Technique Specific Rods.......do you or don't you?

Started by analfisherman, May 16, 2018, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

In today's higher range rods ($100-$150 range) and the high end rod category ($150 and above) most seem to be referred to as 'technique specific'.

Now we are all aware that these are strictly guidelines AND can be used for a MULTITUDE of uses.

1)  So when YOU go rod shopping are you USUALLY seeking/looking for a specific technique to use it for or do  you go more for the actual 'power' of the rod and 'action' of the rod?

2)  Do you look for a more 'multipurpose' rod....not really concerned or any idea of what you wish to use it for BUT definitely want it for MORE THAN a single purpose?

3)   Do you prefer to having 'multipurpose' rods for shore-busting and when in a boat take more 'technique specific' rod line up? (after all....on a boat you definitely can carry/have A LOT more different/amount of rods a long)

4)   If you could ONLY own 4 rods, specify what you would want (not TAKE 4 rods...OWN 4 rods) what would you choose....weight (if known), Power and Action and Length.

5)   With today's 'finesse' techniques being so popular and effective, would you definitely want at least one rod/setup to be spinning reel/setup?
Or do you still 'prefer' using Baitcasting gear for everything and anything.......now I know you may have already answered that in the above questions....but I wanted to be sure the 'Southern' folks didn't forget that spinning gear is now a viabile option for bassin and not just a 'panfish' alternative.  ;) lo

Please give your thoughts or reasons for you choices.

If you wish....feel free to mention specific 'brands' if THAT is the ONLY brand you would consider or OWN......or you have a SPECIFIC reason for having that brand.

This is STRICTLY a curiousity question and there is NO RIGHT OR WRONG REPLYS.

Pro Staff (members) thank you for your input!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Oldfart9999

For worm, jig, creature I mostly use Medh BPS CARBONLITES, I do use several med also, lengths range from 6'6" to 7' depending on whether I'm I'm on grass edges or docks/shoreline, shorter for shoreline/docks. I still like spinning gear for a lot of my finesse fishing and lightweight baits. For reaction baits, cranks, jerks, spinnerbaits and topwater I use BPS Crankin sticks various lengths and actions, I use the ones I do because they are composites, I prefer the extra sensitivity.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

I'll do my best to answer each question one at a time with my reasons for my choices.

1)  So when YOU go rod shopping are you USUALLY seeking/looking for a specific technique to use it for or do  you go more for the actual 'power' of the rod and 'action' of the rod?

I always shop by power and action and also length (although length is less important  in the overall equation to me) because I know what I prefer for specific techniques. I don't give a rat's hind end if the rod says it's for a specific technique. If the action and power are what I'm looking for I'll use it for what I need it for.

2)  Do you look for a more 'multipurpose' rod....not really concerned or any idea of what you wish to use it for BUT definitely want it for MORE THAN a single purpose?

In light of the above I guess many of my setups would be considered multipurpose, although I do have a few that I limit to only one or occasionally a second technique. I make this multipurpose approach more doable by carrying spare spools of different line (yes, even for my baitcast reels).

3)   Do you prefer to having 'multipurpose' rods for shore-busting and when in a boat take more 'technique specific' rod line up? (after all....on a boat you definitely can carry/have A LOT more different/amount of rods a long)

In my tourney fishing days, and whenever I owned a boat this was pretty much the approach I took - sort of. As you stated I could have more rods, which meant more baits pre-rigged. But many times I had multiples of the same rod rigged with different baits. Example: When I used Falcon rods I owned 6 of their Carolina Lizard Dragger rods - 2 of the spinning version  and 4 of the casting version. 1 of the spinning versions was my Carolina rig rod. The other spinning version usually had a jig tied on for skipping because I was not good at skipping jigs  with a baitcaster at that point. Even though  thecasting  versions said Carolina Lizard  Dragger NOT a single one was used to throw a C-rig. Two were used as jig rods, One for frogs and the other for large spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and ripping lipless cranks out of heavy vegetation if they snagged.

I don't want  his to  get too long, but if the  crankbait bite was on I had 6 rods on deck but not all of them were specifically designed for crankbait fishing. You get the idea.

4)   If you could ONLY own 4 rods, specify what you would want (not TAKE 4 rods...OWN 4 rods) what would you choose....weight (if known), Power and Action and Length.

When I fished as a co-angler I limited myself to 4 or 5 rods so I can base my answer here on that.

Rod 1. I would have a 7' medium power fast action spinning rod with a 3500 or 4000 size reel spooled with 14 lb. Fireline (Keeping in mind that I carry multiple spools of line for each reel). The larger spool size would allow me to fish just about any depth. The small diameter (6 lb. mono equivelant) allows for finesse presentations and the strength to handle some bigger fish. The Fireline is very sensitive so it would allow me to feel bites regardless of depth, and it cuts vegetation really well if needed. The reduced stretch of the line helps facillitate hooksets in deep water and at long distances. Having a medium power fast action rod is a good compromise for use with either treble hook  or single hook baits.

Rod 2. A Medium heavy fast action casting rod 7' - 7' 4" for moving baits like spinnerbaits,  chatterbaits etc. It can also double as a light flippin/pitchin stick and for throwing a variety of plastics. Usually spooled with 30 or 40lb. braid.

Rod 3. A medium or medium-heavy (depending on manufacturer) moderate action rod for cranks, certain topwaters, basically anything with trebles. The softer action being to help keep the fish from coming unbuttoned.I alsouse braid on this rod  the majority of the time.

Rod 4. A heavy power rod to use as a dedicated heavy cover and general purpose flippin/pitchin rod. 65 pound braid and a FAST reel.

5)   With today's 'finesse' techniques being so popular and effective, would you definitely want at least one rod/setup to be spinning reel/setup?
Or do you still 'prefer' using Baitcasting gear for everything and anything.......now I know you may have already answered that in the above questions....but I wanted to be sure the 'Southern' folks didn't forget that spinning gear is now a viabile option for bassin and not just a 'panfish' alternative.

Yep As I stated above. I ALWAYS have at least one spinning outfit with me even when shore busting.There are just too many techniques where I prefer a spinning outfit to baitcasting.

Well, I hope that answers  at least the important part of each question. If you need more details I will try and elaborate further.  ~sun

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

merc1997

i do not own any two rods that are of the same manufacture.  i am just glad to have one.  i know this will hurt some feelings, but most decent non-expensive rods will do the job.  just about any cheaper rod and some braid will get the job done.  just my humble opinion.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: merc1997 on May 16, 2018, 04:52:51 PM
i do not own any two rods that are of the same manufacture.  i am just glad to have one.  i know this will hurt some feelings, but most decent non-expensive rods will do the job.  just about any cheaper rod and some braid will get the job done.  just my humble opinion.

bo

Despite my long winded answer I agree with you Bo. If most of us are honest we can remember a time when we fished for everything and anything with just one rod and reel, and we caught plenty of fish while doing it that way.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteelHorseCowboy

Can't afford technique specific rods or reels. My three go-to combos are well rounded (for my taste and budget) in several different techniques.
Then I have my catfish combo, UL rig for fun and easy transport, and the President combo for the fine finesse fishing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on May 16, 2018, 05:01:01 PM
Despite my long winded answer I agree with you Bo. If most of us are honest we can remember a time when we fished for everything and anything with just one rod and reel, and we caught plenty of fish while doing it that way.

Yup.  That's how I did it.  One rod.  One Mitchell 300.  Caught more than I do now.  Of course that has more to do with where I currently live........in Fishing  ^-^.

OP:  Played this game before.  Frustrating then.  Frustrating now.  Glad we don't have to live with that scenario.  Will make an attempt at an honest answer.  My selections are based on rods I already own.

1.  No.  I am USUALLY looking at versatile rods.

2.  See 1.

3.  No.  I may only carry a max of 3 rods (usually only 2) fishing from shore, but there are more in the car already set up with a variety of lures.  A few are technique specific, but they will stay on shore or go on a boat with me.  Such as crankbait rod and frog rod.

This is where it gets tough.  Last year a spinning rod wouldn't have made the cut.  This year it will.

4.  Some choices.  Final?  Doubt it.

1)  Fantasista Regista 6'10" MLF spinning rod.  Finesse.
   2)  Dobyns 704CB Glass.  Crankbaits.
   3)  ALX Deputy 7'1" MHF.  Pretty much any single hook, but especially for bottom contact lures.
   4)  Since only 4 rods, I'd consider overlapping the Regista and Deputy and forego a Medium power rod.  So do I go with another MH or pick a Heavy power for my last selection?  Tempted to go with a 7'6" HF Zillion, but for versatility's sake I would pick either the Megabass Spec R or ALX Toadface.  Tough choice.  Haven't used the Toadface yet.  Final choice would most likely be the 7'2" MH Diablo Spec R.
   5)  I used to try to do it all with baitcast gear.  Now I have added a couple spinning rods.

SteveTX

1. I go more for the actual 'power' of the rod and 'action' of the rod along with light weight, with some idea in my head of what I want it to do. In the past the feel of a rod in your hand was well that is what they made. Today I really like to have the grip a certain diameter that is comfortable a reel seat that does not make you place your hand a certain way. I want my hand to lay comfortably/naturally around it. And I want it light! Dammit we supposedly went to the moon 49 years ago, we have the ability to track a nat on the other side of the world, I don't think a fishing rod should feel like holding a 7' stick of rebar.

2. I do not look for a more 'multipurpose' rod. I enjoy using tools more refined for the task. Also being I fish primarily from a boat I have the luxury of carrying numerous rods. I find I usually have a technique or two in mind when rod shopping. If I was mostly fishing from the bank this would be more multipurpose rods no doubt.

3. Yes I prefer to having 'multipurpose' rods for shore-busting and when in a boat take more 'technique specific' rod line up.

4. I think this has a lot to do with where you plan to fish.

• Power: Medium | Action: Fast | Length: 7'
  • Power: Heavy | Action: Mod Fast | Length: 7'3"
  • Power: Mag Heavy | Action: Fast | Length: 7'3"
  • Power: Mag Heavy | Action: Fast | Length: 7'6"

5. I still 'prefer' using Bait casting gear for everything and anything. although I do own some spinning gear. Just very few select places I can use typically I'm not fishing open water.  'finesse' Bah Humbug!  lo

TrueGritAngler

I'm a bank beater myself. I carry two rods.

1. Dobyns 734C which is my multipurpose rod.
2. Dobyns 735C which is my frog rod, pitching rod.

I'm looking at getting a 703 or 733 for for weightless plastics, and eventually have the 734 being a chatterbait, swimjig, spinnerbait, buzzbait rod. Fishing from a bank limits the amount of gear I want to haul around but I think 3 rods would satisfy my style of fishing.   As I become more experienced (only my 3rd season of fishing) I have gravitated to having technique specific rods.
Instagram @truegritangler

SFL BassHunter

A mix of both. But I rarely go technique specific.

Most my rods are multipurpose. Only 2 rods are technique specific and that's my punching rod. Even then that rod has the ability to throw heavy lures like big swimbaits, and my Frog rod, and even that throws jigs

When shore-busting I take 1 or 2 rods max. They are always multipurpose. Best rod out there for this is the Champion 734C or the Savvy 734C (Now the Sierra 734C). Even when on a boat I will only have 4 to 5 rods max. Sometimes 3 depending on who I go with and where we are going. With Big G I generally go with 3 rods. My tackle is also condensed as I know what I'll be throwing and limitations of the places I am going to. With BassinLou in the Glades I take 3-4. Lake Okeechobee 4-5.
Regardless my rods are not technique specific. The Champion 705 Glass will throw my cranks, jerks, topwaters, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits.
The Champion 734c handle all my softplastics and can also handle everything the 705 Glass can if needed.
My Frog rod also handles jigs
Then there is the punching rod. This one only comes out to play on certain lakes.

Champion 705 Glass (Cranks, Spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, topwaters)
Champion 734C  (Soft Plastics, Light Jigs, Cranks, Spinnerbaits, topwaters)
Champion 705C or Okuma Helios H/F 7" (Frogs and Medium to Heavy Jigs)
Champion 766FLip (Punching, Heavy Jigs, Big Swimbaits)

Or do you still 'prefer' using Baitcasting gear for everything and anything.......now I know you may have already answered that in the above questions....but I wanted to be sure the 'Southern' folks didn't forget that spinning gear is now a viabile option for bassin and not just a 'panfish' alternative.  ;) lo

I have no issue with spinning gear. I own 2 spinning outfits. They are used more often when bank fishing than on the boat. I have taken a spinning rod with me on a few boat outings.
But I have no issue throwing my finesse stuff on my baitcasters. The Tatula SV and Tatula CT cast all my light stuff without issue.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

The more rods I buy the more specific I am getting with them. Now do most of them have multiple uses, Heck yeah.
But if I use a technique a lot I buy a rod for it now. If conditions call for another technique and that rod will work best then it will be used.

Only four rods.

A MH modF
A MH fast
A heavy Xfast
A xheavy fast.

Nothing I can't do with those four rods. Even your so called finesse fishing.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

basss

Quote from: TrueGritAngler on May 17, 2018, 12:25:25 PM
I'm looking at getting a 703 or 733...

I recommend the 733-( you can get one for 100 including ship n tax). I have 3 of just those they're so good.  Being a bank beater, that might be a bit too long though.  Worth the price if you ask me.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

basss

I do.

Before I joined this site I had 3 poles, 2 spinners and 1 baitcaster that didn't get much use because I did not know how to tune it.  Now that I've been on this site for just over a year; I look for specific rod/reel combos. I match reel/rod power as close as possible for a specific purpose.  As a result, I have a rod and reel for every situation included a hundred year drought- seems like.

Funny enough, I find myself using 4 rods mainly, all Dobyns, so I'll pick those as my four- noted below.

Shore busting is definitely a more compact outing. Take those same four rods in the truck but only two go out at a time.

I also think spinners are a must, at least one.

703-SF
733C
734C
766-Flip

1995 Gheenoe Highsider

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: basss on May 17, 2018, 08:35:55 PM
I recommend the 733-( you can get one for 100 including ship n tax). I have 3 of just those they're so good.  Being a bank beater, that might be a bit too long though.  Worth the price if you ask me.
My other Furys are 7'3 and the length helps me make those long parallel cast along the bank and weedlines. (At least I think they do) Those 733's good for weightless tactics? Where can I get one for that price??
Instagram @truegritangler

Bassinkorea

I have only ever bought one rod based on it's specified function, and that was a Shimano Crucial cranking rod which I bought for....you guessed it....cranking.

Every other rod I have was bought based on it's action.

Most of my rods for Korean bassin' are M or MH casting rods and a couple of ML spinning rods.

Since I get all my rods for free (sponsor), I mostly stick to the same brand, but I do have a few other brands as well.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

analfisherman

Pro Staff, THANKS, some really interesting input!  ~c~

Well, this is 'PARTIALLY' the motivation for this question.
   I CONSTANTLY get asked about MY ideas/thoughts from anglers when they are looking at getting a new rod.
   AND I at least a couple times a month get anglers who stop me when I'm shoreblasting and getting my rods out or putting them back in my car.....simply because they want to see, feel and hold a rod someone else told them I had.......and yes I usually let them take a few (or more) casts with them.

Many I've seen around the fishing holes before and many have asked for me input on other fishing topics like what I'm tossing and catching and the whys of doing it.
I'm talking everything from colors, sizes, are they worth what they are asking for them (usually followed by, where did you get yours, have an EXTREME reputation for NEVER paying retail for fishing related items)

So my initial response is, "WHY are you looking for a new rod?"
  Followed by, "What's your price 'preference'?"
The OTHER REASON for the thread is.........I'm ANAL and have an EXTREMELY high level of plain and simple CURIOUSITY about flat out ANY TOPIC known to man......and I find a NEED to know the 'WHYS'  ~roflmao ~roflmao

Now I'll come BACK and share some thoughts on what I DO when looking for a 'Fishing Tool (ROD, in this case....but something I'm not seeing in the reply's and one of MY PERSONAL MOTIVATIONS in upgrading tools.........IS THE FUN THE MORE EXPENSIVE RODS HAVE BROUGHT TO MY FISHING!
  Yes at this point in life, I fish technique and presentation orientated fishing almost ALWAYS.
I NEED to learn and EXPERIMENT on almost every outting.
While many have a goal of the biggest and baddest fish ever caught.......I enjoy catching fish on 'how many different presentations and varibles I possible can accomplish using and which way brings ME THE MOST JOY. (ya, I frequently will switch from using the HOT BITE lure/bait/color in the middle of it's success and CHANGE color or size or to a COMPLETLY different presentation totally.......simply to try and understand the 'whys' of the 'Hot Baits' reason for success. (ANAL TO THE MAX!!!!! ::) :))

SOOOOOO....back to topic.

I saved my money as a very young man to get into buying the 'newly' discovered use of graphite in fishing rods. (first one I bought was a Lightning Rod and my fish of interest was 'Crappie' and using artificial baits. (mostly plastics like a 1/32 oz. ball jig and a two inch curly tail grub.....IN A HUNDRED DIFFERENT COLORS.... ~roflmao

WHAT I DISCOVERED WAS HOW MUCH MORE FUN I HAD REELING IN AND PLAYING THE FISH ON THE RETRIEVE!!!!! :shocking: :-* ;D ~c~
To this day I'm ADDICTED TO THE FUN OF THE RUN in my angling.
I never wench that fish into the boat or shore at a HIGH RATE OF SPEED. (I did back in the 'Tournament Days' (MONEY is also an extreme ADDICTION OF MINE  lo) but even then when fishing for fun I played the run........AND FOUND THAT WAS MY TRUE PASSION and stopped fishing tournaments all together.

And YES, I've lost MANY a BIG BASS strictly due to my not simply reeling it in and landing it!  ::) 8)

I still fish to eat and 'panhandle' for my dinner......and do it with plastics/artificials and HIGH END fishing RODS.......I have SIX panhandler RODS that run over a $100 and two 'customs' even and a THIRD being made as we speak.  :embarassed: ~shade :surrender:

(I often hear, "the fish don't know the price of your rod, nor care" and I buy " cheaper rods and catch as many fish as most using them".....and I DEEPLY RESPECT THESE THOUGHTS AND AGREE........BUT have you ever ENJOYED catching a fish on a high quality rod.....I guarantee I can place a rod in peoples hands who have shared these thoughts (and have) and the joy of the CATCH will almost DOUBLE and the SMILES do TOO!  ;) :)
(a better rod CERTAINLY won't make you a 'worse angler' BUT may increase your JOY a lot)

So an ADDED question.....do any of you base your rod 'purchases' based on the JOY OF THE RUN AND RETRIEVE?
Sensativity is of the HIT is ALSO an extreme GOAL of mine and knowing/feeling what my jig/crank/lure is coming in contact with is simply 'old school' learning the waters you fish without electronics.

AGAIN, THANKS PROSTAFF for great responses and keep them coming....PLEASE. ;D
(I'm learning A LOT!)   
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteveTX

Quotedo any of you base your rod 'purchases' based on the JOY OF THE RUN AND RETRIEVE?
I dont.  lo

zippyduck

I am now basing my purchases on fun and fit. I want to be able to fish longer without arm fatigue. So a light balanced rod is a must.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

basss

1995 Gheenoe Highsider

Capt. BassinLou

Out of all my outfits. 2 rods standout as Technique Specific.

Dobyns CH 736, for punching and frogging

LSCR Point Blank H, for just frogging.

Both outfits compliment their designated technique's perfectly.

Bud Kennedy

Many of my rods are purchased with a technique in mind. The reels too are set up for certain techniques.  When selecting a rod, I am usually thinking of more than a single use factor.  As it turns out most of my rods can handle multiple presentation styles.  Frogging obviously comes to mind for a specific rod but I also expect to use the same rod for pitching and as it turns out other rods also do a fine job of pitching but not applicable to true mat style frogging even though the backbone suggests it could be done.  My dobyns 705 cb was bought for cranks but as it turns out it is very nice for swimsuits too.  My original LSCR is ok for spinnerbaits and small cranks but if I try a chatterbait the rod just beats me to death that is when the 705cb or 735c come into play.  I don't have a flipping rod and truthfully flipping/punching does not really appeal to me.  I would want a tough and longer rod for flipping if I did it so I guess it would be a technique specific purchase but not sure what else it would be good for that I don't already have covered.

redux

At first I only had one rod that I threw everything on. I bought an identical rig then a third to avoid any retying. Eventually I ended up with 3 identical MH and 2 H rigs that covered everything from senkos to frogs and was good for a long time.

Fast forward to today and I carry fewer rods (sometimes), and each one is for a specific technique. Different length, weight, action, reel, line and bait to handle a very specific bank-fishing scenario in central Florida. I usually only carry the first 4 of these with me.

6'6" H / MF with 65# braid on a Curado K 201 HG for weightless 6" senkos (5/0 EWG)

7" MH / F with 40# braid on a Curado 71 XG with an 1/8 ounce tungsten weight for worms and creature
baits (5/0 flipping hook)

5'6" M / M with 10# flouro on a Revo SX HG for 1/8 ounce jigs and 3"-2" grubs or swimbaits

6'8" (not sure about the length since I broke 5" off this the other week) MH / F with 15# Yo-Zuri hybrid on a Curado 201 HG with a 1/8-1/4 ounce weight for 3"-5" swimbaits (5/0 EWG) - I may swap this out so I can have a Donkey Rig on hand...but I have caught some beasts on this as is so I SHOULD buy a rig specifically for the Donkey...get off my back bait monkey!

7'1" MH / F with 15# Yo-Zuri hybrid on a Lew's Tournament MB Speed Spool XG for spinner or chatter baits (1/4-1/2 ounces)

7" M / MF with 40# braid on a Revo SX HG for top water but I will tie on smaller crank baits too

7'6" H / F with 65# braid on a Revo SX XG for frogs

I also have another 2 rigs that are just sitting around on the off chance I "need" something off the wall.
You can't win of you're not in.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: redux on May 24, 2018, 12:04:08 PM

5'6" M / M with 10# flouro on a Revo SX HG for 1/8 ounce jigs and 3"-2" grubs or swimbaits

6'8" (not sure about the length since I broke 5" off this the other week) MH / F with 15# Yo-Zuri hybrid on a Curado 201 HG with a 1/8-1/4 ounce weight for 3"-5" swimbaits (5/0 EWG) - I may swap this out so I can have a Donkey Rig on hand...but I have caught some beasts on this as is so I SHOULD buy a rig specifically for the Donkey...get off my back bait monkey!

That 5'6" sounds like the second short rod??? Does not sound like the first rod.

As for the Mojo... let me help you out since I have that missing piece. It measures 7.5". So the new length is right at 6'6.5" last I checked it...

So I take it the micro guide tip on that rod is serving well? Or are any leader knots hanging up in it???
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

redux

Good lord, man...do you live here?  ~roflmao

Yeah, 6'6" on the Mojo Bass MH / F is probably right. Anyway, losing the top bit made this rod 100% better. Originally it was way too tippy for my tastes and I never felt like I was getting a good connection to the fish despite it never failing to hook up properly. It just never felt solid. And yes, the tip top is working great. I do not throw a leader on that rig. Honestly, the leader experiment may well be at an end. I was nailing them last night really well on straight braid with both the GL2 (65#) and the Falcon (40#) and even had a couple hero moments I'll tell you about.

The 5'6" is either the Mitchell or the Berkley. The Berkley is more limber,, but they are both great so I have swapped between them.
You can't win of you're not in.

Kris

Back in the day, late 80s/early 90s, the Technique Specific description was not important to me. As I remember they were a little hard to find in those days also.
My major concern in those days was backbone for certain techniques. Medium Moderate or so for treble hook baits, Medium Heavy with as fast a tip I could find for other things and something a bit less than a telephone pole for flippin. BTW, in the early years it was hard to find a bass rod that wasn't a pistol grip.
Since then rod manufacturers have come a long way in my estimation. I stay focused on what rods for what techniques and I guess I am getting more Technique Specific now. Most of my specific ones are Dobyns and do other techniques. I have two custom builds by a Friend here kind of specific. I also have a couple of other manufacturers rods that aren't as technique specific.
I sort of miss those early years but I do not miss pistol grip fishing rods.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat