My latest baitcaster purchase - Abu Garcia Revo S

Started by Kris, May 20, 2018, 06:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

One benefit of my working part-time was that I got to find out about clearance items. One of the items was an Abu Garcia Revo S that was missing the brake knob, the one that adjusts the spool. Let's say that I got that for less than $30. The second one I bought was on clearance for $43.97. The lowest price on these reels was $89.70.
I brought the first one home and started looking for the parts to replace the brake knob. Total cost on that ended up near $25.00 for knob and parts inside it. I kept trying to figure out how the side plate came off to adjust the brake system because there was no outside magnetic brake adjustment. Didn't figure that out and ended up buying the other last one that we had. I finally figured out that these reels have "Pitch Centrifugal Brake Systems". These are not adjustable in any way.
According to the pamphlet that came with the second one these reels were available with an externally adjustable "MagTrax Brake" that fine tunes it. When I started looking on the Internet I noticed that there were both available. My assumption, from one review, is the Centrifugal Brake system is the next generation.
I knew I wanted to try these out so I put one on my Dobyns Champion DC736CB Glass rod and started winging 20+ diving crankbaits with it. Next I started throwing Chatterbaits with it. Both lures allowed me to throw them at great distances. This was described by Mike Cork as a Country Mile and I think he might be right. No backlashes using P-line CXX but using Seaguar Red Label Fluoro was not good.
Both reels have:
8 bearings, 7 stainless ball and 1 roller.
Carbon Martix Drag System
Specialized frame design called X2-Craftic Alloy frame
I am really impressed with their operation for larger crankbaits and chatterbaits. Since I have two I will probably try one for flipping/pitching with my Dobyns FR765flip later in the Season. It will replace an Abu Garcia Silver Max that is on there right now.
As most of you know I do not spend hundreds of dollars on tackle. I want to try out some other $100-$150 reels but that is going to require saving up. I know that one of the Daiwa Tatula Line will be mine one of these days. I might even want to try out one of those 1 3 Fishing orange, no bearing reels but it will be used if at all. It just crests my forbidden zone on reel pricing.
Good luck with your purchases.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Donald Garner

Sounds like you got a great deal there.  I'm a big Abu Garcia fan.  I have several of their low profile reels. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

basss

I have several Abu Garia reels.  You can't go wrong with them.  They last forever.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: basss on May 22, 2018, 10:05:23 AM
I have several Abu Garia reels.  You can't go wrong with them.  They last forever.
As long as you're willing to buy one with an MSRP >$40 I'm sure.
I'd love to try another Abu low pro out, but that Black Max really put a bad taste in my mouth and now I'm kinda gear poor. Have too much invested in more gear than I can use at once.
They're the only thing my dad uses, but none of his are bargain basement entry models.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

basss

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on May 22, 2018, 10:52:14 AM
As long as you're willing to buy one with an MSRP >$40 I'm sure.
I'd love to try another Abu low pro out, but that Black Max really put a bad taste in my mouth and now I'm kinda gear poor. Have too much invested in more gear than I can use at once.
They're the only thing my dad uses, but none of his are bargain basement entry models.

Yeah, I think the Black Max is one of their cheaper reels.  I started with the Orra and worked my way up to the Revo s-  one of the smoothest longest casting reels I have.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

SFL BassHunter

I think going with the cheap entry reel for almost every brand is a bad idea. I'm talking those less than 50 dollar reels the big brands make.
The BPS 30 dollar baitcaster was damn near impossible to cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Kris

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on May 23, 2018, 06:00:04 AM
I think going with the cheap entry reel for almost every brand is a bad idea. I'm talking those less than 50 dollar reels the big brands make.
The BPS 30 dollar baitcaster was damn near impossible to cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you Rick. I know there are a lot of people out here that have tried a low cost baitcaster and said never again. It probably wasn't their fault but the reel that caused them to give it up. I had a Tourney Special and hated that reel.
My thing has always been to look for deals on $100 or so reels. I am real happy with my Daiwa Excelers ($50 ea new), AG Revo S ($45 ea new) and Shimano CU-201 Curados ($20 ea used).
I have a young man bringing me his new low priced baitcaster combo with a massive birdsnest. I believe it is one of those like you see in the BPS Bill Dance commercial. " I think you should trade that one in". I am going to try and get it out but may have to cut it out from the description. If it needs to be respooled I can handle that for him and give him a little instruction on how to use it.

SteelHorseCowboy

I don't think it's one of their cheapest, I think it IS their cheapest.
Mine wasn't too hard to use either, taught a young kid how to handle it in about ten minutes and he'd never even picked up a rod and reel before. It just didn't last long at all once I started using it regularly.

redux

Revo SX is the cheapest Abu I'd go with. But, I'd feel like I got ripped off because I can spend another $10 for a Shimano K and not have to replace the bearings or worry about the perforated piece of aluminum under the reel handle from falling off. I have had that happen on a few Revo SX Gen 3s.
You can't win of you're not in.

Kris

Quote from: redux on June 26, 2018, 06:41:18 AM
Revo SX is the cheapest Abu I'd go with. But, I'd feel like I got ripped off because I can spend another $10 for a Shimano K and not have to replace the bearings or worry about the perforated piece of aluminum under the reel handle from falling off. I have had that happen on a few Revo SX Gen 3s.
Let's just say that these two S models were for sale at Dick's. Last sale price was $89.70. I bought both on clearance for less than half that money. I am not sure what the difference is but these do not have magnetic adjustments. I can tell you they work really great with something you want to cast the paint off.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Kris on June 26, 2018, 02:50:27 PM
Let's just say that these two S models were for sale at Dick's. Last sale price was $89.70. I bought both on clearance for less than half that money. I am not sure what the difference is but these do not have magnetic adjustments. I can tell you they work really great with something you want to cast the paint off.
Sounds to me like you got some left over Gen3s. Your S is a good flipping reel for pitching baits to targets. Its got a special centrifugal setting for it with the tabs.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bretts_daddy

The new Revo X is a really nice reel too and for $100 it's probably one of the best in it's price point. It's drawn rave reviews from just about everyone who's reviewed it so i wouldn't hesitate for a minute to grab one if i needed another reel but I wouldn't go any lower than that! I just bought my wife a Gen 4 Revo S not to long ago and it's a really nice little reel, very smooth and cats far.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!