Hull Repair

Started by Msn26753, July 02, 2018, 08:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Msn26753

Ok... I know theres 10 million posts across the internet about this.. But Im still confused on what I need... My son decided to hit a piece of concrete beside a boat landing and put some nasty chunks out my hull... After threatening him, guess what.. I did the same dang thing a few weeks later...lol... Anyhow I have a procraft white fish and ski fiberglass boat.. The chunks are not thru the finberglass, just the white gel coat... probably 3 inches long and 1 inch wide.. I thought about marine tex, but thinking maybe a repair kit would be better.. There are Fiberglass resin, Gelcoat Resin, Gelcoat repari, Gelcoat patch, Fiberglass filler, gel coat filler and tons other junk out there.. I dont know what I need.. To be honest, its on the hull, so if its somewhat visible, no biggy..   But I do have some scratches on the top of the boat, that I was thinking while im at it, maybe I should take care of those too... Help....lol

Princeton_Man

I had a few chips and scratches in mine. several years ago, I used a Evercoat gelcoat repair kit I bought online. I made an absolute mess of it, wasn't the kit's fault, I just didn't take my time and do it right. My biggest concern was protecting the glass beneath the gelcoat and I accomplished that. Wet sanding and time has improved my nasty looking repairs.

Since that time, I managed a few more chips and scratches and I'm going to attempt to do a better job this time around.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Msn26753

Yeah..  Thats like me..  I use to love artwork in school..  But i tried to finish and paint a wall..  Could never gey it sanded down to look good...  Scared boat maybe the same..

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Msn26753 on July 02, 2018, 01:39:36 PM
Yeah..  Thats like me..  I use to love artwork in school..  But i tried to finish and paint a wall..  Could never gey it sanded down to look good...  Scared boat maybe the same..
I can paint a bucket or a lawn chair, not a wall.  ~roflmao
Actually, my excuse was pretty good at the time. Although I watched the youtube videos, I did it outdoors, it was hot, and the ground was wet. Looking back, I know it wasn't a great excuse. The main reason for poor work was poor effort and no planning. I ripped open the box and got started as soon as it was delivered.

If you're working on the bottom, do it on concrete or solid floor, in a garage if possible. A mechanic's creeper will make you more comfortable but if that's not handy, use a foam pad to lay on. Take your time.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club