Very hard on rods!!

Started by Gary Dobyns, May 10, 2018, 11:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Dobyns

Today I saw a guy driving down the highway with a buzzbait flying in the wind. It was hitting the other rods tips at 60 MPH. He had a spinnerbait and a jig also flapping in the wind. We finally hit a stop light side by side and he yells I LOVE your rods. Honestly, I cringed  :shocking: :shocking:  He was really cool and I asked him about baits flying in the wind. He wanted to chat fishing so we pulled over at a corner market. He said I see lots of boats with baits hanging off the end going down the road. I told him it's very hard on rod tips and asked about a buzzbait hitting the other rod tips. Again the guy was really cool and said he'd never thought about it. He told me I ought to do a seminar about this as many people just don't think about. As a lifetime warranty guy "I think about it" :)  So my tip of the day is use the hook keeper or reel for hooking your baits up. This tip is for all rod company's benefit :)  Yes, I do know this crowd is not your average fisherman for the most part so your perfect to help me pass the word.   ;D ;D  Of course we bullshi**ed and caught a few 10 pounders in the parking lot too. THX!!!!

Mike Cork

Thanks for sharing this Gary. I too see this all the time. Guys fishing with their buddies are the worst. They are used to having their own boat and don't think twice what having a rod hanging out the back of a pick up is doing.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

JDV

lo lo I'm guessing the title was unintentionally hilarious!  I clicked, but reluctantly ;D  lo lo

I can imagine how that could irk somebody responsible for the replacements of other people's carelessness.  After one time of not using the hook keeper while transporting a rod in my car, and having to cut the lure hooks out of the car seat after they buried in past the barbs, that was the only lesson I ever needed.  I always use the hook keepers now!

Wizard

A good tip. I don't have my rods in the wind but I have lost 2 truck antenna because of tying buzz baits on them to break them in.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Yep, good one Gary. I too have always shrunk in my seat a little when I've seen this. Bruising a blank over and over will lead to trouble.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Pacific NW Ron

Good point.  I'd say the same could apply to rods standing up vertically in a rod holder in a boat and running down the lake, or even rods hanging out the back of the boat bouncing around. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SteveTX

I am not perfect my stuff has flaws, accidents happen, but man how some people treat stuff makes ya wonder if they are wealthy or if everything is given to them. I grew up poor and still am not much better off. ::) When I have to bust my tail to buy something I really try and protect it within reason as much as possible.

I see guys at my boat ramp flopping a stack of rods in the jon boat like limbs headed to a landfill. I would cringe but I've seen it so much it doesn't bother me now.  And I see them look at me like I am a alien when I am putting on or taking off reel covers or rod sleeves. And no I'm not doing this on the ramp. lo I've actually heard a kid tell his dad they should do that with their rods so they would be messed up so often. :blue

Very good point Pacific NW Ron. I often think about the way rods are stored leaning against a wall or laying horizontally, even in a rod rack. I intentionally got vertical rod holders for home storage just hoping that this keeps the rods in as best condition as possible. 

Dink Dawg

Gary, I really enjoyed our visit. ~shhh

Oldfart9999

What about the pros that like to reel the bait tight to the tip guide?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Gary Dobyns

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on May 12, 2018, 09:04:06 AM
What about the pros that like to reel the bait tight to the tip guide?
Rodney

Rodney you're right too. Reeling baits and hitting the insert of the guides is asking for trouble. This is #1 reason the tip guide is the most replace guide on all rods. It's a hard habit to break. The painful part is guys do it and when an insert fails it's the guides fault. Angler's are never at fault :):)  Great point Rodney.

Princeton_Man

Great post Gary!  ~c~
I cringe at the way some guys treat their fishing rods and gear.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 21, 2018, 05:51:43 AM
Great post Gary!  ~c~
I cringe at the way some guys treat their fishing rods and gear.

I look for rods with lifetime warranties.  purchase them that way.

have broke 3 rods in my life.  ONLY one did I return for replacement (shimano cumara).  the other two were MY FAULT

figure a lifetime warranty is not a license for stupidity on my part.