Spinner bait rod?

Started by 3crows, May 29, 2018, 12:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3crows

What in your opinion makes a good spinner bait rod? And reel?

Been looking at a Falcon JC, like the Mojo too. Of course, I like the favorite around here, the Skeet reese Spinnerbait also  lo.

J
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

Smallie_Stalker

If you are looking for brand specific rods and reels be prepared to get a wide variety of answers.  lo  And maybe just as many questions, like what weights of spinnerbaits are you throwing, what type of line are you using, are you making short roll casts tight to cover or slinging the bait long etc.

For reels I prefer something with as high an IPT rating as possible. It's really common for a bass to hit your spinnerbait and then run straight at you so you need a reel that picks up as much line as possible on each turn of the handle. Remember, it's easy to slow down with a fast reel, but you can't make a slow reel go any faster. My persoonal preference is a Gen 3 Abu Garcia Revo Rocket.

Now rods IMHO are a different situation. You are going to get a variety of answers here because much of it is personal preference. Some of it can also has relate to the type of line you use.

For me personally I like a rod with slightly slower tip for spinnerbaits than a lot of guys, but this has some to do with the fact that I use braid, so to make up for the super low stretch factor I like the slightly slower tip so I don't pull the bait away from the fish. I still want plenty of backbone to keep control of the fish once it's hooked though.

I think any 4 power Dobyns would be a good place to start. I've got my eye on a Dobyns Sierra 704C for spinnerbaiting because that line has slightly more tip than others in the Dobyns lineup. If you prefer a faster tip the other lines of Dobyns all have something that will fit the bill.

Anyway, that's just my $.02 I'm sure others will have some different choices and advice for you.  :)

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

cortman

Depends on your budget. My two favorites are the Megabass Orochi XX EMTF and the Orochi Spinnerbait Special.

Oldfart9999

I like BPS Cranking sticks, as far as a reel something with a around a 5 to 1 ratio around grass so I can winch them out around something around 7 to 1 for open water so I can get them in fast. Normally I use mono or flouro, 17 to 20 lb test.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Donald Garner

I use a BPS Extreme 7ft MH fast tip matched with a REVO S 6.4:1 bait casting reel.  Line of choice is Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb Mono.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

zippyduck

Dobyns Sierra 734 with a Daiwa Tatula svtw spooled with 15lb P-line flouroclear.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

basss

What are you planning on fishing with it, lures and weight wise?  Has quite a bit to do with what you should get.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

3crows

Thanks fellers. Uh, I was actually asking, not for a specific rod recommendation, but for your thoughts on what characteristics make a good spinner bait rod. Then I could use that to help me choose between the $69 Skeet Reese SBR, $99 JC Falcon SBR and the $129 St. Croix Mojo SBR.

What sort of lure, well, uh, a spinner bait! You know, the cloths pin looking thing with one or two blades on it. Typically 3/8 ounce.Bait caster of course, probably a mid range or even lower end Shimano.

I like bang for buck in fishing gear. Not opposed to high end stuff but if I can get 80% of the feel and performance of high end stuff at 33% of the other's price, I am okay with that. And I do have high(er) end gear, just not thinking a spinner bait outfit, is where I will put it. More likely to go higher price equipment for my worm fishing outfits because I do more of that, or top water (including frog).

Thanks.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: 3crows on May 31, 2018, 07:05:35 PM
Thanks fellers. Uh, I was actually asking, not for a specific rod recommendation, but for your thoughts on what characteristics make a good spinner bait rod.

The action and tip is what makes for a good spinnerbait rod. You want the tip and the action to be a little bit forgiving but have a strong parabolic back bone so that you keep nice steady pressure on the fish and not run the risk of pulling the hooks.

Dark3

Dobyns 704c is an outstanding SBR. The 7' rod is perfect for accuracy.

3crows

Quote from: Dark3 on May 31, 2018, 07:15:25 PM
Dobyns 704c is an outstanding SBR. The 7' rod is perfect for accuracy.

I believe, you. But what rod characteristics make it accurate and good for a spinner bait?

I know such things can be difficult to quantify or describe.

3C

Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

Dark3

Quote from: 3crows on June 01, 2018, 07:35:07 PM
I believe, you. But what rod characteristics make it accurate and good for a spinner bait?

I know such things can be difficult to quantify or describe.

3C
Something about this rod feels perfect. Its an absolute combination of power, action, balance, and length. The tip is just right, like grandma's pourage, not too hot, not too cold. The power will pull in the biggest hoss, and the length is great in my hands but with length thats really based on your personal dynamics and preference. If you like to "beat the banks" say what like 15-30 meters off the bank with a nice reel it just feels "right". I have had this rod in multiple dobyns models and from mid to high level price points and they perform roughly the same. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3crows

Quote from: Dark3 on June 01, 2018, 07:57:38 PM
Something about this rod feels perfect. Its an absolute combination of power, action, balance, and length. The tip is just right, like grandma's pourage, not too hot, not too cold. The power will pull in the biggest hoss, and the length is great in my hands but with length thats really based on your personal dynamics and preference. If you like to "beat the banks" say what like 15-30 meters off the bank with a nice reel it just feels "right". I have had this rod in multiple dobyns models and from mid to high level price points and they perform roughly the same. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info, appreciated. Will add Dobyns to my list. Though, I am partial to Falcon as they are down the road from me, local boys ya know.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

Dark3

Quote from: 3crows on June 01, 2018, 08:54:53 PM
Thanks for the info, appreciated. Will add Dobyns to my list. Though, I am partial to Falcon as they are down the road from me, local boys ya know.
Oh I feel ya. Gotta support your local economy and peoples.

3crows

Just so you know, I currently use a Falcon Herm Bucoo which is a 6'6"" MH, MF rod with a Curado 200 and 6.3 gear ratio. It works quite well as a general purpose rod including spinner baits and the shorter length is advantageous for use from my kayak. I was thinking something with a 6'8" to 7.0' length with a slightly softer tip and perhaps a 7+ ratio reel to really buzz a chatter bait or a fast spinner bait. The Skeet Reese is not only the least expensive but it seems to meet that criteria more than the other rods I have looked at.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

loomisguy

I own a bunch of Falcons and I think the Cara Head turner makes a great spinnerbait /Buzzbait rod. Also works well for bigger walking baits like a Spook, Vixen, Repo man ect.
The Dobyns mention before is also a good choice, Although I like the 703 over the 704 but that's just personal preference. Most of the time I throw a War Eagle Screamin Eagle which is a 1/2 oz. bait on a 1/4oz frame, it's a easy bait to cast.
Since you like the W&M rods the Witch Doctor Surman 50g is a Graphite/glass blend and is just a outstanding moving bait rod.

3crows

Well, it is like this. I hope y'all do not think you wasted your efforts on me. But, I was in Cabalas for some items I needed to do some wiring for my boat (not much choice around these parts when it comes to boat items)and so I went back over to the fish stuff. Picked up the Skeet Reese rod and it felt good and picked up the Mojo and it felt better but did it feel nearly twice better$? So I wandered around, looked at the new Ruger Mk IV (nice) and then went back and found the Falcon BRC-5-168 and that is a spinner bait rod in the Bucoo SR (and the rest) and it felt the nicest at a in-between $ point. So, I already have a bunch of Falcons and only one Skeet Reese and one Mojo so I took the Mojo Spinner Bait rod home. It should do for jerk baits also, MH and MF action at 7 feet length. So it goes, I got the one that felt second best of the three and cost the most ~b~.None were USA made, in a Falcon I would have to move up a step to get that, the Mojo is Mexico which is at least a neighbor and a North American product, the Skeet rod is China I imagine?

Now I need a reel. It will be Shimano, sorry, I only do Shimano and occasionally Diawa. And again I like mid range stuff that works good and low end stuff that works better than it should. Sooo, 6 ratio or 7 ratio or?
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish

caddyjoe77

Quote from: 3crows on June 02, 2018, 09:43:37 PM
Well, it is like this. I hope y'all do not think you wasted your efforts on me. But, I was in Cabalas for some items I needed to do some wiring for my boat (not much choice around these parts when it comes to boat items)and so I went back over to the fish stuff. Picked up the Skeet Reese rod and it felt good and picked up the Mojo and it felt better but did it feel nearly twice better$? So I wandered around, looked at the new Ruger Mk IV (nice) and then went back and found the Falcon BRC-5-168 and that is a spinner bait rod in the Bucoo SR (and the rest) and it felt the nicest at a in-between $ point. So, I already have a bunch of Falcons and only one Skeet Reese and one Mojo so I took the Mojo Spinner Bait rod home. It should do for jerk baits also, MH and MF action at 7 feet length. So it goes, I got the one that felt second best of the three and cost the most ~b~.None were USA made, in a Falcon I would have to move up a step to get that, the Mojo is Mexico which is at least a neighbor and a North American product, the Skeet rod is China I imagine?

Now I need a reel. It will be Shimano, sorry, I only do Shimano and occasionally Diawa. And again I like mid range stuff that works good and low end stuff that works better than it should. Sooo, 6 ratio or 7 ratio or?

gear ratio -- it depends.  I know I know....

for me, most of the time I am throwin a spinnerbait with nothing more than a 6 gear.  That is because when I throw a spinnerbait it is really deep and I treat it like a crankbait.  Or, it is early pre-spawn or in the fall when the water is cooler. 
BeerMe

3crows

Thanks Caddyjoe. I was thinking a 6 ratio but now I am thinking a 7 ratio. I usually use spinner baits running fast, skipping under brush and buzzing them. Also would use it for my collection of old Spence Scouts, the ChatterBait and maybe even Hawaiian Wigglers also.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish