a 735 in the colt series. You know what assume means!!! In this case, it was just making an ass out of me...

So on to the 734. I think it will load just fine. I'd be concerned going to the 3 power with jig fishing unless you're in wide open waters and fishing open hook, non-weedguard, jigs. If you have a violent hookset, you might be able to get away with a three power when fishing jigs with weedguards. I'd stick with the 4 power in a dedicated jig rod. IMO you won't have trouble casting baits. I have several 734 C's in various models and they cast baits down to 1/4 just fine for me.

I guess to really help dial in, we need to know what kind of cover you'll be fishing. Brush, grass, boat docks, rocks...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Gary Dobyns

Wow!! THX Guys!!  As most said already the 734C and 735C will be the two best choices. These are very versatile models that cover a wide range of baits. No Colt 735C. I'm going to keep this Series small in SKU's at least for a while. The Fury Series is barn burner for us and as someone also mentioned in another post somewhere, the Champion Series is our Flagstaff Series. The Colt 734C is a great rod. Landed a 70 Lb Flat head Catfish out of Lake Fork a month or two back. The angler told me he didn't know a rod could bend like that :):).

So I'd recommend a Fury or Colt 734C. The Fury has more sensitivity but in many cases it's not needed or even wanted with reaction baits. I'd also recommend the Fury 735C. This rod is a dandy!!

THX and welcome to UB and a great crowd of helpful guys!!!

Dangerfield

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 23, 2018, 09:43:04 AM
I learned something new, just assumed Gary had a 735 in the colt series. You know what assume means!!! In this case, it was just making an ass out of me...

So on to the 734. I think it will load just fine. I'd be concerned going to the 3 power with jig fishing unless you're in wide open waters and fishing open hook, non-weedguard, jigs. If you have a violent hookset, you might be able to get away with a three power when fishing jigs with weedguards. I'd stick with the 4 power in a dedicated jig rod. IMO you won't have trouble casting baits. I have several 734 C's in various models and they cast baits down to 1/4 just fine for me.

I guess to really help dial in, we need to know what kind of cover you'll be fishing. Brush, grass, boat docks, rocks...

All good Mike  ;D

I'm thinking a 3 power might be better suited for a spinning outfit. I mainly fish Deep Bay in GBay, which I recognize is a huge body of water. The water is iron stained which makes visibility a challenge even when the water is calm. We deal with a fair bit of cover, coontails, milfoil, muskgrass, timber and lily pads.

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on April 23, 2018, 12:59:49 PM
Wow!! THX Guys!!  As most said already the 734C and 735C will be the two best choices. These are very versatile models that cover a wide range of baits. No Colt 735C. I'm going to keep this Series small in SKU's at least for a while. The Fury Series is barn burner for us and as someone also mentioned in another post somewhere, the Champion Series is our Flagstaff Series. The Colt 734C is a great rod. Landed a 70 Lb Flat head Catfish out of Lake Fork a month or two back. The angler told me he didn't know a rod could bend like that :):).

So I'd recommend a Fury or Colt 734C. The Fury has more sensitivity but in many cases it's not needed or even wanted with reaction baits. I'd also recommend the Fury 735C. This rod is a dandy!!

THX and welcome to UB and a great crowd of helpful guys!!!

Mr. Dobyns', I'm honored. I think that sums it up nicely  ~c~ I've been watching a ton of YT videos, and Matt Allen of Tactical Bassin' introduced me to your rods and has taught me a TON.
Thanks for your time and insight, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 735c. I get the best of both worlds, I can use some of my existing tackle and start honing in on some other tactics I have yet to try like jigs, c-rigs and pitching. The 734c will be next one deck, I'm going save up for a Champion series. Thanks again!

Gary Dobyns

THX buddy!!!  Remember if buying a Champion 734C it's so popular we offer in both Split and Full handle designs. So get the one you prefer best. THX Again!!

Dangerfield

So the sale came and went yesterday. I think it was a huge success for the tackle shop, they brought in some local pros, acct. reps and owners to assist with the sale. I got to the Dobyns rack.. no 735.. no 734.. just a 704 which i snatched up just in case. I asked the sales staff if they had a 735, turns out someone was buying the last one when I went to the rack and backed out on purchasing it.  ;D he plastic wrap still on the cork and nothing crooked or off center. I got home, yanked the reel off my cranking rod, tied on a hollow body frog, ran down to the nearest pond and started casting. What a BEA-U-TI-FUL set up, no problem casting a 1/2oz frog 40 yards in the wind. Just incredible, the cork was nice, the blank has a nice high quality textured to it and the guides were perfect. The metallic blank on the tatula ct compliments it perfectly. Backlashed a few times trying to skip it into a tight spot, a little more time with it and I'll get the feeling down pat.

I grabbed a couple of jigs, I won't plug the brand but they're the only brand that produce a jig with a free-swing hooks. I got 1 jig with a skirt (black/blue), 1 football jig with a skirt (bluegill) and a buzzbait with an all black skirt. I grabbed a couple of keitech 3.8, missile d bombs and netbait paca craw trailers as well.

Big thanks to you all for helping me zero in, I definitely want to get the 703 spinning set up and a 734 for pure jigging duties. Time to start learning out to pitch a jig in the backyard.  ~cf

smithy97

Glad you scored your 735! Up here in Ontario there aren't a ton of Dobyn's dealers eh? I haven't pulled the trigger on my first Dobyns yet, but it's just a matter of time. I'm saving for a Champion 735. Congrats on the new rods!

Dangerfield

Quote from: smithy97 on April 30, 2018, 09:04:31 AM
Glad you scored your 735! Up here in Ontario there aren't a ton of Dobyn's dealers eh? I haven't pulled the trigger on my first Dobyns yet, but it's just a matter of time. I'm saving for a Champion 735. Congrats on the new rods!

There's 2, one in Scarborough and I'm pretty sure the other in Peterborough. I'm thinking about opening up my own shop some day, they'll be at the top of rod manufactures.

smithy97

Down here Sarnia way the nearest one is in Wallaceburg, and I don't think they carry anything over the Fury line. If you open your own I'll be there!

Dangerfield

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a reel for my 735c but I did take my Tat off my cranking set up and started practicing to pitch in the back yard with a plastic cup. Over the last week, I'm feeling more dialed in, my accuracy isn't perfect but it's getting there. For a lack of better words, I was trying to power pitch also, basically I let out more line than required, pitched and pulled the slack with my index finger over and over again. It worked to some success but I think I need to stick with the methodical approach.

Bait monkey got me, and I order all the jigs I'll ever need off TW. Here's what I go:

1/4oz Dirty Jigs Matt Alllen swimbait heads, 1/4oz DJ Finesse Swimjig (Crappie), 3/8oz DJ Swimjig (Pearl Ghost Shiner and Pumpkin seed Bream), 1/2oz DJ Cali Swim Jig (Tactical Trout and Warmouth), 5/8oz DJ Tour Level Pitching Jig (Black Blue Purple)

Which I'll pair up with:

Biospawn 4" Exoswim (Pro Blue Red), Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver (Main Vein), Missile Baits D Bomb (Candy Grass), Netbait Paca Craw (Okeechobee Craw) and Keitech Swing Impact Fat 3.8 (white and white/flash)

Dangerfield

Finally got out on the water this weekend, bass isn't open till next month but I caught a 4lb smallie in my new Fury 735/Daiwa Fuego rig. It tamed it quickly even with a few topwater blows.