Caddo Lake 4/29/18

Started by DonM, April 29, 2018, 09:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

Got there about 4 p.m. and fished til nearly dark.  Caught a whole lot of slot fish, mostly 14 to 18 inches.  One under, 13.5 inches.   Had  a lot more bites.  Lost one over at the boat.
Mostly used Black/Blue Beavers.  Water temp 71, air temp about 90.  Wind from the East, prime time was Noon and Midnight!  :)
Everything was shallow.  Bounce the bait off the cypress tree and let it fall.
I hate the slot limit.  I want some FRYIN' fish.
DonM

Mike Cork

Them slot fish are fun to catch though :-* Thanks for the report. You're doing much better than I. I did manage three overs last week but spent all weekend on Cross this time. Should have been with you.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

DonM

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now for the rest of the story".
As usual, we were fishing in an area thick with cypress trees.  I was negotiating the next tight turn and fishing at the same time.  Got my bait hung in one of those wiry green branches that don't break. 
My fishing partner Larry knows I am still sort of feeble so he got up to retrieve it while I managed the boat.  He pulled and stretched until he got within a few inches of the little branch.  60 pound braid wasn't going to break and neither was the branch.
I have a crowbar on board my boat at all times (another story).  He WAS able to reach that and extended it to the branch and ripped it from the tree.  Only thing the recoil sent the crowbar backward into my left windshield.  It broke right in the middle of my Ultimate Bass Charter Member sticker!  :)
We were lucky no one was hurt actually because the jagged edge sticking up could kill a person if he fell on it.
I called ProGator this morning and they are looking in their inventory for windshields.  Might as well get both since they were getting hard to see through anyway.
They are $125. each and my insurance deductible is $250.  :( 
Just another day on the water.  At least we caught fish!
DonM

zippyduck

Congrats on the catching.  ~c~ The windshield thing is a new one. :o
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

Don, you need to be careful. Baits are not worth that much.

Cork's Reel Service

DonM

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 30, 2018, 03:59:51 PM
Don, you need to be careful. Baits are not worth that much.

Would you believe I caught seven fish on that one Beaver?  Would you believe six?  :)
DonM

Mike Cork

Quote from: DonM on April 30, 2018, 04:13:02 PM
Would you believe I caught seven fish on that one Beaver?  Would you believe six?  :)

I'm a fisherman I'll believe anything told by another fisherman :-*

Cork's Reel Service

DonM

Actually lost count because they were almost all slot fish.  I wish they would remove the slot! 
DonM

zippyduck

Heck no on removing the slot. That is what has made a lot of lakes famous for big fish. It is a great conservation tool.

Hawgwild

Was out with a friend Thursday...3 fish in the boat....all slots...Really think it is time to change things when everyone is catching nothing but slots...

crankbandit

If your out there for fun, it really doesn't matter what size. If your in a tournament it gets aggravating. If your fishing to eat, then the slot is set up so that you take the 12- 14 inch fish home.

Dallas

If folks are Fishing to Eat fish, (my opinion) they are way Cheaper in restaurants plus No cleaning, cooking & considering the cost of fuel, oil, lures, etc you save lots of $$$$.  Having said all that, I support those that take some of their catch home to Eat. I always enjoyed the invitation to eat fresh Fish with No work involved from me.  lol ~fff ~fff ~fff

DonM

I like to catch all sizes and big ones are fun for sure.  However I love to eat fish and would prefer to take a few home.  Under the slot are fine, but I seldom catch any at Caddo.  If I catch overs I usually take their picture and throw 'em back.
I understand there are two schools of thought on keeping fish. 
They took the slot off Caddo and Cypress Black Bayou a year or so ago and I can't see that it is hurting anything at all. 
I no longer fish tournaments, but I would think weighing in the slot fish would certainly make it more interesting for more people. 
As far as taking home fish to eat, it's hard for me to believe that with the overall limit any damage would be done to the population.  A lot of people wouldn't keep them anyway, and a lot of the time I wouldn't, but I want to be able to if I wish.
I'll be going to Hosston today just in case I catch something!  :)
DonM

Hawgwild

When I do go to the lake...any lake... I keep some fish for the fryer. Just more satisfying to fry my own catch than buying a mess. It's not a money issue.  As to bass on slot lakes, yep I'll keep the under's and some of the overs up to around 3.5 pounds but like most let the rest go..Don't think I've ever kept a bass over 4 pounds even years before I started tournament fishing unless it was gut hooked and might not make it...

I really love Caddo lake but unless in a tournament I go elsewhere for the majority of my bass fishing....like Toledo Bend in the morning   :)

Marty

DonM, I believe Caddo still has a 14-18 slot on largemouth bass. Per the 2018 LDWF regulations.

DonM

Quote from: DonM on May 06, 2018, 11:57:14 AM
I like to catch all sizes and big ones are fun for sure.  However I love to eat fish and would prefer to take a few home.  Under the slot are fine, but I seldom catch any at Caddo.  If I catch overs I usually take their picture and throw 'em back.
I understand there are two schools of thought on keeping fish. 
They took the slot off Cross and Cypress Black Bayou a year or so ago and I can't see that it is hurting anything at all. 
I no longer fish tournaments, but I would think weighing in the slot fish would certainly make it more interesting for more people. 
As far as taking home fish to eat, it's hard for me to believe that with the overall limit any damage would be done to the population.  A lot of people wouldn't keep them anyway, and a lot of the time I wouldn't, but I want to be able to if I wish.
I'll be going to Hosston today just in case I catch something!  :)
DonM

DonM

Quote from: Marty on May 09, 2018, 10:02:26 AM
DonM, I believe Caddo still has a 14-18 slot on largemouth bass. Per the 2018 LDWF regulations.

Yes Marty, I meant to they lifted it on Cross and BBB.  And I guess my fingers were in the wrong place when I said 14 to 17.  I have corrected my posts,  Thank you for catching my mistakes!
DonM

Jc1558

Nobody is going to hurt the bass population by taking a mess of those good eating size home. I understand the real good ones. But those unders they fixing to stank some grease up.  ~beer~

Pacific NW Ron

Personally I support slot limits.  I release almost all bass unless they are hooked bad and bleeding pretty bad.  I think slot limits improve the fishing. 
Bass regulations here in WA. is one species that amazingly is set every year when the rules are set and very seldom if ever changes unlike many other species that seem to change almost daily.   There are very few people that keep any bass and the number of anglers fishing for bass is much less than many other species but getting more and more popular every year.  They say the average size of a largemouth bass in WA. is 12"-15", however a 20" bass is getting much more common.
Here are this year's general Washington State bass fishing regulations:
No min. size. Only Largemouth Bass less than 12" may be retained, except 1 over 17" may be retained. Daily limit 5. Bass may be caught, retained, and released alive from a live well until a daily limit is in possession.
Note:  Please check the specific lake regulations.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

zippyduck

Ron,
I wish other states had regulations like Washington. Those are tournament, fun, and eating fishing friendly.