Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technique Specific Rods.......do you or don't you?  (Read 1403 times)

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
Re: Technique Specific Rods.......do you or don't you?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 07:27:03 AM »

I sort of miss those early years but I do not miss pistol grip fishing rods.

Nor do I lo

The only technique specific rod/reel that I actually went out and gave some thought to is my 7'4" St Croix Mojo Bass MH and my Revo Rocket, rigged up with 55 lb test. Other than that, my Omen 2 7'1" M/Curado K is my workhorse, from fluking to T-rig worms to wacky rigs, even light chatterbaits and bullet rigged creatures.
If I really need to toss my fluke extra far, my spinning rig can launch that sucker out farther than my Omen rig.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »

Ya, I don't pay attention to the listed Tecnique either.

Funny story, I have a GLX that I bought new, mailed, so I can only 'assume' I CHECKED IT OVER THROUGHLY????

Had it for like THREE YEARS or more..........and last winter when doing my rod cleaning/inspections....and I, for the VERY FIRST TIME. noticed it was listed as a JIG and TUBE Rod......RIGHT ON THE BLANK! ::) ::) ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

It's a Spinning rod with some high price reel on it (I know what it is and LOVE it BUT it's not important to the discussion).

I toss Wackys and weightless Stickbaits with it use a totally different setup for drop shotting.......got to check.........that rod may NOT BE FOR DROP SHTTING?? ~roflmao

The GLX has never seen a JIG NOR A TUBE.....well can't remember...could of tossed a lighter Swimjig with it in a pinch?

But as a rule, I use BC equipment for jigging, pitching, punching, flipping....just want better control for those techniques.

BUT I HAVE TO CONFESS.....

If and when I go rod shopping for a NEW TO ME PRESENTATION/TECHNIQUE.....I WILL search over the 'Technique Specific' rod categories simply to see what folks are using and what manufacture's feel is/are the best powers, actions, materials or most popular.......then I start my research.....so with in a couple of YEARS my investigation will be done and I will choose rod....then run it by the PROSTAFF here....then find a sale........and often realize.......IT'S A TECHNIQUE I REALLY DON'T EVEN ENJOY USING!   ~roflmao ~roflmao

Prime EXAMPLE......I GOT A FLOAT AND FLY SETUP THAT HAS SEEN MAYBE A DOZEEN OUTTINGS AND CAUGHT ONLY SIX FISH!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

BUT boy oh boy....it's probably/maybe the BEST Float & Fly known to man?????? ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

And IT CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE....long a$$ piece of crap!  >:D lo
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:05:15 AM by analfisherman »
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »

And IT CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE....long a$$ piece of crap!  >:D lo

bahahahaha ~roflmao
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

3crows

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 11:14:36 PM »

Technique specific rods are not exactly new. When I was in college, circa 1972, the sporting goods store I had a part time job in got in the new Lew's rods. They were labeled for specific tasks, I still have several from that time. And they still work fine though they are shorter than what we use today, have pistol grips that are interchangeable so one could have one reel and multiple rods to fit it. And they are glass of course.

3C

Spro_Junky

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »

Great topic and I go strictly be feel and being a 'bank' basser I just want one ultimate rod/reel setup. Over the years I've had what I'd consider too much tackle to ever make practical use of. I've also sold all my tackle twice just to get a fresh start if anything. After having used all sorts of rods (custom/mass produced), higher end baitcasters, etc. since the early 80s I definitely know exactly what I want this time around as I'm starting from scratch for the last time. Reel I had in mind and just received is the TD Luna 253. Looking for the right all-purpose rod rod to pair it with led me to Cabela's over the weekend. They have some really great offerings and I spent quite awhile comparing lots of them. Went there with the St. Croix Avid X in mind, just had to find the one that felt right to me. Settled on a 7' MH Fast model as I plan to use 14-17# line and 3/8-3/4 oz. lures.

analfisherman

• Charter Member
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

Spro Junky...WELCOME TO THE SITE!

That Luna looks like a nice reel with some great features.
I'm a Croix boy by heart and living in WI.  ;) ;D.....I have many Avids but have used but not purchased an X......Avids are a nice rod!

Gotta ask, how many Spros are going to be in your new arsenal?  :)

Good luck with the new start !

WTodd

• Largemouth
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »

Only for flipping; since the fish donít care what rod I use I donít either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j102

• Lunker
Technique Specific Rods.......do you or don't you?
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »

For Bank fishing, I have one M and one MH that I use for most techniques. I keep them short to cast under trees and stuff.
Freshwater (Bass) fishing in friends boats, I used to bring several rods, but now I just bring two or three in M and MH, between 6í6Ē and 7í.
Saltwater fishing (which is what I do 85% of the time) I use specific rods for each specific techniques or targeted species, also depending on if I am fishing the flats, inshore, jigging, trolling or offshore (not really offshore, just a couple miles out, but in deep enough water).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:49:05 AM by j102 »

Spro_Junky

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 06:18:03 AM »

Spro Junky...WELCOME TO THE SITE!

That Luna looks like a nice reel with some great features.
I'm a Croix boy by heart and living in WI.  ;) ;D.....I have many Avids but have used but not purchased an X......Avids are a nice rod!

Gotta ask, how many Spros are going to be in your new arsenal?  :)

Good luck with the new start !

For years now the only reels I've had interest in buying new were the Shimano TE GT (hard to find these days) and the Luna. Between those 2 I'd still choose the Luna as I like Daiwa build quality/features. Have used low profiles going back to the 80s and just don't care for the modern spin being put on them. Feel cheap/weak to me and is why I like round reels. Even though the Luna 253 is a decent sized reel, it's nicely made/balanced and sits rather low on the seat.

Of course there are lots of quality rods on the market, but the Avid X looks to have a lot to offer for the $ and I really like the split handle/micro guides as both are new to me compared to what I've used over the decades.

Regarding 'spro'... it's actually due to my obsession over espresso/coffee roasting, but the Spro brand of lures are quite good based on what I've had in the past.

gtrpickr

• Charter Member
  • Take a kid fishing! ><> J
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 12:40:09 AM »

This thread is a good read, I was gonna start one asking a question about the next best thing to a crank bait specific rod but kinda got my answer after reading this. I already had an idea in mind and after reading the responses here I felt what I had in mind would work out just fine.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 06:59:42 AM »

This thread is a good read, I was gonna start one asking a question about the next best thing to a crank bait specific rod but kinda got my answer after reading this. I already had an idea in mind and after reading the responses here I felt what I had in mind would work out just fine.

~c~
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »

I would probably buy technique specific rods but can't find "soak bait all day for one little nibble" printed on a rod.  ~bb
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

analfisherman

• Charter Member
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

PRO STAFF(MEMBERS)......THANKS!!!!!!!! ~c~ ~c~

I have learned SO MUCH from the great input....as much from the 'newer bassers' as from the more experienced ones. (WHICH I LEARNED A LOT FROM TOO!!)  :)

Something I didn't anticipate, was how you anglers explained your TRANSITION from when you first started buying your tools (fishing equipment) to where you are today when considering a rod.

I FOUND THIS EXTREMELY VALUABLE and thank everyone for sharing thier personal TRANSITION!  ~c~ ~c~

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

Buying rods is a progression for most anglers.  My experience is the first roods purchased are more multi-purposed and selected by length, power and action. As an angler becomes more familiar with how a rod handles a weight range or gamut of techniques, they branch out and become more selective and seek rods with a sweet spot within a technique but look for the rod's ability to do more. An example is a jerkbait rod that can handle top water chores.

Later in the progression comes the true tech specific rods, i.e., punching, drop shot, swimbait, deep cranking.  Anglers find their niche'  and happy place techniques and select rods to maximize the efficiency for that technique. An angler that fishes green and brown bass and various types of lakes and rivers more often than not select more technique specific rods.  I have several friends who started bass fishing in the last five years or so. To no surprise, this is just how they have made their selections.

analfisherman

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »

An angler that fishes green and brown bass and various types of lakes and rivers more often than not select more technique specific rods.   

FINALLY...............I NOW HAVE THE PERFECT EXCUSE FOR MY INSANITY.........I FISH FOR SMALLIES AND LARGIES........and I LOVE to eat home caught Pans and Eyes.........I fish so many different BOWs including rivers, creeks, ponds, PUDDLES, lakes large and small..........I NEED TO GET ME SOME MORE RODS!!!! ~roflmao ~roflmao 

DAWG......You just made an ADDICT VERY HAPPY (and a MONKEY ;) :))!!!!!  ~c~ ~c~ ;D

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 11:25:30 PM »

I once was into technique specific rods but honestly it all felt like too much hassle eventually. Had 6 baitcasters and two spinning reels to have to take care of every year, strip and clean and relube, and all those rods to put in and out of the boat every trip out. So I simplified. Basically I use a MH/F for baits with larger single hooks (spinnerbait, buzzbait, jig, and plastics with an EWG hook). I use a MH/MF for any bait with a treble hook. Then  I have a spinning rod for light weight stuff or any technique where my hand is more comfortable holding it than would be on a baitcast rod. One HARD rule I have is I WILL NOT buy a spinning rod without a fore grip. It is a total deal breaker if it cannot be held comfortably out in front of the reel. Also yes, I do consider the fun of the catch when buying a rod. If it doesnít feel like Iíd enjoy using it then itís worthless. I spend 80% of my time fishing and 20% catching when I go out. So the 80% better be enjoyable or itís a waste, and the other 20% needs to be memorable or else whatís the point?

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »

I once was into technique specific rods but honestly it all felt like too much hassle eventually. Had 6 baitcasters and two spinning reels to have to take care of every year, strip and clean and relube, and all those rods to put in and out of the boat every trip out. So I simplified. Basically I use a MH/F for baits with larger single hooks (spinnerbait, buzzbait, jig, and plastics with an EWG hook). I use a MH/MF for any bait with a treble hook. Then  I have a spinning rod for light weight stuff or any technique where my hand is more comfortable holding it than would be on a baitcast rod. One HARD rule I have is I WILL NOT buy a spinning rod without a fore grip. It is a total deal breaker if it cannot be held comfortably out in front of the reel. Also yes, I do consider the fun of the catch when buying a rod. If it doesnít feel like Iíd enjoy using it then itís worthless. I spend 80% of my time fishing and 20% catching when I go out. So the 80% better be enjoyable or itís a waste, and the other 20% needs to be memorable or else whatís the point?

Nice.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 23 queries.