Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Popping noise  (Read 383 times)

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Popping noise
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »

Hopefully im posting in the right section.. Anyhow,  ive got a 2002 silverado 5.3 4x4.. I picked up at a good deal less then year ago.. Anyhow,  drives real good.. Last night pulled my boat out of water fine..  I had left my chicken dinner lunch in floorboard while fishing so needless to say, i rode home with windows down... Lol...  Anyhow,  i noticed with windows down,  when i was at dead stop,  and gave alot of acceleration i heard a 1 time pop sounds like coming from under truck like drive shaft..  If i gave a little  acceleratin then it didnt do it..  I dont notice it when windows are up or when i was pulking boat out of water..  I have no idea,  maybe normal or may have always done this,  because normally i have windows up..  What yalls best guess,  ujoint,  slip yoke? I havent tried it while i wasnt under load,  just noticed it last nite..   

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Popping noise
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »

Possibly a U joint
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldratt

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »

My Silverado needs periodic grease packed into the slip joint (where the drive shaft slips into the trans).  I know it needs it when I hear a clunk when I take off or speed up from a turn.

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »

Im gonna try and take a look and see what i can figure out.. Hooefully thats all it is.. Weather is not cooperating..lol.. 

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »

I thought that since it is a Chevy that it was supposed to make that sound.   ~roflmao

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »

I thought that since it is a Chevy that it was supposed to make that sound.   ~roflmao
Hey Lo Lo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

Thornback

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:58:46 AM »

I vote with the ones who say dry slip joint or a U-joint going bad.

sillybass

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 10:50:47 PM »

Its a 4x4 possible that  the transfer case chain is popping or transfer case it low on fluid because the pump has an anti rattle clip that breaks and pump moves back and forth causing it to rub a hole in the back case half causing other internal damage.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »

Could be a much more simple issue. Check to see if it happens without the boat.
If you have brakes on your trailer or a swing away trailer tongue, there could be a slight amount of play in either of those and it could sound as if it's coming from under your truck near the rear u-joint because it's connected to your truck via a hitch mount that may extend far enough forward that the end may be right behind your rear chunk. Depends on year, make and model of both.
Also, even with a good pin, most hitch inserts have a slight amount of play in them, which would cause a similar noise affected the same way.
There could also be some play between your ball and trailer hitch. All of these sometimes sound like a chain reaction noise, with multiple back to back clunks, but just as often it's only a single pop.
Anytime I've heard a noise like you describe while hauling a trailer, that's always been the first thing I've checked by dropping the trailer and trying to recreate the sound. Every single time it was a trailer related sound, except for once. I worked on pipelines for quite a while, and hauled a trailer daily. Because of the loads I was hauling and liability reasons, I put more time and company money into maintaining my towing equipment and trailer than the truck itself. That one time out of hundreds, did turn out to be a u-joint. If it's just a small pop, it's probably worn bearings. If your u-joints have grease fittings, grease 'em and see if it goes away. If it does, replace them when possible, but spend the extra few bucks to replace them with u-joints that have grease fittings so you can maintain them more easily. Also if it's some worn u-joint bearings, you may not even be able to detect it while the truck's not under a load, so take a close listen if you end up with anything heavy in the bed.
If you start getting vibrations and a sound like a small engine over-revving, you've cracked something.

Also keep in mind, all vehicles make some weird as hell noises that you often can't hear with the windows up. Most people never notice the tiny suspension and brake squeaks, rattling hubcaps, loose weather seal around their lights, minor rattles from grills and tailgates, and other little things like that unless their windows are down. Then they get alarmed over nothing.
Your suspension itself may have some shift in it while under load, especially if you have rear leaf springs. That's usually nothing to worry about unless it feels excessive.
Know why Chevys rust more than Fords?
Cause they last long enough to rust.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 07:33:27 AM »

Still havent had a chance to look more into it.. I think its the ujoint.. Got tons of stuff going on around here and weather playing a factor.. Probably the best excuse, is being plumb lazy and hadnt got to it...lol.. Hopefully in next few days I can get around to getting under it.. I will keep updated, just in case anyone else runs into same question...Thanks

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »

Still havent had a chance to look more into it.. I think its the ujoint.. Got tons of stuff going on around here and weather playing a factor.. Probably the best excuse, is being plumb lazy and hadnt got to it...lol.. Hopefully in next few days I can get around to getting under it.. I will keep updated, just in case anyone else runs into same question...Thanks

Here ya go let me help you out  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »

Here ya go let me help you out  ;D

Lol...  Nice

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.