Cowhouse Creek Belton Lake Central Texas 11 May 18

Started by Donald Garner, May 12, 2018, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings,

Carl and I made a late afternoon trip to fish Cowhouse Creek over on Belton Lake.  We launched the Stratos out of Blora over on Ft. Hood and made the short run up into Cowhouse at the Western end of Belton Lake. 

Weather conditions were bright sunny skies 88 dgrs was the temp at launch.  The wind was coming out of the South at 12 mph and gusting to 20 mph.  Towards the end of the trip the wind had shifted from the South to the East.  Water conditions varied as to your location the mouth of Cowhouse Creek is muddy but was clearing up the further you traveled up it.  Water temps ranged 78 - 81dgrs depending on your location up in the creek.

There was tons of bait fish activity as we idled up the creek.  The fish were very active in feeding on them.  With the wind blowing just enough to put a little chop on the surface  I just knew the spinnerbait bite was going to be on.  I didn't get one single strike on the spinnerbait during this trip.  Carl had started out flipping a Sweet Beaver while I fished that spinner bait.  It wasn't long before he had hooked up with our first big bass of the trip a 4.3lber.  It didn't take long for me to start flipping and pitching a Sweet Beaver after that.

During this trip we 'Spot Fished' key structure we saw up in the creek.  There numerous spots were there's submerged bushes, laydowns coming off the bank and lying in shallow water.  There's a few willow trees that over hung the water and there were some submerged bushes and laydowns under them.  There also a couple stumps sticking up out in the creek itself also.

In the end we managed to boat (5) bass with the total weight being 11.8lbs.  All of our fish came off isolated structure in water depth between 8 - 11ft deep.  Our big bass was a 4.5lber caught off a stump sticking up in the channel.

Our big bass 4.5lber

Equipment Used

Carl's Sweet Beaver Setup:  Rod> BPS Extreme 7ft (H) casting rod; Reel> ABU Garcia Black Max 6.4:1 low profile casting reel; Line> Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test; Worm weight> 1/4oz Tungsten;  Hook> 4/0 Lazer TroKar Flippin Hook;  Lure> Reaction Innovation 4.20 Sweet Beaver California 420

Don's Sweet Beaver Setup: Rod = LSCR (Lee Smith Custom Rod) 7ft (MH) Flipping Stick; Reel = Revo SX 6.4:1 reel; Line = Seaguar Red Label 20lb Fluorocarbon Line; Worm Weighs = Tungsten 1/4 oz;  Hook= 4/0 Lazer TroKar Flippin Hook;  Sweet Beaver = Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver 4.20 Bloody Mary & California 420.     
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard