Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Fishing Whalon Lake 2018  (Read 638 times)

Lipripper

• Chicago Illinois
Bass Fishing Whalon Lake 2018
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »

Bass Fishing Whalon Lake this morning was a little tuff. The air temperature was around 50* with a 15 MPH wind blowing out of the NE which made it feel like around 46* with the wind blowing across the cold water. I had stopped by another spot first thing this morning but after fishing it for about an hour without getting any bites even on my UL set up using a Night Crawler. I throw a wacky rigged senko for about 20 minutes and never even got a nibble so I cut the wacky rig hook off and tied on a 4/0 EWG worm hook and fished it Texas rigged and still no bites. The next thing I tried was a black and blue short armed spinner bait with a crawl trailer after throwing that foe about 20 minutes without a hit I picked up my UL and rigged with a #6 hook and a small split shot weight to be able to get it out in the wind and put on a big fat Night Crawler and after repeating this process in four different spot without a bite I gave up on that retention pond and headed back to the van and made the 15 minute drive over to Whalon Lake. The wind was still blowing and on that lake there's no place to get out of it. I made the hike about 100 yards carrying my two rods and my Tackle bag and my lawn chair so I could set down to get off my numb feet and sore legs. I went down the steep hill to the beat bank spot on the lake where I had caught lots of Bass in the past. I started the process allover again with the same results. I threw a spinner bait no bites. I threw a wacky rigged senko no bites. I threw a Texas rigged senko still no bites. So after all that I rigged my UL up with a Night Crawler and small split shot weights and cast it into that 15 MPH wind and I could only cast it about 20 yard with them small weights but you can't fish in that spot with much weights because of all the rocks down there. So anyway after about 10 minutes I felt something I haven't felt in a long time tap.. tap something hit my Night Crawler. This brought back memories from two years ago when I fished this spot the last time. I set the hook an dis sure felt good to feel a fish on my UL again. I fought it for only a couple of minutes and then as I got it close to the shore it tried to make a run back out to the deeper water but that new 8 LB Sufix mono held it and I pulled it on to the bank.  ~sweat All I could think of at that second was that the skunk for the year is over. I know it can't be used in the IBASS but I don't care it just felt good to feel a fish on my line again.
That was the only bite I got so after abut 2 hours I packed it up and made the tiring climb up that steep hill and back to the car. I might try to make another trip back to Whalon Lake again before I head south to Lake Shelbyville in about a week and a half for my three week Crappie/Bass fidhing trip. So the for 2018 is gone now and it feels great. ;D
Here is a picture of the one Bass that wanted his picture taken and the best bank spot on the lake. It's not a monster but I will take it.   ;D

Only about 15" but I will take it.
I had to practice on taking pictures for the IBASS when I catch some on a lure.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Lipripper

• Chicago Illinois
Re: Bass Fishing Whalon Lake 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:20 PM »

Oh and I made a new friend while I was there and invited him to stop by and check us out and he said he would. I hope he does but we will see. ;D

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »

Thanks for the excellent report Lip and congrats!!!  ~c~

Please send some of that Skunk-Be-Gone my way. I'm still looking for my first fish of 2018. Temps in the 60's most all this week so I'm gonna give it the old college try at some point. I hope.   :surrender:
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

Lipripper

• Chicago Illinois
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »

Thanks for the excellent report Lip and congrats!!!  ~c~

Please send some of that Skunk-Be-Gone my way. I'm still looking for my first fish of 2018. Temps in the 60's most all this week so I'm gonna give it the old college try at some point. I hope.   :surrender:

The fish around here didn't want it to bad either. Maybe if it wasn't so windy them might have been more active. also that spot you can't see it but there's a drain under the water there that pumps out into a little river on the other side of the hill and it's always better when the water is flowing through there but it wasn't today. You know they don't want to bite if they won't eat a whole live Night Crawler or a GY Senko they just don't want to bite right now.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »

~beer~
Lip I am so happy for you my friend! I really am glad that you caught yourself the first fish of the year. Now you can forget about the skunk and just go out there and have fun catching fish. Hey if they don't want to play on artificial take the nigthcrawlers out there, or even some shiners and get you some fish.

Thanks for the report!

I might need some of that Skunk-Be-Gone too...
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

• Chicago Illinois
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 07:41:10 PM »

~beer~
Lip I am so happy for you my friend! I really am glad that you caught yourself the first fish of the year. Now you can forget about the skunk and just go out there and have fun catching fish. Hey if they don't want to play on artificial take the nigthcrawlers out there, or even some shiners and get you some fish.

Thanks for the report!

I might need some of that Skunk-Be-Gone too...
Thanks Rick and you have been doing pretty good down there so far. Now get busy the rest of the month and hang on to that AOY  ;D

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »

Way to go Lip and a nice fish to start the year off.  Thanks for sharing the very detailed report too.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »

Thanks Rick and you have been doing pretty good down there so far. Now get busy the rest of the month and hang on to that AOY  ;D
Had to take a 2 week hiatus, unfortunately. This year hasn't really gone all that well for me so far. For 1, I haven't been out fishing as much as I normally do. But that's life.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »

~c~ ... Alright Lip...for the first time ever, I can tell you, thank you for sharing your report with us. I'm happy you got to go outside and fish!! Nice catch btw.  ;)

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • Ultimate Bass Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:04:17 PM »

Lip congrats on the catching and tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax

Lipripper

• Chicago Illinois
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »

Had to take a 2 week hiatus, unfortunately. This year hasn't really gone all that well for me so far. For 1, I haven't been out fishing as much as I normally do. But that's life.
You have had a lot to deal with lately it will get better. All we can do is deal with what life throws at us and then move on.

~c~ ... Alright Lip...for the first time ever, I can tell you, thank you for sharing your report with us. I'm happy you got to go outside and fish!! Nice catch btw.  ;)
You got that right and if the weather holds before I leave next Tuesday before the crack of dawn to go on my Crappie/Bass fishing trip I'm going to try and sneak out there again.  ;D

Thanks Donald.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 25 queries.