Another broken Point Blank rod....

Started by Polaris425, May 11, 2018, 12:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polaris425

Just had a call from a second customer having broken a point blank rod I built him.

I'm wondering if they had a bad run, b/c this was the exact same blank as the other guy, and
I ordered them at the same time.

Too much of a coincidence if you ask me. Either way, lifetime warranty, and I had no issues with them last time so, I don't see why I'll have any problems this time. Guess I need to dust off all my tools.

The thing that sucks the most is, I ordered and built these when they were doing the WinnGripp & Perfect fit promotion (and $80 value). WinnGripps, fuji seat, and all the aluminum trim rings to go with it, for FREE.... So I guess unless the customer wants to fork out the $80 for all that stuff, he'll just be getting something simple. His call. At least I can salvage those expensive SiC eyes he wanted on there. So that's a plus. All in all he'll just be out the cost of whatever kind of handle he wants. Maybe I can talk him into some fancy cork. I've been wanting to try out my table top pen lathe I salvaged from my wife's grandfathers shed.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

zippyduck

Which model? Many of us have  a Point Blank rod.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Capt. BassinLou

PB's are resilient for fishing but fragile when mishandled vs other blanks. Ask me how I know... lol!! The good news is that PB's CS is great and they shipped Lee another blank for me.

Lipripper

That's a bummer Polaris but at least they have a great lifetime warranty on them. ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Polaris425

I'm going down to the beach in July, for vacation. So I'll be going right by their office. I'll stop by there like
last time and just swap it out, so no one will have to pay for shipping.

It was the PB701MLF

Shakey Head Rods (both customers actually)
Fishin' Alabama

analfisherman

So any chance trhe customers/guys said what they were doing when they broke them....boat fliupping a Bass, setting a hook....closing the car door...walking around the shore or boat or like Gary just mentioned....driving down the road with jigs and lures flying off the rod ends not hitched to the lure connector on the blank?  ;) :)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Polaris425

The first guy claimed he was just in his garage tying on a new lure, he pulled on the line and it snapped...

I never saw the blank, so I can't tell you anything further.

This local guy I know personally. He's very meticulous and takes very good care of his stuff. I have the rod here at the house now, and it's a clean break. No fraying or splinters like other blanks I've seen. Almost looks like it was just cut into two pieces. He said he felt a bump, set the hook (shaky head) And the fish wrapped him up in some brush. So he popped his line (like you do when you're hung up) and the rod snapped in two.

I asked, and yes, he was able to hand-line the fish into the boat... lol

You can tell there are zero stress marks around the break. It's clear that it had not been closed in a lid or banged against something. Literally, zero marks or scuffs or scratches anywhere on this blank let alone near the break. Just a clean break. I'll take some pics and post them.
Fishin' Alabama

basss

Can't be a coincidence ... both blanks from the same bad run.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

LgMouthGambler

Ive got a few Point Blank rods from Lee Smith Custom Rods, they luckily have been nothing but stellar. The one that was my M power is insane! Many fish faught, but at the same time its my rod for my Scorpion XT1000 that I use for more of an UL duty. Its been through quite a few nasty fights with Snakeheads.

My other one has seen its fair share of 40yd slamming hooksets on Okeechobee with the SV103XS and a swimbait. (Ask Lou, lol) Lou has put his through hell (before the big accident) and his current repair as well. Hopefully its not an "across the board thing", and Mr Lee Smith maybe can give some insight.

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 14, 2018, 06:31:57 PM
Ive got a few Point Blank rods from Lee Smith Custom Rods, they luckily have been nothing but stellar. The one that was my M power is insane! Many fish faught, but at the same time its my rod for my Scorpion XT1000 that I use for more of an UL duty. Its been through quite a few nasty fights with Snakeheads.

My other one has seen its fair share of 40yd slamming hooksets on Okeechobee with the SV103XS and a swimbait. (Ask Lou, lol) Lou has put his through hell (before the big accident) and his current repair as well. Hopefully its not an "across the board thing", and Mr Lee Smith maybe can give some insight.

<")))>{
My past and current PB was/is awesome!! Have landed boat loads of bass. The big accident LMG mentioned was my fault 100% not the rods. Fyi when a rod is under a cleat, dont try to lift the rod, cuz it will SNAP!! Smh...

Polaris425

Update, talked to the guy in Warranty and he said of all the ones they've sold only about 4 have come back broken... 2 now from me... lol though this last one makes 5 total for them. So 2 of the 5 broken PB701MLF have come back through my customers.

Anyway, he said (as he did last time) that it was no problem just strip it and send it and they'd replace it.

I was actually able to salvage a lot of the parts. All of the eyes obviously, (though, I ended up putting a pretty good gash in my thumb with the razor blade doing so) and all of the aluminum trim rings were salvaged. I was even able to pop lose the reel seat arbor that I had used between the split grips to make it look cool. Reel seat hood was saved (it's one of the perfect fit locking hoods with the sleeve and alm. trim.) I have an extra reel seat at the house, and an extra butt cap. So all that the customer will have to pay for are the split grips (Winn) and an arbor for the real seat.

Here's what the handle looked like:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUA1BvP0rCjckNaSUFidU5yTWs/view?usp=sharing

This is the actual rod that broke:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUA1BvP0rCjcEFEemVicFJvS1U/view?usp=sharing
Fishin' Alabama

Polaris425

Update. As usual the guys at Anglers Resource are great & replaced the blank with no problems. Picked it up last week while I was in the area to save on shipping (lucky for me they are close to where we vacation in the summer.)

Anyway, as previously mentioned I was able to salvage everything except the Winn grips and the reel seat. So i stopped by the rod room, which isn't far from A.R.  And got some grips. I already had an extra seat. So handles are going on today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishin' Alabama

Lipripper

Quote from: Polaris425 on July 21, 2018, 04:04:03 PM
Update. As usual the guys at Anglers Resource are great & replaced the blank with no problems. Picked it up last week while I was in the area to save on shipping (lucky for me they are close to where we vacation in the summer.)

Anyway, as previously mentioned I was able to salvage everything except the Winn grips and the reel seat. So i stopped by the rod room, which isn't far from A.R.  And got some grips. I already had an extra seat. So handles are going on today.

You must be hard on your blanks  ~roflmao ~roflmao Good to see you have a good relationship with them folks down there.  ;D Nice that you were able to salvage the other parts and the customer willbe happy. ~c~

Polaris425

She done.

Fishin' Alabama

SteveTX

A little different pattern but looks nice.

Sandman7925

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 14, 2018, 06:44:06 PM
My past and current PB was/is awesome!! Have landed boat loads of bass. The big accident LMG mentioned was my fault 100% not the rods. Fyi when a rod is under a cleat, dont try to lift the rod, cuz it will SNAP!! Smh...

Or under the corner if you're trolling motor base. Yea I've done that.

Lipripper

Polaris425

Thanks. Hope dad is pleased with it.

Fishin' Alabama