Southern Illinois catfish report

Started by Justin62882, April 01, 2018, 07:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin62882

Well, I been busy working until recent flooding has kept me from the fields  and have had a few gaps between the crappy spring weather so far to do a few bass fishing trips for a few hours and have only managed to catch 4. So as a multi species fisherman who would rather be catching fish rather than working for a fish I decided with all the rain and water in about the mid 40s the catfish should be biting. Grabbed some shad gut and worms since recent flooding and headed down to rend lake to catfish. Ended up with 10 channel catfish, a drum, and my grandpa caught his first carp on a worm. 2 and half hours of fishing. They really wanted worms but we ran out. Alot of little catfish or drum was picking our lines not sure. Talking snow tonight lol.. figures.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Fishing Is not an escape  from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

Lipripper

Thanks for the report and you got some nice size eating catfish. Not much better with flood waters and muddy water then shad guts and worms.  ;D Only one Carp them are fun to catch.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Justin62882

Perfect size. 13-17 inches. Ate them last night with cole slaw and mac n cheese lol. I thought he had a good catfish on until I seen it. He was happy so I was happy lol. Was a real healthy carp. Talked to a few crappie fisherman they werent havjng any luck. Prolly the stained cold water post front. We get this weather to turn I'll be out getting some slabs I cant wait. When you going to shelbyville?

Lipripper

Quote from: Justin62882 on April 01, 2018, 08:18:34 AM
Perfect size. 13-17 inches. Ate them last night with cole slaw and mac n cheese lol. I thought he had a good catfish on until I seen it. He was happy so I was happy lol. Was a real healthy carp. Talked to a few crappie fisherman they werent havjng any luck. Prolly the stained cold water post front. We get this weather to turn I'll be out getting some slabs I cant wait. When you going to shelbyville?
In about 3 weeks. Either the last week of this month or the first week of May. Sooner if John calls and tells me to load em up cause the fish are going crazy. That;s the good thing about being retired.  ;D

Justin62882

Haha definitely. Id say we need 3 weeks at least depending on weather but once good weather hits it will be on. Jus hope we all get a few weeks of solid good spring weather

Lipripper

Quote from: Justin62882 on April 01, 2018, 10:11:23 AM
Haha definitely. Id say we need 3 weeks at least depending on weather but once good weather hits it will be on. Jus hope we all get a few weeks of solid good spring weather
I hope it's not as wet as it was last spring an dI had to cut my spring trip short and couldn't get back down there till the water went down and it was hot out side.  ~xyz

SteelHorseCowboy

I'm hoping to do some cat fishing today. They've been hitting hard at the spillway.

Justin62882

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 01, 2018, 11:57:31 AM
I'm hoping to do some cat fishing today. They've been hitting hard at the spillway.
Take some  ;PHO) of them Louisiana catfish.  ;D

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Justin62882 on April 01, 2018, 07:35:26 AM
Well, I been busy working until recent flooding has kept me from the fields  and have had a few gaps between the crappy spring weather so far to do a few bass fishing trips for a few hours and have only managed to catch 4. So as a multi species fisherman who would rather be catching fish rather than working for a fish I decided with all the rain and water in about the mid 40s the catfish should be biting. Grabbed some shad gut and worms since recent flooding and headed down to rend lake to catfish. Ended up with 10 channel catfish, a drum, and my grandpa caught his first carp on a worm. 2 and half hours of fishing. They really wanted worms but we ran out. Alot of little catfish or drum was picking our lines not sure. Talking snow tonight lol.. figures.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Congrats to both you guys on a successful outing. ~c~

Love me some fried catfish.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Justin62882

Thanks Smallie was a good day especially for march

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Justin62882 on April 01, 2018, 12:56:24 PM
Good luck which spillway
Lake Darbonne spillway near Farmerville LA. That's where I'd planned to go, went to the river bank instead since I wasn't feeling great and it's only a mile from home vs 20 miles away.
Didn't get a bite. Oh well, I'll head to the spillway some other time soon.

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 02, 2018, 07:58:50 AM
Lake Darbonne spillway near Farmerville LA. That's where I'd planned to go, went to the river bank instead since I wasn't feeling great and it's only a mile from home vs 20 miles away.
Didn't get a bite. Oh well, I'll head to the spillway some other time soon.
Hope you get to feeling better soon and keep trying Mr Whiskers will come knocking sooner or later.  ;D

SteelHorseCowboy

Well if I head back that way anytime soon, I'm'a have to be going after some more bass for the IBass. I'll be looking at Google Maps and try to find a spot on the other side of the lake, the place I've been hitting is on the windward side, and it seems like the bass are getting a bit shy after I've harassed them so thoroughly the past week or so.
Might find even bigger, more bitey bass on the calmer side if they haven't been pestered.

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on April 02, 2018, 11:43:53 AM
Well if I head back that way anytime soon, I'm'a have to be going after some more bass for the IBass. I'll be looking at Google Maps and try to find a spot on the other side of the lake, the place I've been hitting is on the windward side, and it seems like the bass are getting a bit shy after I've harassed them so thoroughly the past week or so.
Might find even bigger, more bitey bass on the calmer side if they haven't been pestered.
Good for you and stop pestering them little ones.  lo lo