Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pattern died. Now what?  (Read 404 times)

zippyduck

• Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Pattern died. Now what?
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:38:20 PM »

You prefished Friday for a Sunday tourney. You found fish in 4-6 fow and they were crushing chartreuse spinnerbaits in sunny areas.

You show up Sunday and the pattern holds up for one hour and clouds move in and shut it down.

NOW WHAT?

Well you were catching them till the sun went bye-bye so they are still in the area.
So answer a few questions and you should still catch a few of them.
Did they move deep or shallow?
Are they roaming now or tight to cover?
And are they looking up or down?

Answer these with a few well placed casts and graph study and soon a new pattern will unfold.
The casts should consist of a few moving baits and a few bottom contact baits.

I know Jim why didn't we do this at SML.  ~b~
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Re: Pattern died. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »

Wow. Loaded stuff here. What time of year and water temp? Where were the fish to begin with? Pockets, coves, channel banks/swings/flats? Back of the creek? 'Cuz NORMALLY you're talking a slight scattering of the fish to shallow water. Unless the shad led them to the middle of the creek. Did the wind pick up? What's the water color? Any UFO activity in the area?

Oops.

I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

BrandonK

• Smallmouth
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:25:26 AM »

Following this one. I have my opinions, but they usually prove me to be incorrect, so Iíll sit back and try to do some learnin today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acwatkins

• Smallmouth
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 06:43:10 AM »

Iím interested in the responses here. Iíve often had days where a pattern is strong until the weather changes and then I canít seem to adjust properly. Iíll have my notebook out for this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »

How bass set up on structure or cover is determined by water clarity, sun angle and forage. When cloud cover appears and the bite stops, it is because the forage has moved. The forage should move shallower and will spread out. If the clouds were caused by a front, the bass the go deeper and more of a school. Water clarity and sun angle also determine what happens with forage. These are general rules that will help determine where the forage can be found. A pattern will hold only as long as conditions remain the same.
Dale, if you were at Truman Lake, those weren't UFO. They were A-10 Warthog making practice runs on your boat. One cheeky pilot played with me for awhile. On his last run on my boat, he flew 40 ft.over the water, inverted, and saluted me as he passed upside down.

Wizard

zippyduck

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »

I knew I could count on the Wiz for a great explanation.  ~c~

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »

Hogs shoot at me all the time. The pilots have TOLD me- they use me for practice. Glad we're on the same side.The B-2's are frequent fliers here, too.

Back to the subject... but this subject is just so friggin' DEEP. And we've had a couple of folks say they want to learn something, so we need to get it right.

My point about the shad takin' the fish to the middle of the creek was echoed by the Wizard. Probably 80-90% of the time a pattern flops and fish disappear is because the FORAGE disappeared. The second reason is the cold front/high pressure deal (which also makes the forage leave, so there- you see my quandary?). Water level and current changes suck too.

Everything there is to know about finding bass is based on the four seasons... Understand what the fish need and where they need to live in each season, and you'll be well on your way to staying on 'em.

Here's my secret. Remember, it's an oversimplification, but that's what makes it work. My secret to STARTING to find bass (and then staying ON them when they get stupid and leave, see how this all works together?) is this-

Summer and Fall fish are on "flat" banks, and Winter and Spring fish are on the "steep" banks. There ya go. You can leave now if that is not enough for you. Or you can think about it... There are fish that live on bluffs year 'round. There are fish that barely ever come to the banks. There are fish that live under the same dock back in a cove all the time. There are Homers, and there are Roamers. Pattern fish are Roamers (except where they fit in with the Homers- does your head hurt yet?).

But we're talkin' PATTERN FISHING here, and that would require a whole series of articles that I'm not sure I'm qualified to write...

So anyway... We've lost our Chartreuse spinnerbait fish in 4-6' of water. It got cloudy, so that probably means pre-frontal conditions, and with the depth of the water the fish were in to start with I'd say that means TRANSITIONAL Fall or Spring conditions... Since it's a pre-frontal situation, and that would be a GOOD thing, if it was me I would go shallower. I'd get back into the pockets nearest the area I was in (Spring), and probably more to the backs of the creeks if it was Fall. And if the wind is blowin', well, let it blow you to the fish.

And I'd find those damn baitfish if I could.

And before ya'll go off on me about my yearly location rule from above please note that-

A. I'm a Highland reservoir fishermen. This stuff don't go down in the swamps, and lakes that are shaped like bowls, or rivers as much. Mostly...

B. Spring bass on "steep" banks holds true until the spawn, but even there many fish spawn very near those 45 degree banks. And I'll guaranTEE that's where the big girls like it.

C. Spring again- getting onto those early warming mud flats is a killer deal (the BASS Masters Classic at Grand Lake a few years ago is a prime example), but the "steep" or creek channel stuff is ALWAYS nearby. In the Fall this isn't so. Sometimes they get their backs out of the water in the fall...

D. Summer, "flat" banks doesn't work for you? Well, I didn't say SHALLOW "flat" banks. If I had a choice between a bluff point and 25' deep fish, or a long, slow-tapering point and 25' deep fish, for the PATTERN I'm goin' with the "flat" point, every time.

I hope all of this makes sense. The POINT is (I'm startin' to go lonngg  like our buddy Anal, God Bless him) is this-

TO FIND FISH, AND ESPECIALLY FISH THAT HAVE DISAPPEARED, you have to have a starting point. You have to have a workable strategy that you can put in play TWELVE MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR, and one that works WHEREVER YOU GO. Or else, you're just pissin' in the wind, waitin' for the Fish gods to bring you some luck.

And there ain't no such thing as luck when it comes to findin' fish consistently, and stayin' on 'em when everything goes to CRAP.

I need to shut up now. Peace.

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »

Oh yeah- GREAT TOPIC ZIPPY!

zippyduck

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »

The detail in your condensed version is going to help out a lot of people. I'll be looking for the book when you get done with it.

Thank you Dale!  ~c~ :toot:

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »

No. I think I'll shut up for awhile. It IS possible.

BrandonK

• Smallmouth
Pattern died. Now what?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »

Lots of great info here and itís appreciated.

My biggest problem is trusting my electronics. Mostly because when i mark bait balls and what I think are bass I canít catch squat, and that has shaken my confidence. My offshore game is garbage. Makes it difficult to develop a pattern

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »

Lots of great info here and itís appreciated.

My biggest problem is trusting my electronics. Mostly because when i mark bait balls and what I think are bass I canít catch squat, and that has shaken my confidence. My offshore game is garbage. Makes it difficult to develop a pattern

And here I am again. Sad...

Brandon, abandon the electronics and go with the pattern, first. The electronics stuff will come and it'll enhance your fishin'. But get out there, find a ledge, hump or whatever, and fish it. Then fish some more of them. After you catch some fish, THEN go back over it wit your graph and paint a picture you can understand, based on what you just caught.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 11:25:17 PM »

Maybe a dumb question, but when those clouds roll in, does that chartreuse blade spinnerbait look different to those bass? Did they move, or just become disinterested in the bait? The reason I ask is Barry and I didn't move from a spot at Kissimmee for two hours, crushing them with flukes. When a cloud bank covered the sun (and they were large clouds obscuring the sun for 5-10 minutes at times) the bite immediately shut off. As soon as Mr. Sol poked out, the bite was back on. Would changing colors or baits and fishing the same area have any results in this scenario?
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

zippyduck

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 01:12:01 AM »

Cport,

It can but in this case it didn't help. We threw the tackle box and found that smallies moved in and the largies either  weren't hitting or left.

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 08:37:07 AM »

You can read about fishing but you have to put it into practice to truly understand it. How to catch a bass is limited only by your imagination.

Wizard

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »

We were working with several things that set up our first pattern and the only constant was the wind. Our chartreuse crankbait and and spinner bite was coming on the wind beaten shoreline in water that was heavily stained from the agitation.

Looking at the weather history ( a roller coaster) for the three days we fished, I can see our pattern in the barometric pressure.

That Sunday fish came on a 7" T-rigged Kutail. That may have been a clue although a bit late. We needed that second pattern.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:29:22 AM by Princeton_Man »
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »

In the spring I tend to go shallow, to docks mostly and work around them and up to 20 or so feet away from them when clouds come, in fall I go to deep grass and the later in the fall season that means deeper, follow the green which is living grass. I'm waiting to hear more, mostly about natural lakes.
I was fishing a tournament on Conesus Lake one fall while the Genesee Valley Historical Warplane group was having a show, Blue Angels, vintage warplanes all that. Early in the morning a P-47 came over the lake and dove into a high speed strafing run, it was the banshee scream and roar from hell, must've woke up everybody living on the lake. That was a great airshow, too bad it's not done any more.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.