Learning to use a bait caster

Started by HTTR, May 13, 2018, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HTTR

I'm like a shark slowly circling baitcaster deals. Before I pull the trigger I need to know how I will hold the thing. I couldn't tell from holding one in-store. Does it directly translate from spinning setups. I'm right handed and I cast with my right hand and reel with my left. I have a strong feeling I will stick with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippyduck

That is how he smart guys do it.  ;)

Ask the store to put one on a rod to get the feel for it.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Captsteve

Quote from: HTTR on May 13, 2018, 06:58:00 PM
I'm like a shark slowly circling baitcaster deals. Before I pull the trigger I need to know how I will hold the thing. I couldn't tell from holding one in-store. Does it directly translate from spinning setups. I'm right handed and I cast with my right hand and reel with my left. I have a strong feeling I will stick with that.

only on a baitcaster you will have to buy a left hand real. they are not reversible like spinning reels

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Fun4me

I just follow what KVD does. Seems to work for him (right handed casting reels) :)

Kris

I am also right handed, cast with my right and crank with my left on both styles of reels. It was not always that way because there were limited left hand reels available back in the day. I originally started with the right handed but seemed to miss blowups, especially on top water, when switching hands. Lost two in one day during a tournament with a Zara Spook and switched to left handed. Never looked back.
Best advise I can give on starting use with a baitcaster is buy a mid-quality one to start. Somewhere between $100 and $150 will get you a good reel to start. El Cheapo reels are a deal but may not be the best to keep you trying. Cheap reels may get you to say the hell with this. Good luck. Out of 14 combos that I have hanging in the basement only two are spinning outfits.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

loomisguy

I crank with my right on a casting reel and with my left on a spinning reel. After 40 years I can't that changing.

Mike Cork

Best advice is to jump off into it. As has been mentioned, don't by a cheap one it will only serve to frustrate you. Reels in the 130-150 range generally have the tools to allow you to prevent backlashing and then work into longer casting.

A Shimano citica is a perfect choice for beginners IMO.

Daiwa has some fantastic reels as well.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: HTTR on May 13, 2018, 06:58:00 PM

Cool to see your transitioning into b/c's, your going to get tons of suggestions. Stick with what "you" are use to and comfortable with. By the sounds of it, you will be looking at b/c's with the handles on the left side vs traditional right.

WTodd

Agree with the Citica and whatever feels comfy casting and retrieving

LgMouthGambler

Get a Daiwa Fuego CT, and learn on that. The best thing about it is, when you are ready to upgrade, alls you have to do is tune it. It becomes a whole different reel! I know, I took the plunge and tuned one for personal use. This coming from someone who uses high end stuff, that reel aint no slouch!

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bankbeater56

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 14, 2018, 08:10:34 PM
Get a Daiwa Fuego CT, and learn on that. The best thing about it is, when you are ready to upgrade, alls you have to do is tune it. It becomes a whole different reel! I know, I took the plunge and tuned one for personal use. This coming from someone who uses high end stuff, that reel aint no slouch!

<")))>{
Agree! I have 2 6:3:1 and 8:2:1 and LOVE THEM!!

SFL BassHunter

Don't go cheap. You don't need to go super expensive either. A good brake system is important for learning. Daiwa's magforce z brakes are fantastic. I was skeptical of just magnetic brakes due to my casting style but after using them, I love them.
Shimano has some good brakes on their reels as well.
Lews has a bunch of reels with dual brakes and that is great for learning. You can adjust your front end brakes and back end brakes this way depending on your casting style.

On the cheaper end I recommend the Fuego CT, or Tatula CT. If you want something that is harder to backlash you could go up to a Tatula SV. I am a fan of these due to the all aluminum frame and side plates.

On the Shimano side there are some good reels as well. A Citica is a great reel and can be had for less than $140.

lews makes some good reels that also have  small form factor.

I cast with my right and reel with my left. If that is what you are comfortable with, then you'll want to go with a Lefty reel. In baitcasters that means the handle is on the left side.

Like some mentioned earlier, if you are going to get a rod and a reel, go to the store, put the reel on the rod and see how the combo feels. Make sure it's balanced and feels good in your hand.
There is a big difference in holding a spinning and baitcaster. The spinning is easier to hold because you're holding the handle of the rod. With baitcaster you are palming the reel and rod. So comfort is critical.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinkorea

I also agree with the others that mentioned not using a cheap baitcaster at the beginning.

My daughter has been fishing with me for several years, and always only with a spinning set-up. This year I have been letting her try my one baitcasting set-ups, and one of the best things for a beginner BC user is to use a good braided line. This will certainly help with casting as well as easier to remove the over-runs that you WILL get.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Sandman7925

Do it right and get something decent. Chronarch MGL is my vote.

Bankbeater56

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 14, 2018, 08:10:34 PM

<")))>{
What do you mean by tuning it, if you don't mind my asking.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bankbeater56 on September 22, 2018, 02:42:50 PM
What do you mean by tuning it, if you don't mind my asking.

Adding bearings where there are bushings, upgrading spool bearings, and a proper lubing of the reel. It becomes quite the smooth, and casting machine.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bud Kennedy

Bankbeater LgMouthGambler is a reel expert.  The tuning he speaks about pertains to better bearings and a good cleaning and treatment with his special juice.  As a new baitcaster person, I would not confuse myself with all the technical innovations that can be applied.  That will be for later.  You have been given some good information in this thread.  Get a good quality reel as referenced and go practice.  on the bottom line the reel preference is purely a personal decision.  My favorite might not be your favorite etc.

Bankbeater56

Thanks