Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Boat Project  (Read 361 times)

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
My Boat Project
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »

Well, my old and ugly Charger hull got it's newly-rebuilt 200 Opti on it a couple of weeks ago. Too bad I stole the boat from my tech before he finished it, but hey- the bass were doin' this little thing called SPAWNING on a local, trolling motor only lake.

Anyway, it's complete now (the motor fuel system, SmartCraft gauges, etc.).  So, next Monday or so, I'll be doing something that I haven't done since 2001- I'll be putting her on the big water of Lake of the Ozarks for some break-in time.

Then will come the real work. I plan to gut the boat of it's wiring (except for the now motor harness and SmartCraft stuff). Rip it all out. Then I plan to wire it to MY specifications, install new bilge pumps, new aerators, oxygenator, lights, 93sv Garmin at the helm, and the list goes on. I even bought two brand-new rod buckles for it.

What I'll have is everything brand-new on an old hull. An old hull that will handle, and more importantly to my old and FAT butt, it'll ride good.

I think I'm going to put Talons on it too in the near future. And maybe a PanOptx transducer on the front.

I also need a custom cover- it's an ugly boat (Charger was not known for using the best clear back then) but I think a good cover is essential. All in all, I have something like $8700 in this thing thus far. It helps when you have friends in the industry, a history in the boat sellin' business, and your mechanic is a friend also. And when I sell the Johnrude that came with the boat for about $4K (with less than $200 to make it run), well, do the math.

I've owned and ran new boats. But with the stupid prices, my age, and the fact that I don't have any ego that DEMANDS a new rig, or whatever, I'm satisfied that this rig will do me for now. I would like a twenty footer, yes. But depending on where this sport takes me, this one will do for now.

I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
Re: My Boat Project
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »

I hope you are going to document the project here. I'd love to follow it all along the way.

Good luck with it.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »

I think it looks purty, it's got experience and should fish like it know's how!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »

What a great boat, except for that Minn Kota on the front  ~roflmao

Chargers were awesome. If they had a better PR department I think they would have been top 3 contenders to this day.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:10:11 PM »

I have an ugly ducklin' myself ... don't care, it works and gets me to the water.  It's a 1990 Deep V tracker, everything on there is still original and it all works ... haven't had it that long either, maybe two years.  Plan on keeping it till it dies.
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • B.A.S.S. Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »

I like that color scheme.  We got a couple guys down this way that have Chargers.  I usually see them during the Fishing for Freedom event.  They were a popular boat back in the day especially there in Missouri.

Keep us updated with pictures when you start the project.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:00:03 PM »

What a great boat, except for that Minn Kota on the front  ~roflmao

Chargers were awesome. If they had a better PR department I think they would have been top 3 contenders to this day.

I reckon that I'll stand behind Minn Kotas until the day I die.

Chargers have always been a good, solid boat. They are also maybe the BEST riding boat in the world, alongside the older wide Champion hulls. They share the same look (and now are the same company) with the "cut-off" back end, aka a copy of the original Skeeter "Wrangler".

The lopped off rear corners however take away flotation, so these style hulls tend to set a little nose high. It's why I chose not to put a jack plate on her. Putting the motor even further back just makes the rear end set lower.

But I can dig a good, dry riding boat, and the 195 series Chargers gave you that.

I sold my first Chargers in 1987 and '88, and again in '94-'96. I was their #1 salesman in the country (#2 was in California of all places) those years. Charger never wanted to be that big. Original owner Bob Cox had several chances to sell out to larger companies, and I hear that the newest Chargers that Jim Dorris builds are second to none. But only two Chargers have ever fished the National stuff as sponsored boats.

Guess who almost got the third ride? Hmmm?

I would still buy a '98-2001 Tide Craft 225 Firehawk if one came along!

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:57 PM »

Ran the boat for the first time today. Minor issues mostly- I need a junction box for the SmartCraft gauge (on order), and I'll need to replace the oil tank on the motor itself (in stock).

It ran okay with the 25" three-blade, but it blows it out if you don't feather it out of the hole, and cavitates about 400 RPM in both left and right-hand turns. No biggie- I have a four-blade Fury to put on next time and I prefer four-blades on this hull anyway.

I never ran it over 4500 RPM- Optis are supposed to be run the first two hours with a load on them- trimmed down & plowing. So that's what I did.

The next few days in my spare time I intend to do some serious work, and I'll document the neater stuff. The list includes-

Remove and re-mount the trolling motor.
Get all the wiring at the bow (power trim especially) to work.
Screw down my recessed foot pedal tray and mount the pedal permanent.
Isolate the transducer on the trolling motor with some inner tube rubber.
Wire the front depthfinder with a designated circuit, eventually to a designated battery (Lithium).
Mount my Garmin 93sv at the console, install the transducer, and wire it up like the front depthfinder.
Install a Circuit Breaker panel on the console in place of the old fuse panel, and re-wire EVERYTHING through it.
Replace the aerators & bilge pump, and re-plumb everything.
Mount the battery charger.
Install new lid struts.
Buff the old girl out, and give her some wax. It won't help much, but I'll feel better.
Do some work on the trailer lighting, add a new winch strap, and build a new mount for the spare.

Later on Stuff-

I may upgrade with some new style interior lighting, black lights, etc.

And I'll probably sell the Garmin Stryker 73cv on the bow and replace it with a PanOptx-compatible unit. What's another $1400?

I'll be putting Talons on it someday, and I imagine I'll end up with an Ultrex too. What's another $6500?

Think I can get all this done before summer?

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 06:26:41 AM »

Think I can get all this done before summer?

If you close the restaurant. lo lo ;)
May I ask why you are doing the inner tube deal?
Rodney

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 09:33:07 PM »

The rubber should isolate the trolling motor and any possible interference with the transducer. I'm gettin' a little fuzz when the motor's runnin'.

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »

I'm gonna head down in the AM and finish the break-in. I'm way too busy for this, but I don't believe in draggin' it out. When I'm done I'll leave the boat with my tech to finish up the two items, plus he'll put the computer on the thing and make sure everything's clickin' properly.

One issue that I've survived so far- I went to fill the boat up with 93 octane fuel the other day. Oops. It only took three gallons. That means I have a tank FULL of two-year-old gas. It must be GOOD gas- the smell is okay and so far it's runnin' right. I'll keep on toppin' it off and keepin' my fingers crossed. Old gas can be very bad.

And finally- I put the four-blade Fury on this evening. It looks like a brand-new prop. Guess where it came from? C'mon- guess...

This prop was last used on Bill Dance's rig. Yup.

There's got to be a story there, somehow.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »

You stole Bill Dance's Fury? You're a baaaad man Mr. Verts!!! lo lo lo ::) 8) ~shade
Rodney

cojab

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »

I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out.
TTK has spoken.

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 09:58:57 PM »

Okay, I left it at the shop so the oil tank and j-box can get done. My buddy was there with HIS new (used) Charger that he bought this spring, and it was feelin' sick. So I helped our tech diagnose the issue and we ended up putting new fuel rails on. Runs sweet.

But Dave's oil tank on the motor was showin' low- ended up he has a pinhole in his main tank. And there wasn't any of those in stock. Before he could start cryin' I told him to take mine. It was like watchin' a NASCAR pit crewman- he had that thang out of my boat in less than a minute.

And before we left I gave him my new transom saver too. He didn't have one yet, and it hurt me to see that 250 hangin' off the back of his boat with no support.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »

You're a good man Dale!!! Now, about swiping Bill Dance's fury.....
Rodney

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »

your boat looks and sounds like it will do you just fine Dale and that was nice of you to give to give Dave them parts.  8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 24 queries.