West Broward Peacock Bass Trip

Started by Capt. BassinLou, April 21, 2018, 05:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

A good friend of mine that I haven't fished with in a long while asked me to go Peacock bass fishing out in West Broward with him. He's an avid Peacock bass chaser so passing up the chance wasn't going to happen. :) The game plan was to fish live and artificial baits from the bank at several of his productive spots.
We started fishing at 8am and jumped from location to location, wrapping up at around 4pm. All in all we had blast!! Ending up catching 13-14 peacocks, and 3 bass.

BrandonK

Awesome! A peacock trip is on the bucket list

SFL BassHunter

Thanks for the report, looks like a fun day those are some big peas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Yeah... they had some muscles to them that's for sure. The acrobatics and strong runs were amazing and fun!!

Captsteve

beautiful

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

LgMouthGambler

Looks like yall did pretty good. Very nice fish.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

HTTR

Do you have to target these fish differently from the way you would a large mouth?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: HTTR on April 21, 2018, 07:07:24 PM
Do you have to target these fish differently from the way you would a large mouth?

Yes, a little bit. You have to move the baits faster and a little erratic to illicit a strike.

Lipripper

Them are some nice great looking Peacock Bass y'all caught Lou and looks like y'all had a great day. ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

I have found that almost immediately upon setting the hook you know its not a largemouth.  These are fish on steroids for their size, and they do some amazing things while the fight is on.  Even when landed they are still ready to explode!  Can you imagine hooking a 25Lb. South American variety!  Congrats to both of you on some beautiful fish. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

RangerAndBass

Good job guys. This is a great time of year because of them.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

FlatsNBay

Deadeye

Looks like a good time to me, some very nice fish caught.

Lots of folks pay a ton of money to catch Pea's like that. You'all are blessed with the fishing opportunities that SFL offers.

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks guys!! It was a fun trip that's for sure. Since I don't chase Pea's specifically, it was fun to change gears, and forget about bass fishing. I know we have Peacocks in my neck woods, but I didn't know this part of the county had such a concentrated volume of Pea's, it was ridiculous!! Peacock's were everywhere!! The crazy part is that peacock fishing is only going to get better as Summer approaches. :shocking: :shocking:

The highlight of the day:

As we were walking the bank at one of the locations, we saw a pair of Pea's very shallow. For the first time in my fishing experience, I witnessed a fish posturing up to me!! The fish swam up within feet of me, and postured up. Gills Flared, aggressive looking and all because we happen to walk with in its area.  :o :o  That fish happened to be the biggest fish of the day.  lo

Capt. BassinLou

I was just sent the final short video piece that my friend uploaded to his Youtube channel of our outing. Pretty Cool check it out!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPZ5JeJTdpE

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Deadeye on April 22, 2018, 06:40:11 AM
Looks like a good time to me, some very nice fish caught.

Lots of folks pay a ton of money to catch Pea's like that. You'all are blessed with the fishing opportunities that SFL offers.
Yeah, blessed with the fishing. The people on the other hand.........lol.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 22, 2018, 08:08:20 AM
I was just sent the final short video piece that my friend uploaded to his Youtube channel of our outing. Pretty Cool check it out!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPZ5JeJTdpE

Nice video
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Nice video Lou and you can tell you were having a blast.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

SteveTX

Deadeye

Cool Video Lou.

Those places that look like the bottom is sand poc-marked with grass plantings, is that what it is?

Capt. BassinLou

Fred, those poc-marked places are found along many of our canals around the culverts. Its like a cement, and over time sediment accumulates in the pockets and you will have some grass growing out of them. I don't know what's the purpose of these, but they are very common down here.

Wolf_man

Very pretty colors. Congrats on those catches.

big g

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 23, 2018, 11:41:43 AM
Fred, those poc-marked places are found along many of our canals around the culverts. Its like a cement, and over time sediment accumulates in the pockets and you will have some grass growing out of them. I don't know what's the purpose of these, but they are very common down here.

The purpose of the culverts is to connect all these bodies of water with the drainage system.  When the heavy rains comes they lower all these bodies of water at the same time by turning on the big pumps.  Water goes to the ocean or the everglades instead of in everyone's homes.  Without the culverts, communities all over south Florida would have seasonal flooding frequently.  It is quite a system.  All aquatic organizes move through these pipes including gators.  When its hot they will sometimes sit in the big pipes and cool off.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on April 23, 2018, 12:26:36 PM
The purpose of the culverts is to connect all these bodies of water with the drainage system.  When the heavy rains comes they lower all these bodies of water at the same time by turning on the big pumps.  Water goes to the ocean or the everglades instead of in everyone's homes.  Without the culverts, communities all over south Florida would have seasonal flooding frequently.  It is quite a system.  All aquatic organizes move through these pipes including gators.  When its hot they will often sit in the big pipes and cool off.
George, Fred is commenting about a specific structure found along many of our culverts. Not the purpose of a culvert.