Boat Crash at Black Bayou Benton

Started by DonM, May 17, 2018, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

I just talked to a man who lives on the lake and said he heard a tremendous crash last night right after a boat passed his property.  Evidently it ran into another boat, with people fishing in it. 
Lots of lights and ambulance.  I'm hoping it wasn't someone in the Wednesday night tournament.
DonM

Nutt

Man, thats horrible.  I hope everyone is ok.  What part of the lake?
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

DonM

I don't have any other information about it, but the guy I was talking to said it appeared there were injuries.  Ambulance called but not helicopter.
DonM

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Judge

Apparently high school age boys on way home after fishing Wed tournament ( they live on lake) were met head on with another boat with no runniing lights and also young people with alcohol. One or both swereved at last second to avoid head on collision. Not sure how significant injuries were or if any arrests were made. Getting this info 3rd hand but reliable source. I plan to follow up tomorrow

Bobby Saffel

Praying for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nutt

Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Captsteve

prayers sent

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

SteelHorseCowboy

I can't help but wonder if these accidents seem to be becoming more common because of more boats on the water?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DonM

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on May 18, 2018, 07:41:15 AM
I can't help but wonder if these accidents seem to be becoming more common because of more boats on the water?

I started fishing this lake in 1978, shortly after it opened, and when I moved to this area.  At the time there were NO houses on the lake.  You could see deer drinking on the banks pretty often.  Fishing was fantastic!
Now there are very few parts of the lake without houses, boat docks, jet skies and all types of boats.  It is a popular place to fish, ski and pleasure ride.  I avoid it on the weekends though it sometimes isn't bad during the week.  They are now having this Wednesday night tournament every week I think, and maybe a Friday one.
Now it seems that it isn't even safe to go at night.
And, I think I liked it better before it was stocked with Florida bass!  Seems I got a lot more, even if they didn't grow to be 11 pounds!
Anyway, I pray that no one lost his life in this accident.
DonM

SteelHorseCowboy

I have my thoughts for them too, and sincerely hope any injuries are quickly recovered from.
I know whatcha mean about all the houses. I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye in the 70's. Heck, he was still in high school.
Over here in my neck of the woods, you can't find clear bank areas unless it's just unusable land.

And that's changing! I'm currently looking for some land to build on or a home to buy. Finally got that savings. I came across a half acre online for sale for $35,000. Looked real familiar. So I looked it up on the map, and realized I was fishing in it the week before. Advertised as "GREAT WATERFRONT HOME SITE!" Sure, if you don't mind it going about 8' underwater occasionally.
And I'm used to land prices of $800-$1400 an acre.

Side note on the note of the age of the boaters, I saw a pair of kids out on Lake Darbonne last weekend, alone, in a nice boat. They looked about 12, didn't learn how old they actually were. My youngest is 12, he's bigger and looks older than both of them. They were professional, courteous (ONLY ones who slowed down as they passed us in our little rented canoe), and respectful when we met them later at the boat ramp when one of their dad's arrived to pick them up.

zippyduck

I just met and talked to one of the boys that was involved in the crash. He was one of the Wednesday nighters. He is doing good, has a lot of stitches in his head but otherwise doing good.
Very nice young man and see him on UB soon.

DonM

Are you staying at the park?  My house is about a mile from the launch at Black Bayou.
DonM

zippyduck

No I'm staying in bossier on airline dr. I just went there last night for a couple hrs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Captsteve

Quote from: zippyduck on May 21, 2018, 02:36:39 AM
No I'm staying in bossier on airline dr. I just went there last night for a couple hrs.

close to Mike

Steve
Headed for the Lake

zippyduck

Yes we fished together yesterday.

SteelHorseCowboy

You're leaving us hanging Zippy! Are the others doing okay as well?

DonM

I live about five miles from Mike.  Did you catch any fish yesterday?  I'm having a few problems related to medicines that make me extremely sensitive to the sun.  Have to wear too many clothes!  :)  I want to get together as we discussed.  I have your meal ticket!  :)
DonM

zippyduck

The boys partner is doing good also. Don't have any info on the other boat other than everyone walked away.
The other boat had a lot of empty alcohol containers.
I talked with the kid for over an hour and I believe the other boat was 90 percent at fault.

SteelHorseCowboy

Booze only mixes well with a few things...
Bar stools, or the couch at home...
Bathroom stalls...
Beer goes great with pizza, and other meals heavy on tomato sauce...
And a Gatorade or huge glass of water to wash down a handful of aspirin the next morning.

Recovering alcoholic, I'll be the first to say one should not operate anything more complicated than a toilet or recliner while boozing, and both of those can be risky under the right (wrong?) circumstances.
I've had one good friend almost drown in a crapper, and another shorten a finger by about a 1/4" with a recliner.
Last damn thing I'd ever do is attempt to drive a boat. I've rarely even gone near water while drinking. Being an excellent and experienced swimmer, I know it takes several minutes and a lot of pain to drown, and the waters have a mind of their own that doesn't always agree with yours.

Too many people think boats are toys or that being on the water means your safe from the hazards you'd encounter on the road. I know LADWF was handing out DUIs on Lake Darbonne just last weekend.

Captsteve

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on May 22, 2018, 10:21:47 AM
Booze only mixes well with a few things...
Bar stools, or the couch at home...
Bathroom stalls...
Beer goes great with pizza, and other meals heavy on tomato sauce...
And a Gatorade or huge glass of water to wash down a handful of aspirin the next morning.

Recovering alcoholic, I'll be the first to say one should not operate anything more complicated than a toilet or recliner while boozing, and both of those can be risky under the right (wrong?) circumstances.
I've had one good friend almost drown in a crapper, and another shorten a finger by about a 1/4" with a recliner.
Last damn thing I'd ever do is attempt to drive a boat. I've rarely even gone near water while drinking. Being an excellent and experienced swimmer, I know it takes several minutes and a lot of pain to drown, and the waters have a mind of their own that doesn't always agree with yours.

Too many people think boats are toys or that being on the water means your safe from the hazards you'd encounter on the road. I know LADWF was handing out DUIs on Lake Darbonne just last weekend.

I think a boat is more dangerous than an automobile mostly because many people have a false sense of security.  And the added danger of drowning

Steve
Headed for the Lake