transom saver advice

Started by 2112BCS, April 30, 2018, 06:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2112BCS

looking for advice on a transom saver and how to go about keeping my evinrude 225 from flopping all over while towing her down the road. i see the old styles new styles all with mixed reviews just like to buy once and be done without breaking the bank and my motor. thanks

Princeton_Man

I use the Attwood HD transom saver for my Etec instead of the fold-down on the motor for the same reason you mention. I've never been able to understand how that fold-down thing prevents transom damage anyhow.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

When I bought my new trailer, I needed a saver that had a longer reach.  Since my trailer is also a heavy duty trailer I decided to buy a VE-VE INC.  Unit.

These things are heavy duty and just about the best I have ever seen.  You should look them up on the web and have a look.  I had to buy a model TS-82 due to my length requirement but they have many other sizes.  These are hand made in the USA and are a real quality product.  Check them out.

Polaris425

I've used both styles, and prefer the motor mate.

There are some who like to bash them (you know, keyboard engineers and physicists)

It's a great product. And my motor NEVER moved or rocked or bounced. Unlike when I had the old style that attached to the trailer. It moved all over the place.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Bud Kennedy

I think the Motor Mate is a good product.  Have researched this sort of thing many times and the opinions are so widely varied it is confusing at times.  I also found that on the older Ranger boats that Ranger strongly recommends a saver that attaches to the trailer and the motor.

2112BCS

thanks guys for the advice went with the my wedge along with the transom lock  looks like a compromise between the traditional and the newer styles.