Randy Haynes has a meltdown at Kentucky lake FLW tournament

Started by Fun4me, May 19, 2018, 06:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun4me

I'm just going to give a brief account of what happened. I'm not sure what I can link under the rules of this site, so I will let some of you with better understanding of the rules link if they wish.

FLW tour
Kentucky lake
Day three start
Jason Lambert leading
Randy Haynes in second

Day starts and Randy and Jason are drag racing to the same spot on the lake.
Jason gets there first, but only slightly (according to FLW commentators)
Both are fishing the exact same spot with their boats touching each other.
Words are being exchanged, with Randy ultimately pulling his trolling motor, heads back to the takeoff, loads his boat and goes home. Randy said it wasn't anything to do with Jason specifically (they are supposed friends that live close to each other) but he was frustrated with the etiquette change on the tour in regards to sharing spots.

It seems like kind of a cry baby move to me, considering he has sponsors to worry about. What say you?

According to FLW theere will be full coverage of this on FLW live in the morning.

Wizard

I have some questions because I didn't hear of this. Under the rules I fished with:
The first to reach the spot owned it unless--one of the anglers had fished and sat on the spot before. Poor sport to take a competitor's spot. This is important as angler's fish for money and scream loudly if someone breaks the rules. There has always been words over who got there first. If the angler first on the spot hadn't fished it previously but saw his competitor fishing it or heard about him catching good fish, the tournament director should get involved.

Now, Haynes was in second place and still had a chance to win. I don't call it a cry baby move but sheer stupidity.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Man... these guys are FRIENDS. As an older guy I understand. Would I have quit? Probably not. Haynes showed his frustration in a hugely professional manner (there's been so many worse altercations in pro fishin'. Heck- ALL of 'em have been worse).

It was the mans' prerogative to leave, and quit for the day. Maybe forever.

This thing is gonna be huge, and not one cuss word was said, or threat was made. Worse things happened in a hundred crappie tournaments this spring.

I've been there, and done that. At the Pro level. This was nothin', other than a "first".

I'm done. Watch the scales fly.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

Man, the old days. Fists would flyin over this. Feelin's hurt and friendships broken. Kind of makes me wonder how Roland lived so long.

Wizard

LgMouthGambler

It was pretty funny. I was watching theblive feed on it on YouTube yesterday. I was doing something in the kitchen and then noticed them side by side. Thought that was strange, but figured they were doing some BSing as well. Then I realized that it was not staying very friendly. Oh well, thats fishing for ya. If they were good friends, why not just fish? Maybe I dont have that "get off my spot" mentality.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FlatsNBay

Of course, the one time that I pick the leader in fantasy fishing, he up and quits the tournament! Dang it!!

Fun4me

Lambert said it was a community hole. They were both catching fish off of that spot the previous tournament days, and Lambert got to the spot first this time. He offered to share it with Haynes, but Haynes took his ball and went home. I can't see how this isn't anything but a negative for Haynes, assuming he hasn't quit the tour and professional fishing, and even then, it's a bad way to go out IMO.

Captsteve

I just searched it on YouTube.  WOW

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Fun4me

Watching the live feed, and Lambert already has a limit for 25 +/-. He caught 3 in the first 3 casts of the day.

bassmedic46

A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work. Take a kid fishing

Fun4me

Quote from: bassmedic46 on May 20, 2018, 02:34:34 PM
I couldn't find the you tube link

Search FLW fishing on youtube. go to FlW's videos page and look for FLW Live Coverage/ Kentucky lake/ day 3 They discuss this matter in the beginning as well as a few times throughout the coverage.

bassmedic46

A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work. Take a kid fishing

basss

I would not have left the tournament if I left the spot, I would have fished somewhere else.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

jocko

https://scout.com/outdoors/bass-fishing/Article/Lambert-Nets-30-Pounds-Haynes-Withdraws-at-FLW-Tour-on-Ky-Lake-118371852

Yeah bizarre event. 

Just watched FLW Live.  Feel totally different.  Haynes just decided he didn't want to fish that way.  I respect that he didn't lose his cool and made his decision and left.  Sometime you can just get fed up and punch out.  Bizarre. 

I wouldn't have walked away from the potential winnings.  He still won 12K.  He could have made the same point after weigh in.    Still think he could have fished another spot and came back to the ledge after Lambert. 

Maybe FLW needs a better rule about distance and hole sharing.   Lambert clearly won the race to the spot by mere seconds.  Both men had fished it and the hole was a community hole not belonging to anyone. 

BassCatBates

Wow.... poor Randy... he didn't get his way so he took his toys and went home.  Obviously they have both been on the spot.  Technically Lambert got there first and it should have been his spot.  He agreed to share, so I don't see the issue.....
I'm not a community hole kind of guy.... I ain't sharing if I don't have to... if you beat me to my spot, I'll just go somewhere else... but I'm not gonna quit and go home.  That's pitiful.
2009 MediaBass South Arkansas Division Angler of the Year.

Union County Bass Club.

SteelHorseCowboy

On a boat and have the whole lake available...
Get pissed and leave over not getting one spot to yourself?
I'd expect more maturity in a kindergarten class, but I do have a "get out of my spot" mentality. It's because bank space is limited and I sometimes have boaters literally block me off from the areas I can cast to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nutt

I would not have loaded up and went home.  I THINK he is upset because now a days, unwritten rules aren't followed like they once were.  I see it out here on our lakes quite a bit.  I think he could have handled the situation differently, but he did what he did.  None of us really know the whole story.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

SteelHorseCowboy

I just watched the video and laughed out loud. As Randy's leaving, you can see 7 more boats in the background, two pairs look that they're only 10'-15' apart.
Just purely spectating, or also fishing, I couldn't really tell.
I couldn't see how come they couldn't at least just space out a little bit so they're not close enough to smell each other's deodorant.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

WTodd

FLW version of taking your ball and going home. Decisions have consequences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coldbasser

lo lo
LMAO
As a professional quote unquote you don't run away and pout.
Sponsores Fans & everyone whom contributed to you be able to participate as a "PRO" should be disappointed with that decision. I played pro hockey & had to battle friends on other teams & we remained friends after. We went to battle against each other & we shoo hands after it was done. No quarter asked for no quarter given. Do your best and the rest will look after itself.
Cheers
In God we trust, but evil occurred when good men do nothing

Kawidaddy

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 20, 2018, 06:29:34 AM
Of course, the one time that I pick the leader in fantasy fishing, he up and quits the tournament! Dang it!!

Yup...had him on my team as well. I was setting about 300th place before he quit, I finished like 800th'ish.

cport

Quote from: Wizard on May 19, 2018, 08:22:44 PM
Kind of makes me wonder how Roland lived so long.

Wizard
I see what you did there... lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

coldfront

Quote from: coldbasser on May 22, 2018, 02:04:48 PM
lo lo
LMAO
As a professional quote unquote you don't run away and pout.
Sponsores Fans & everyone whom contributed to you be able to participate as a "PRO" should be disappointed with that decision. I played pro hockey & had to battle friends on other teams & we remained friends after. We went to battle against each other & we shoo hands after it was done. No quarter asked for no quarter given. Do your best and the rest will look after itself.
Cheers

for those of us 'cry-babies' I applaud Randy's decision.  his choice.
Frankly, if that was 'his' spot for previous 2 days, community hole or not, as LEADER there should have been a bit more respect, I THINK.  seems fair.

for those who are 'et up' with tournaments and competition, this is the not so great side of it.  I get it 'rubbin' is racin'.

perhaps a few folks are remembering when fishing was fun.

Fun4me

It would be interesting to know from some pro's if it's just an unwritten rule that the leader gets his choice of spot on the 3rd and last day, even if he doesn't get to that spot first.

cport

Quote from: coldfront on May 23, 2018, 12:26:40 PM
for those of us 'cry-babies' I applaud Randy's decision.  his choice.
Frankly, if that was 'his' spot for previous 2 days, community hole or not, as LEADER there should have been a bit more respect, I THINK.  seems fair.

for those who are 'et up' with tournaments and competition, this is the not so great side of it.  I get it 'rubbin' is racin'.

perhaps a few folks are remembering when fishing was fun.

You know, my initial reaction was crybaby as well. But if you think about it, this guy has a lot at stake, and he put it all aside to make a point about the way things are in the tourney circuit these days. He could have filed a formal protest, or went some where else to fish, maybe even finished first, but neither of those options would have had the impact or visibility; I mean look, its still getting talked about, and it may cause some kind of response by the tour organizers. He felt so strongly about this issue and I'm sure it is shared by others in the tour, but he is the one who sacrificed cold hard cash and possible endorsements to bring this issue to the forefront.

How many weekend anglers are crowded by tourney practicers who give no quarter? How many bank fisherman have had these guys roll up in their cast lines? He may have spoken for all of us who seek a return to a more genteel and FUN way of fishing.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣