Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which rod to go with  (Read 255 times)

brittain.mathew

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Which rod to go with
« on: May 17, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »

Im new to bass fishing and need advice on a good rod. I want to go ahead and spend the money to get something really good. I have used and love Duckett. I use artificial worms and lizards around cypress trees and shallow water. I also want to be able to use all other baits. Any advise? My spending window is 100-150

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Re: Which rod to go with
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Brother, I've used 'em all. Heck, I still do. BUT, I suggest you go the the Dobyns Rods part of this forum and have a look around.

I'v been doing this, both professionally and for fun, for 41 years. If I wanted to spend $100-$150 there's zero doubt that it would be on a Dobyns Fury or Sierra. All the information and the knowledge of folks who have used these rods for years, including Gary Dobyns himself, is right here at your fingertips.

Wishin' you the best of luck.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »

I also agree that you should give the Dobyns rod a shot. They are sponsors here but regardless of that I have 5 Dobyns rods and they are great tools.

Also don't forget they have a Refurbished section on their site that may work for you to get a higher quality rod at a great price.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »

What techniques do you plan to use with it and we can point you to the right Dobyns.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:34:26 AM »

Simple choice, it sounds like you want an all purpose type rod. Something that can do many things.
If thatís the case I highly recommend a 704 or 734
Sierra should fall into your price range at the high end. But I donít think youíll find a better rod for the price. And the 734 is my multipurpose rod. It can handle lighter baits up to 1oz.
Frogs in light - medium cover
Spinnerbaits
Soft plastics
Cranks
Topwaters
Jigs
Heck Iím probably missing some techniques here. But that would be my choice.

Outside of Dobyns I think 13 fishing makes some really nice and lightweight rods.

Iíve been playing with an okuma Helios and so far I really like it all except the hook keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:45:14 AM »

I am with Rick on this one. My Sierra 734c gets more use than any of my champions. Great for spinnerbaits and unweighted plastics. I've used it for topwater, cranks, spinnerbaits, jigs, small swimbaits, and senkos.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »

I think the best $100 rod on the market is the 13 omen black.  I would go with the MH power in whatever length suits you. 
 I use the muse black in the 7ft 4 heavy power for wobble heads , jigs, and swimbaits..It's a bit more than the Omen but a outstanding rod.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 07:26:45 AM »

Dobyns still has Rep Samples of the Savvy series for sale. The Savvy Microguide was replaced by the Sierra and had the same price range. I'm personally am very happy with the performance and for a $100 each, you can't beat the price. I just ordered another 703. Same warranty!

http://dobynsrods.com/store/#!/Rep-Sample-SSM703C/p/89906585/category=23844910

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »

Dobyns still has Rep Samples of the Savvy series for sale. The Savvy Microguide was replaced by the Sierra and had the same price range. I'm personally am very happy with the performance and for a $100 each, you can't beat the price. I just ordered another 703. Same warranty!

http://dobynsrods.com/store/#!/Rep-Sample-SSM703C/p/89906585/category=23844910
I have three of these, a 734 and two 735 Rep Samples Savvy series. The most used rods I have and they have been flawless. Not ultra light in weight or even ultra sensitive but great rods for jigs, pitching/flipping, Texas rigs, and numerous other presentations. Much better rod than a Duckett.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.