Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swimbait rod?  (Read 268 times)

RayJ

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Swimbait rod?
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »

I have bought and returned 4 different swimbait rods in the past week or two and haven’t used any of them. Crazy, right? I just can’t make up my mind. I want a rod for 1-3 oz soft body, paddle tail swimbaits. I ordered a St Croix BassX that is a 7’10”’Heavy. It is rated for baits from
1-4 oz. The thing is that this rod seems like it is too beefy. I couldn’t imagine a rod rated for a 8-10oz bait. Right now, the heaviest bait I have is a 2oz, 6” Hollow Body with an 8/0 weighted hook. I probably wouldn’t throw anything much more than that. I guess that could change though. I can return this rod now because I haven’t used it but I’ll be fishing Lake Fork the weekend of June 1-3.
   Is there any other rod out there in the 100.00-120.00 price range that would be good. I bought a couple others that I returned because they were rated to 1.5-2 oz max. A 3oz max would be perfect. The BassX is 1-4 oz so it might actually be a good rod. It just seems like it is a lot of rod for a 2oz bait. Has anyone used this particular rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
Re: Swimbait rod?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »

I have bought and returned 4 different swimbait rods in the past week or two and haven’t used any of them. Crazy, right? I just can’t make up my mind. I want a rod for 1-3 oz soft body, paddle tail swimbaits. I ordered a St Croix BassX that is a 7’10”’Heavy. It is rated for baits from
1-4 oz. The thing is that this rod seems like it is too beefy. I couldn’t imagine a rod rated for a 8-10oz bait. Right now, the heaviest bait I have is a 2oz, 6” Hollow Body with an 8/0 weighted hook. I probably wouldn’t throw anything much more than that. I guess that could change though. I can return this rod now because I haven’t used it but I’ll be fishing Lake Fork the weekend of June 1-3.
   Is there any other rod out there in the 100.00-120.00 price range that would be good. I bought a couple others that I returned because they were rated to 1.5-2 oz max. A 3oz max would be perfect. The BassX is 1-4 oz so it might actually be a good rod. It just seems like it is a lot of rod for a 2oz bait. Has anyone used this particular rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The St Croix rods are notorious for fishing heavier than their ratings. Try the Bass X 7'4" MH rod.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

loomisguy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: Swimbait rod?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 06:20:06 AM »

You may want to call Denali and ask about the Attax X heavy.I use the heavy for the the 130 W.P. and it handles it fine.
 It's in your price range and that model has a great action for moving baits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 25 queries.